Becue reviews?

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's been over a year since a few members on AZ Billiards did reviews of these cues. I have heard from a few of them to see if they are still using their Becue.
I was curious if anybody else has purchased a Becue and if so, what they think about it.
So let's hear it....the good, the bad or the ugly. What do ya think?

ahk10

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never hit with a playing cue but I have the break cue and love it. Solid as a rock

wibo

Registered
I've been playing with my BeCue for over a year now and I've stuck with it. I sold my Exceed. My BeCue is carbon black throughout and has a Kamui black S mounted. I'd like to try the Pro Taper, but actually I'm completely satisfied.

J Soto

The NON-Myth
Silver Member
I don’t own a becue, but I tried one at this years expo. I really liked the hit and feel of the cue. Extremely low deflection (comparable to the revo). I didn’t like the finish on it though. You can now purchase just the shafts from them...I would’ve gotten a shaft if it wasn’t for the price.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody else play with a Becue?

I play with a Becue and have left all my other cues in the closet since I started playing with it. My other cues are custom cues that I have had made and higher-end production cues that I have ordered to my specifications.

The Becue hits as good as any cue you are going to find, unless you find the "Holy Grail" cue somewhere.

The hit of the Becue is super solid and consistent and no matter where you hit the cue ball it feels as though you are hitting center ball (like it has a super large sweet spot). The hit feels the same as hitting with a wood shaft, only better. By that, I means it feels like you are getting the full power from the shaft transferred to the cue ball and it gives you more confidence that the cue ball is reacting like you are trying to make it react.

I have called the Becue a "point and shoot" cue many times, because it feels like that is all you have to do because its consistent hit gives you more confidence.

No matter what cue you have, you aren't going to just pick it up and start hitting balls like Earl Strickland, unless, of course, you already play as well as Earl.

To me, it is much easier sighting down the solid snow-white Becue shaft than it is looking down the REVO, which is solid black. With the REVO shaft and a dark tip, I lose a bit of "tip to cue ball" distance perception because the tip and shaft blend together. The white Becue shaft with a dark tip lets you see exactly where the tip is in relation to the cue ball. For some, that might not matter, but for me, it does.

I have both Becue shafts...the 5.1 conical taper shaft with a 11.8mm tip and the Prime pro taper shaft with a 12.mm tip. I use Ultra-skin soft tips on both shafts.

I have the weight bolt system and am currently using the weight that give me a 19.5 ounce cue. The weight bolt system is called a "balancing" system, but it isn't really balancing anything. It is just adding more weight in the back of the cue. I think the normal balance point, without any weights, is about at the 18-18.5 inch mark.

The paint finish on the shaft is smooth, but the paint gives it a "tacky-sort" of feeling if you don't have hands that are always super dry. I use a glove and that makes the shaft a lot easier to slide, especially if you use a closed-tight grip, like I do. To make it even slicker, I wax it with Renaissance Wax a day or so before I'm going out to play.

I'm sure the Becue shaft will play well with pretty much any butt, but I think the Becue butt. being made out of carbon fiber, adds a lot to the "hit" of the cue. Like I said earlier, I don't think you will find anything that hits much better. Using the Becue shaft on any other butt may make your cue look a little prettier or fancier, but I'm quite sure it isn't going to improve the hit.

For me, I like it "SIMPLE". I'm happy with the Naked butt.

Aloha.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got a bit of time and nothing to do at the moment, so I decided to get my Becue ready for playing on Sunday.

Cleaned the cue with alcohol and then waxed it up nice with Renaissance Wax (butt and shaft).

Checked to see what size weight I had in it and saw that I was using the half-ounce bolt. I think I will change it to the three-quarter ounce bolt and see how that works. Playing under last week's conditions, I think the extra quarter-ounce would have given me a tad more "punch".

Decided to break out the calipers to see how "true to size" it was.

SHAFT 1: Prime Pro Taper Shaft (29")

12mm at the tip

12.52mm at 6" down

13.3mm at 12" down

16.74mm at 18" down

20.42mm at 24" down

21.44mm at the shaft joint (.842")

BUTT: Naked model (29")

21.44mm at the butt joint (.842")

25.29mm at 12' down from butt joint (.994")

29.01mm at 22" down from the butt joint (1.14")

30.5mm at the very end of the butt cap (1.20")

BALANCE POINT (measured by balancing it on my finger, with no weight bolts inside...Becue 12mm Prime Pro Taper shaft...shaft 29" and butt 29")

Balances at 19.25" up from the end of the butt

Balances at 18'' up from the end of the butt with a 1-ounce weight bolt inside

SHAFT 2: 5.1 conical taper shaft (30")

11.8mm at the tip

13.57mm at 6' down from the tip

15.1mm at 12" down from the tip

17.57mm at 18" down from the tip

20.49mm at 24" down from the tip

21.44mm at the shaft joint (.842")

BALANCE POINT (measured by balancing it on my finger, with no weight bolts inside...Becue 11.8mm 5.1 conical taper shaft...shaft 30" and butt 29")

Balances at 19.25" up from the end of the butt

Balances at 18" up from the end of the butt with a 1-ounce weight bolt inside

I found it interesting that the balance points remained the same even though both shafts had different dimensions and the 5.1 shaft was an inch longer.

