billy kirshner AKA billy the kid

PoolRookie

Minnesota
Silver Member
Was he tall w dark black hair? If so he came through Tennessee once with a short larger women and they were broke. They said they were from Oklahoma. Anyway he was staked playing a shortstop player named Steve at JOB’s in Nashville and dogged it for $1000. All top players matched up w Steve when passing through in the 90’s and gave him the 7 and won easily. This Billy guy got pummeled easy even.

I seen him around 2003 too at a truck stop in Jessup Maryland. He was living out of his van and playing cherry masters to win stuff to sell. Looked 30 yrs older although it was only ten yrs since I seen him in Nashville.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was he tall w dark black hair? If so he came through Tennessee once with a short larger women and they were broke. They said they were from Oklahoma. Anyway he was staked playing a shortstop player named Steve at JOB’s in Nashville and dogged it for $1000. All top players matched up w Steve when passing through in the 90’s and gave him the 7 and won easily. This Billy guy got pummeled easy even.

I seen him around 2003 too at a truck stop in Jessup Maryland. He was living out of his van and playing cherry masters to win stuff to sell. Looked 30 yrs older although it was only ten yrs since I seen him in Nashville.

If it is the same dude we are talking about...matches my recollection of his build too.

He seemed like a solid player to me, but certainly not near a top player's speed.

Mkbtank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

No that is not him. Not tall or dark black hair. Different guy.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No that is not him. Not tall or dark black hair. Different guy.

Did I saw beat and then get beaten definitely said he was Billy the kid.

Not that there can't be more than 2, I guess.

Kinda sucks to go in pretending you are someone else, then that someone else gets a beat down. Dammit! I should have never let that guy out.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That wasn't Kirshner. BTK i know is(was) a skinny 5'10 dude from philly. Plays one 1p and cards.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The billy in this thread is from Philly. Good player, but about the 7 below the top Philly players.

I gambled with him a couple of times in the past 15 years. Once was a gaff game I got the best of. He’s skinny and plays one hole as mentioned.

I wonder if he’s called billy the kid because he looks young? IDK.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The billy in this thread is from Philly. Good player, but about the 7 below the top Philly players.

I gambled with him a couple of times in the past 15 years. Once was a gaff game I got the best of. He’s skinny and plays one hole as mentioned.

every good young player named Billy starts off as Billy the Kid for the most part- Kinda like Eddie and 'Fast' You know 'Bata' means kid right? Sometime a nn will stick and sometimes they dont.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

And the pool room I referred to here was just a few hours south of Philly and near i95. There was a good bit of $ in action there and a few known names did pop in.
I do think you and I refer to the same guy.

Slivka was parked there for a while and I don't think the kid could tangle wit Gerry at anything on a pool table. Not that he would tried...surely he knows/ knew Gerry. Id think maybe Gerry did some steering, except he would NOT have streered btk into a mma opponent.

Or would he...? Hmmmmmm

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think there was another BTK-Billy Miles/Myles IIRC -Kid from South Mid America somewhere- Use to show up at Markley's during the SBE in the fairly early days- before the 'Pit' got going.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
And the pool room I referred to here was just a few hours south of Philly and near i95. There was a good bit of $ in action there and a few known names did pop in.
I do think you and I refer to the same guy.

Slivka was parked there for a while and I don't think the kid could tangle wit Gerry at anything on a pool table. Not that he would tried...surely he knows/ knew Gerry. Id think maybe Gerry did some steering, except he would NOT have streered btk into a mma opponent.

Or would he...? Hmmmmmm

Where did Gerry go? I remember him from the old Tiger Tour, I left for overseas for about 6 years and when I got back he was long gone...Loved watching him and Mike Davis tangle.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where did Gerry go? I remember him from the old Tiger Tour, I left for overseas for about 6 years and when I got back he was long gone...Loved watching him and Mike Davis tangle.

I kinda think it is Jerry with a J- I first saw him at Fast Eddies in Arlington around 93 or so. He,Ginky and Hatch finished one two three in a fairly large event but i forget who won-he or Ginky. I know it wasnt DH as i remember him sitting on the side of the building literally crying after his final loss.

At any rate Jerry is likely 45-50 now and probably it was time to get serious before he found himself a busted ex pool player.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I kinda think it is Jerry with a J- I first saw him at Fast Eddies in Arlington around 93 or so. He,Ginky and Hatch finished one two three in a fairly large event but i forget who won-he or Ginky. I know it wasnt DH as i remember him sitting on the side of the building literally crying after his final loss.

At any rate Jerry is likely 45-50 now and probably it was time to get serious before he found himself a busted ex pool player.

Yes, I think you're right, it was Jerry with a J. I had heard he'd moved to the deep south (Mississippi?) and found religion and a family (?), but was slipping back into the game...but that was a long time ago, I forget a lot and what I don't forget I remember wrong... :cool: He was one hell of a grinder, though.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is Gerry...no J.

I heard he hitched up with a gilmer family member in Starkville.

Not sure about validity of that...but I do know he didn't have too strong a job allergy, so 100% believable to me that he'd go for the sure $.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Off the web:

Dr. RH "Unk" Gilmer, Jr., 61, of Starkville, MS died Saturday, March 24, 2012. He was a Professor of Finance at Mississippi State University where he had also served as Director of Graduate Studies in the College of Business. He was the owner of Southern Billiards, and the owner of A Bail Bondsman. The son of RH Gilmer and Frances Jordan Gilmer Windham was born February 23, 1951 in Canton, MS. Unk graduated from Carthage High School class of 1969. He continued his education at Mississippi State University earning a Bachelors in Finance, Masters in Finance, and a Masters in Business Administration. He went on to the University of Illinois, Urbana- Champaign to receive a Masters in Science and his Ph.D in Finance. His teaching career included positions at McNeese State, University of Illinois, University of Oklahoma, and Mississippi State. He was also a certified billiards instructor for the Billiard Congress of America. He is survived by wife Cindy Watkins Gilmer, daughter Doella Gilmer of Nashville, daughter Melanie Gilmer of Starkville, son Sam Gilmer of Starkville, and grandchildren RH "Seger" Gilmer and Isabella Azleigh Slivka, also Whitney Junkin and Jerry Slivka. He was preceded in death by his sisters Mable Jean Sliverii and Pat G. Crane. A visitation will be held Tuesday, March 27 from 4 to 6 pm with a memorial service to follow at The Chapel of Memories on the campus of Mississippi State University. Visitation will be Wednesday, March 28 from 12 to 4 pm and funeral services at 4pm at Wilcox Funeral Home in Carthage. A Celebration of RH's Life will be held at The Gilmer Family Home Friday, March 30 at 8 pm