Matchroom: last chance for gas!

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I traveled a good bit during my career before I retired. I remember many times seeing signs that said, "LAST CHANCE FOR GAS".....

Well, a current thread about Matchroom and a little slip/mistake is making a big splash with some......I was one of them until I thought about it. I know, me "thinking" is a VERY SCARY thought...lol.

Anyways, I'm starting to feel like MATCHROOM "may" be the equivalent of a sign that says:

LAST CHANCE FOR POOL FOR A LONG TIME!!!!!

Yes, I did post a negative comment in the other thread saying that what happened was not a good business practice and even said it seemed shady/dishonest.

Yes, what caused the other thread is an issue that needs to be addressed and handled in a better way in the future or it will be a nagging regret that happens over and over. What is the fix? I don't know but, I'm sure the powers in charge will figure it out.

My point is:

LAST CHANCE FOR POOL......

I can't get it out of my head.

Sure, if Matchroom fails / gives up....pool will still exist and eventually, no matter how bad things get, pool will come back strong at some point.

But...... WHEN???? The when is my concern. For most that are, say.... 50ish and older, well, "we" may NEVER live to see pool in the spot light again.

Very young players...say.... early 30's and younger and especially, the generation behind them will probably see pool rise to glory but:

We will not, in my opinion unless EVERYONE gets behind Matchroom and pushes ever chance they get.

I can't not think:

LAST CHANCE FOR POOL

Rake

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Whether it's pool's last chance is debatable. Whether the US Open represents American pro pool's last chance to get Matchroom integrally involved in American pool is less debatable.

Despite a couple of bumps in the road, though, the event is already a success in that it has brought players almost never seen on American soil to the open, in particular some of the elite Asians. It is easy to bemoan having a field of 256, but it's a breath of fresh air that the world has shown up in droves to America's signature event.

Let the good times roll!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool is doing fine for the world.

It is a hobby. What do you think the world is going to derive from it?

Nothing they can't get from acrobatics, bike riding, curling, diving, equestrian sports, fencing, gymnastics, handball, ice skating, judo, kayaking, lacrosse, motorcycle racing, night gardening, parcours, rodeo, surfing, triathlon, volleyball...

And how dumb would it sound to you if your neighbor told you your $upport was needed for a pro archery tour?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I follow arm wrestling, and its a niche sport just like pool, and shares a lot of similarities. They are in the same boat as far as trying to get an audience, and sponsors. Most of the time there is an angel investor that hangs out for a couple of years, then vanishes when they realize nothing ever changes, and the big money wont come in with the status quo.

The WAL (the World Armwrestling League, the biggest thing in the US, and pretty much the rest of the planet minus parts of Europe), just had their first big event of the year. They fill out the crowd with people off the street, and still look small. This was a $2.99 ppv on Bleacher Report Live, and then they gave it away for free the next day on youtube.

https://youtu.be/9HWSwh0WhhA?t=5898

Pool is not on its last legs, however to have a 'pro tour', the model that has been tried and failed for decades needs to be discarded.

Bonus ball was on the right track, but made several mistakes with their choices.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member

Nothing they can't get from acrobatics, bike riding, curling, diving, equestrian sports, fencing, gymnastics, handball, ice skating, judo, kayaking, lacrosse, motorcycle racing, night gardening, parcours, rodeo, surfing, triathlon, volleyball...

And how dumb would it sound to you if your neighbor told you your $upport was needed for a pro archery tour?

Night gardening?

Dang straight:thumbup:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

yep. except for tv coverage it's no worse than most niche sports. weightlifting gets some tv here in europe, but very few people are making a living of it. the same could be said about many sports

but of course as a pool fan, i want it to boom

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whether it's pool's last chance is debatable. Whether the US Open represents American pro pool's last chance to get Matchroom integrally involved in American pool is less debatable.

Despite a couple of bumps in the road, though, the event is already a success in that it has brought players almost never seen on American soil to the open, in particular some of the elite Asians. It is easy to bemoan having a field of 256, but it's a breath of fresh air that the world has shown up in droves to America's signature event.

Let the good times roll!

Indeed. And a very positive side effect of Matchroom taking on the US Open is the WPA adding a tournament with 50k added. They missed a trick last time round with the world championship. Here’s hoping the good times roll on and on and everybody works together for the good of the game.

Matchroom has done an amazing job with darts and snooker. These are not major North American sports leagues, major European soccer leagues, golf or tennis. They are niche sports that have been elevated beyond the niche. If they achieve even 1/10th of the success of darts and snooker with pool we should be smiling.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Matchroom is by no means the last chance for American Pool. It just takes
people to get together to put it in a direction in order to make it a product. However
getting pool players together in order to do anything? Herding Cats.

I traveled a good bit during my career before I retired. I remember many times seeing signs that said, "LAST CHANCE FOR GAS".....

Well, a current thread about Matchroom and a little slip/mistake is making a big splash with some......I was one of them until I thought about it. I know, me "thinking" is a VERY SCARY thought...lol.