Balances at 14.5" up from the end of the butt of the cue with the 10" 5-ounce extension on it. (24.5" from the bottom of the extension)

For the record: These were measured while I was "eye-balling" the measuring tape and calipers and laying on the bed. Accuracy may be off by a "smidgen".

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That’s quite an endorsement HawaiianEye. I assume it’s pretty resistant to dents? Any problems with the feel of the shaft in your bridge?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That’s quite an endorsement HawaiianEye. I assume it’s pretty resistant to dents? Any problems with the feel of the shaft in your bridge?

I use the 12mm Pro Taper and a tight-closed bridge with a glove and have no problems. Actually, the glove increases the size of my bridge because of the "thickness" of the material, which makes my bridge grip more to my liking. I have always used a larger than 13.mm shaft and using the 12mm, without a glove, makes my bridge feel different than I'm used to.

As far as dents, I'm pretty good about not banging my cues up. I NEVER reach out and tap and slide balls around the table with any of my shafts...NEVER. I RARELY ever hit my cue on anything, but I have knocked the Becue over once and it bounced off the floor (no carpet) without too much damage. I looked it over and it may have picked up a microscopic surface scratch on the butt, but nothing worth noting.

Using my wood shafts, I NOTICE every little ding and, no matter what you do, you will almost always get some little dent from something that annoys me. It is refreshing, playing with the Becue shaft and never feeling a little "ding".

I'm sure you could hit it against something with a "sharp edge" and "chip" the paint off the surface, but (knocking on wood), I've yet to do that.

It SURPRISES me at all the comments on here about "dents", since I'm so "anal" about not banging up my cue and have never done so in over 50 years of playing.

I see people in the leagues with some seriously expensive cues that are banged up and the shafts are dinged and dented like they have been smacking it over the table and balls a lot. I guess it doesn't bother them, or they don't play well enough to know the difference.

Last edited:

dakol

Registered
Got my Becue Prime M 12.0 in July. The hit is great but did take a little getting use to it. Came with the standard ultraskin tip which I'm thinking about changing to a G2 soft. If I had to do it again I might of gone with the 12.5 but I'm happy with mine.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got my Becue Prime M 12.0 in July. The hit is great but did take a little getting use to it. Came with the standard ultraskin tip which I'm thinking about changing to a G2 soft. If I had to do it again I might of gone with the 12.5 but I'm happy with mine.

I think my original Becue shaft had an Ultra-skin black medium tip on it and I changed it to my normal Ultra-skin soft black tips and I liked the feel much better.

I use those soft tips on all my cues and I like them better than the G2 softs that are on a couple of my other shafts. They are way cheaper, also.

I just got another new Prime 12.0 in the mail from Italy this week. I may give it a try tomorrow, but I may decide to keep it unhit, since I have another one just like it in my bag.

I recently got a Meucci Pro carbon fiber shaft and I want to test it out against the Becue Prime. My Prime is 12mm and I think the Meucci is 12.1mm. The tapers are different and my Prime is white, so it isn't as "slick" as the Meucci. I'm going to compare the difference in "feel" and "action" while setting up and shooting the same shots with both shafts. I'm sure the Becue will have a different "feel" because the butt of the cue will be carbon fiber and not wood like the butt I use on the Meucci.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Anybody else play with a Becue?

Yep, for 2 1/2 years now. I have the original one with the white shaft and also just added the new black shaft a few months ago. I still prefer the original white shaft.

After the break in period and adjusting for a few weeks back then, I absolutely love it. No more wood for me. By the way, I tested a Revo and didn't care for the feel and sound of the hit. To me the Becue is more solid.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, for 2 1/2 years now. I have the original one with the white shaft and also just added the new black shaft a few months ago. I still prefer the original white shaft.

After the break in period and adjusting for a few weeks back then, I absolutely love it. No more wood for me. By the way, I tested a Revo and didn't care for the feel and sound of the hit. To me the Becue is more solid.

Are you using the white Prime shaft or the white 5.1 conical shaft?

I have two of the white Primes (both 12mm) and one white 5.1 shaft. I prefer the Prime shafts with the pro taper.

I have never tried one of the black Becue shafts on my cue. I have only tried a 12.tmm version on a friend's cue and he had it matched up with a wooden butt. I preferred the hit of my cue, but that was maybe because the butt of mine was also carbon fiber.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Are you using the white Prime shaft or the white 5.1 conical shaft?

I have two of the white Primes (both 12mm) and one white 5.1 shaft. I prefer the Prime shafts with the pro taper.

