Leonardo Andam- R.I.P

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
The Anito Kid has posted on FB that Leonardo Andam has died. Here's what he wrote.....

"Our condolences to the family of Filipino pool player Leonardo "Dodong" Andam. A member of the Filipino Invasion, the Rattlesnake, aka Dodong Dadiangas, succumbed to a heart attack last night. RIP champ!"

I've always liked Andam. Him and Luat were often over-looked in favor of Reyes, Parica and Bustamante. He played just a notch under their speed though, so his placing is fair. But I've always like his stoic nature, he had a good cadence and pace at the table and he was fun to watch. He sat in the chair like Ralf Souquet, expressionless.

May God comfort his family and friend as they grieve his passing.

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
he was the guy who reached top-32 of the World Pool Championship in 2007 using a $10 cue. it was world champion Wu Chia-Ching who was able to stop him from making it to top-16.

Rest in peace, kapatid.

Last edited:

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm shocked to hear this. He couldn't have been very old.

I'll never forget the time he spent a few weeks in San Diego. He was a pleasure to watch. The last time I saw him play was at the Town and Country event (in SD). That might've been back in 1996. He surprised many top players, including Buddy Hall, as he made his way to the finals. He looked so strong, most observers picked him to win over Archer in the finals but Archer prevailed. It was an amazing display nonetheless.

RIP, Leonardo.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Leonardo Andam was one of the four players on the original 'Target Pool' video.
Kim Davenport's Target Pool... with Leonardo Andam, Buddy Hall and CJ Wiley.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
To his family and friends I'm sad for your loss. About 25+ years ago I was fourtunate/unfortunate :grin: to play him/match play in Denver in a big event, at Table Steaks in Edgewater on the front shimmed 9' GC. His demeanor was great, his table manners were very accommodating and his ability to play on a dirty, shimmed worn cloth front table was impressive. He made one shot on me I still vividly remember to this day and had only seen it a couple times before. When I compare him to the other pinoy players during that time, he was right there with all cept efren, but he could definitely beat efren in match play. His appearance as a player reminded me of Little AL Romero from Los Angeles, nothing fancy cept the balls went in the hole all the time, especially for this man. RIP

Will be interesting to hear what Helfert will say.

Last edited:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Man, this is terrible news. :( RIP Leonardo, and sincere condolences to his family and friends!

-Sean

ga9ball

South West Buyer!
Silver Member
Leonardo Andam

My sympathy goes to his family! Another great player sleeps with the Pool Gods!
R.I.P. Leonardo

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Sad to hear. I saw him play dozens of times but didn't know him well.

In the late 1990's on the PBT, he was nearly as feared as the rest of the Fillipino contingent of Reyes, Bustamante, Luat (and sometimes Lining).

Ten years ago, I dedicated a thread to a shot Andam played in New Bedford Massachussets. It's one of the best shots I've ever witnessed. Here's the thread for anyone who is interested.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=7706&highlight=Leonardo&page=3

blackpearlmaker

Caliper User......
Silver Member
What a sad news, I remind Dodong as a simple and very silent player with no emotion on his face and surely one of the best pinoy players

My sincere condolence to his family. RIP Dodong.

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
EDIT ---------------> Mr. Andam may you live a long and healthy life.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I'm shocked to hear this. He couldn't have been very old.

I'll never forget the time he spent a few weeks in San Diego. He was a pleasure to watch. The last time I saw him play was at the Town and Country event (in SD). That might've been back in 1996. He surprised many top players, including Buddy Hall, as he made his way to the finals. He looked so strong, most observers picked him to win over Archer in the finals but Archer prevailed. It was an amazing display nonetheless.

RIP, Leonardo.

I remember seeing him in that tournament.
I believe it was 1995. That was the year Swanson passed away.
Weeks before that tourney.

RIP Dodong Dadiangas Andam.
He came from the same town as Manny Pacquiao

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
certainly a great Champion among Filipino Champions

Leonardo Andam was one of the four players on the original 'Target Pool' video.
Kim Davenport's Target Pool... with Leonardo Andam, Buddy Hall and CJ Wiley

Leonardo finished 1st in one of my TV Tournaments at CJ's (defeating Earl Strickland in the finals) and was certainly a great Champion among Filipino Champions. He competed in many of the same tournaments in the PBTA Tour and was always a pleasant, professional gentleman of the game.

Sad to hear the news, RIP my friend, peace and grace be with you.

Bayawak

Tirador
Silver Member
Paalam Dodong Andam

May you rest in peace, Dodong. I'll miss the times that we were on the road playing for money and beating anybody and everybody who could hold a cue. Efren once confided in me that Dodong was the only player that they were not able to beat consistently during the days.

It's customary for every pool players from the Philippines to cut their teeth in Manila pool halls. If you can play and maintain your speed in Lucky 13 pool hall where Efren was the King, then you can play anywhere in the world!

Dodong put the fear of God into a lot of players. I honestly believe that Dodong was one of the greatest money players who ever lived.During his stay with me here in Northern Virginia, he once gave out the 2,5, and 7 to a local shortstop.I put up the money with much trepidation on my part because of the handicap that he was giving but he assured me that was not going to lose.

The guy was so terrified of Dodong that he missed two ducks sitting in front of the pocket. Dodong did not miss a shot all night long.

RIP Dodong!! We will miss you, my brother from another mother!!

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
The Anito Kid has posted on FB that Leonardo Andam has died. Here's what he wrote.....

"Our condolences to the family of Filipino pool player Leonardo "Dodong" Andam. A member of the Filipino Invasion, the Rattlesnake, aka Dodong Dadiangas, succumbed to a heart attack last night. RIP champ!"

I've always liked Andam. Him and Luat were often over-looked in favor of Reyes, Parica and Bustamante. He played just a notch under their speed though, so his placing is fair. But I've always like his stoic nature, he had a good cadence and pace at the table and he was fun to watch. He sat in the chair like Ralf Souquet, expressionless.

May God comfort his family and friend as they grieve his passing.

I never got to know Leonardo Andam but I only heard good things about him.

JoeyA