United Billiard League

UBL.NYC

I was hoping to get some constructive feedback and thoughts on the Ball-in-Hand handicap system introduced in the United Billiard League. I was asked by Peter Margo to build divisions and leagues for the UBL in the New York Metro area. I'm receiving great response from lower ranked players ( 2's, 3's and 4's and D's and C's) and really hard, and sometimes harsh, push back from higher ranked players. And oddly enough, no complaints at all from local pros.
Considering that the United Billiard League is paying out over $37,000 per session and over $250,000 in the finals as prize money, I am a little confused by some reactions that I've received.

I have my own thoughts, but I wanted to hear from the many sound voices here.

Thanks
Gerard

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
So, if a 7 is playing a 3, the 3 would get bih 4 times for every game of the match. I'm assuming there is a similar race like in APA?

Oh, is there coaching allowed?

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member

Well....since the OP really wants to know THAT badly:

IMHO, I think the BIH rules are simply "dumbing-down" the game of pool. You're going to breed a whole generation of players that will never learn cue ball control nor invest the time it takes to learn it.

I say games "on-the-wire" is the way to go once you learn how to TRULY handicap a player (good luck with that). At least a player getting free games will eventually have to learn cue ball control if that person wants to better his/her chances of winning.

He wanted opinions so there's mine.

Maniac

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And chicken kebab with garlic sauce and a red hot sauce (Tabasco, crystal, Tejas pedro...). So good.

Getting hooong-ry!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190919-103222.jpg
    Screenshot_20190919-103222.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 523

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was hoping to get some constructive feedback and thoughts on the Ball-in-Hand handicap system introduced in the United Billiard League. I was asked by Peter Margo to build divisions and leagues for the UBL in the New York Metro area. I'm receiving great response from lower ranked players ( 2's, 3's and 4's and D's and C's) and really hard, and sometimes harsh, push back from higher ranked players. And oddly enough, no complaints at all from local pros.
Considering that the United Billiard League is paying out over $37,000 per session and over $250,000 in the finals as prize money, I am a little confused by some reactions that I've received.

Thanks
Gerard

Two different issues here

(1). Is the multiple ball-in-hand thing a good idea?

For a company-party pool tournament that is unlucky enough to have a few pool players in the mix, maybe. As a core structural thing for a league?, no.

--games are useless for FargoRate
--game-specific strategy will dominate in time
--highly manipulable

(2). Advertising/promoting a league by some large singularity-like payout?

There are a few things going on right now involving pool players and money and enthusiastic supporters that make me feel like I need a shower. This is one of them.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
And chicken kebab with garlic sauce and a red hot sauce (Tabasco, crystal, Tejas pedro...). So good.

Getting hooong-ry!

Daaamn that meal looks like it doesn’t suck at all.

There’s a place called Mama Lucia’s around here. They make this Chicken Cacciatore with penne pasta..Er Ma Gurd it’s so delicious, I’ve got some left over in my fridge right now

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Daaamn that meal looks like it doesn’t suck at all.

There’s a place called Mama Lucia’s around here. They make this Chicken Cacciatore with penne pasta..Er Ma Gurd it’s so delicious, I’ve got some left over in my fridge right now

It is SO good.

Close to $15 though. Unless it is carbon fiber, I am cheap, so I am restricted to 1 kebab visit per week...sadly.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks
Gerard

Oddly enough? Really? Of course bangers are going to love giving them the illusion of being good, of course the low A to shortstop is going to complain because as good as they maybe they can't consistently run out. "Well the pros don't mind"...well no S! First of all "pros" have to be professional. So if you walk up to one and ask them about your new league they aren't going to say,"You know, I'm not really feeling this multiple ball in hand thing." They will humor you. Secondly, they don't give a crap about a BIH handicap because they are good enough for it not to matter.

Last edited:

TonyFL

Registered
So, if a 7 is playing a 3, the 3 would get bih 4 times for every game of the match. I'm assuming there is a similar race like in APA?

Oh, is there coaching allowed?

No, it's not an either / or system. If a player is ranked a "2" they would get two BIH per rack. Likewise, if their opponent is rated a "4" they would get 4 BIH per rack. Both players would be able to utilize the number of BIH per rack that they are ranked at.

I do believe that (limited) coaching is allowed and a handicap BIH is not allowed on the 8-Ball.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, it's not an either / or system. If a player is ranked a "2" they would get two BIH per rack. Likewise, if their opponent is rated a "4" they would get 4 BIH per rack. Both players would be able to utilize the number of BIH per rack that they are ranked at.

I do believe that (limited) coaching is allowed and a handicap BIH is not allowed on the 8-Ball.

So the higher your ranking number the more you suck? How will they handle players sand bagging or getting better as the season goes along? Oh wait, scratch that. Don’t bother answering, I don’t really give a shit.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Never said either or, but if you are rated you get bih every single game for the entire match.

Too bad the guy who started the thread won't come back and answer any questions ??

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Be honest, how many BIH would you need from SVB to play him in a race to 20 for $10K ?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Be honest, how many BIH would you need from SVB to play him in a race to 20 for $10K ?

I've always wondered if I could hang, if I got BIH after any miss by top pro.

And on that topic: I am still interviewing backers. Please form line to the left.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I've always wondered if I could hang, if I got BIH after any miss by top pro.

And on that topic: I am still interviewing backers. Please form line to the left.

How about per game? I'm thinking you would take 1 bih from SVB per game in a race to 20. And love doing it. In a 9 ball game, that would be huge.