I have never tried one of the black Becue shafts on my cue. I have only tried a 12.tmm version on a friend's cue and he had it matched up with a wooden butt. I preferred the hit of my cue, but that was maybe because the butt of mine was also carbon fiber.

The white one is the 5.1 with the conical taper which I prefer (I also have the original carbon fiber butt). The taper is considerably different than my other shaft, the Prime M black, which has a long thin pro taper. I don't care for the black color. It's easier for me to align the white shaft to aim my shot.

2andOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
prime M review

I've had my Prime M 12.5 mm with Kamui tan SS now for 2 weeks.

For the last 3 years I've used Samsara True Shaft with same tip and diameter, and i would've told anyone that I would never switch.

Over the last year i got the bug to try various CF shafts. I've hit others cues with the Revo 12.9, Cuetec Cenergy and Jacoby Black. After hitting those i really didn't care to change shafts. Then a few months ago I hit the BeCue at Charlie Bryants booth at the midwest cue expo and immediately wanted to switch. I finally pulled the trigger a few weeks ago.

To me, the hit is "softer" than all the other CF shafts I've tried with the deflection being almost identical to the Revo and identical to my True Shaft. with the Jacoby next in line and the Cuetec having the most deflection. Some people I've let hit with it, described it as a "mushy" hit, compared to others, but I like it nonetheless.

the main difference I see in my game is that I can hit the cueball much softer and get the same amount of roll out of the stroke. i play OnePocket almost exclusively and that helps me to control the cueball much better on the tricky short safeties.

And lastly compared to my True Shafts, I seem to get much more spin on the ball with the same tip offset. I know others say this isn't possible with physics, but that's what it feels like to me anyway.

HouTexPlayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been playing with a Becue shaft for about 4 months now - sold my Revo and switched.

Good overall feel to it, nice taper and allows me to apply English and move around the table with what feels like much less effort - very happy with it.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The white one is the 5.1 with the conical taper which I prefer (I also have the original carbon fiber butt). The taper is considerably different than my other shaft, the Prime M black, which has a long thin pro taper. I don't care for the black color. It's easier for me to align the white shaft to aim my shot.

If you ever want to swap the black one for another 5.1, let me know. I'd like to try a black one on my Becue butt. I never use the 5.1.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played for about eight hours today, switching between my Becue carbon butt with a 12mm Prime pro taper carbon fiber shaft on it and my Pancerny custom full-splice Titlist conversion butt with a Meucci Pro 12.1mm carbon fiber shaft on it.

Both cues weighed within an ounce of each other and both had a very close balance point. The Becue shaft has an Ultra-skin soft black tip on it and I think the Meucci shaft has an Ultra-skin soft ivory tip on it.

Both cues played very similar and produced similar results using the same stroke on various shots I set up and tried with both cues. The Becue shaft has a pro taper but it isn't as long as the taper on the Meucci. Also, my Becue shaft is coated with white airplane paint, so it has more "drag" than the Meucci, which is "slicker". The new Becue Prime M shafts do not have the paint on them. They are black and very similar to all the other black carbon fiber shafts. FWIW, I find the white shaft easier to sight down than the black shafts. However, the Meucci shaft has a longer white ferrule than most black carbon fiber shafts and it is easy to get used to.

If you like a really long taper and you use a really long bridge, then the Meucci may be more your style. I have gotten used to the Meucci after playing with it for a about a month while my Becue shaft was in Italy at the factory, so it took me a bit to switch back to the shorter taper. I use a tight closed bridge on almost all shots, so taper is something that I notice right away.

I think the Becue shaft has a bit more flex that will allow you to "masse"/"swerve" the shot a bit more, if you need to, in order to get around the edge of a ball that may be blocking your shot a bit. Also, I think the Becue will allow you to do more "finesse-type" shots than the Meucci will. Both shafts play super, so it is hard to say one shaft is better than the other. I can play about equally well with either of them, once I hit a few balls and get them dialed in.

One thing that is truly "noticeable" is that the Becue carbon butt paired with the carbon shaft has a much "purer" feel and hit than any carbon fiber shaft that I've felt that was paired with a non-carbon butt and that includes my Meucci with my wood butts.

Every carbon fiber shaft that I've tried (Mezz, Cuetec, REVO, Meucci) on wooden butts have a bit of vibration when you miscue or sometimes hit the extreme edge of the cue ball. They also sometimes make some sort of "glassy" sound when you mishit or hit the very edge of the cue ball. The Becue carbon shafts on the carbon butt never do that. There is no vibration or sound, no matter what you do. It seems like there is a total transfer of "power" from the cue to the cue ball on every shot. I don't know how to describe it. If you play tennis, I'd say it seems like the "sweet spot" is the entire playing surface of the racket. The cue feels the same way. I have no reason to think that the carbon butt matched to the carbon shaft isn't the key that makes the difference.

I'm satisfied with both shafts, so y'all quit tempting me to buy anything else.

Aloha.

:)