Anyways, I'm starting to feel like MATCHROOM "may" be the equivalent of a sign that says:

LAST CHANCE FOR POOL FOR A LONG TIME!!!!!

Yes, I did post a negative comment in the other thread saying that what happened was not a good business practice and even said it seemed shady/dishonest.

Yes, what caused the other thread is an issue that needs to be addressed and handled in a better way in the future or it will be a nagging regret that happens over and over. What is the fix? I don't know but, I'm sure the powers in charge will figure it out.

My point is:

LAST CHANCE FOR POOL......

I can't get it out of my head.

Sure, if Matchroom fails / gives up....pool will still exist and eventually, no matter how bad things get, pool will come back strong at some point.

But...... WHEN???? The when is my concern. For most that are, say.... 50ish and older, well, "we" may NEVER live to see pool in the spot light again.

Very young players...say.... early 30's and younger and especially, the generation behind them will probably see pool rise to glory but:

We will not, in my opinion unless EVERYONE gets behind Matchroom and pushes ever chance they get.

I can't not think:

LAST CHANCE FOR POOL

Rake

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Indeed. And a very positive side effect of Matchroom taking on the US Open is the WPA adding a tournament with 50k added. They missed a trick last time round with the world championship. Here’s hoping the good times roll on and on and everybody works together for the good of the game.

Matchroom has done an amazing job with darts and snooker. These are not major North American sports leagues, major European soccer leagues, golf or tennis. They are niche sports that have been elevated beyond the niche. If they achieve even 1/10th of the success of darts and snooker with pool we should be smiling.

Very well said.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member

If the WPA is creating and funding a tournament that is something new. Is there no outside promoter involved in this?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the WPA is creating and funding a tournament that is something new. Is there no outside promoter involved in this?
CSI and Predator are co-promoting both the WPA event last week and the upcoming World 10ball.

Last edited:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
CSI and Predator are co-promoting both the WPA event last week and the upcoming World 10ball.

My point here is: Where is the added money coming from? If its CSI and
Predator all the WPA is doing is getting their money for sanctioning the tournament
which in effect means they aren't doing anything unless they are forgiving their
sanctioning fee.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My point here is: Where is the added money coming from? If its CSI and
Predator all the WPA is doing is getting their money for sanctioning the tournament
which in effect means they aren't doing anything unless they are forgiving their
sanctioning fee.

Fair point. My point was that this wouldn’t have happened if Matchroom hadn’t taken on the US Open.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can get all the top players from The Americas, Asia and Europe and elsewhere in the same place at the same time then you are probably doing something right.

Last edited:

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe this US-Open is going to be successful and one more good start for our loved game to get out of the shadow. Matchroom team knows their stuff very good and I'm sure they are capable to make a great product and show. For the time being I'm just very happy that finally we have possibility to watch this great event in good quality online and free. For somebody who loves this game but lives in such country like I do it is a big step in front and it is a great step to get some new blood in the future. I wish Matchroom to do their best and get all the needed support to achieve their goals. I'll be happy to see them come back at the WPC 9-ball in the future. I remember those much better times when it was held by them.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Fair point. My point was that this wouldn’t have happened if Matchroom hadn’t taken on the US Open.

I can agree with that but let's not let on as if the WPA is doing something
charitable if they aren't. Matchroom is in a business venture to sell streaming I would suppose.
Between the foreign market they are in and the US market I would hope they not only do well but
make a way translate their success into a way that the top tier players benefit from it as well. If everyone wins that's always good.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
My point here is: Where is the added money coming from? If its CSI and Predator all the WPA is doing is getting their money for sanctioning the tournament which in effect means they aren't doing anything unless they are forgiving their sanctioning fee.

How do you figure, Robin? Though they do not fund the prize pool, WPA has responsibilities when it sanctions events. which are too numerous to list here, but some of the more obvious are:

1) WPA manages the world pool calendar. Did you know that when you get an event sanctioned, you get date protection from other events being sanctioned during that same time period? That's an enormous advantage from a marketing standpoint and it protects you from someone else trying to tempt the top players into playing in a competing event.

2) WPA has rules for entry that tend to obstruct those who wish to block diversified entry. It's member countries are all guaranteed invitations for its players, and that's important as WPA sanctioned events form the basis for a player's world ranking. The best players need to have equal access to a top world ranking, and WPA tries to ensure that they do.

3) WPA must collect and maintain results for use in the world rankings.

4) WPA must oversee potential substance abuse in its events.

Here on the AZB forum, WPA bashing is all too common, and there's no doubt that, in part, it is because Americans have so rarely played in WPA sanctioned events in recent years. This, no doubt, has made WPA less important to American players than others.

... but things are on the move. In the last six months alone, the addition of a) the Players Championship in Las Vegas, b) the International 9-ball in Chesapeake and the c) World 10-ball Championship in Las Vegas, to the American pool calendar will greatly change the level of American participation in WPA sanctioned events. Three new WPA sanctioned events in America is something we should all understand is a positive step forward.