New England Pool and Billiard Hall Of Fame

tom mcgonagle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is the list of inductees for this year.

Dawn Hopkins

Randy LaBonte Mass.

Fred Dechaine Maine

Bruce Defranrzo Ct

Bob Giglio Mass.

Joe, "Boston Joey" Kiley. Mass.

Dick Letourneau Jr. Mass..

Joe DeAmato Mass.

Tom Laverriere N.H.

Mario Barriere Mass.

Roger Boucher Mass.

Roger and Dawn were already in but their displays were never brought to the new location, Snooker's in Providence Rhode Island.

The formal ceremony will be held at Snooker's. It will be on Friday evening February 28th. Starting at 6pm. Please come out and join us in welcoming this new class.

rackemup20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is the list of inductees for this year.

Dawn Hopkins

Randy LaBonte Mass.

Fred Dechaine Maine

Bruce Defranrzo Ct

Bob Giglio Mass.

Joe, "Boston Joey" Kiley. Mass.

Dick Letourneau Jr. Mass..

Joe DeAmato Mass.

Tom Laverriere N.H.

Mario Barriere Mass.

Roger Boucher Mass.

Roger and Dawn were already in but their displays were never brought to the new location, Snooker's in Providence Rhode Island.

The formal ceremony will be held at Snooker's. It will be on Friday evening February 28th. Starting at 6pm. Please come out and join us in welcoming this new class.
Congrats to all the 2014 inductees but I think an just my opinion there are to many people inducted every year. Eventually a person that wins a weekly tournament will be inducted into the hall cuz no one will b left lol

tom mcgonagle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rackemup20

New England has many deserving people that belong in The Hall Of Fame.

We look at a lot of things when we make our selections. Not everyone in the Hall has to have won major New England championships.

Some of the inductees never won tournaments but they contributed to the game in other ways, room owners, league operators, and cue makers, just to give examples,and as long as we can put deserving people like that into The Hall of Fame, it will continue to go on.

I was actually turned down by a few people I asked this year. I regret that they take the offer but I guess they felt they didn't deserve the honor.

JTs cuerepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's funny

rackemup20

New England has many deserving people that belong in The Hall Of Fame.

We look at a lot of things when we make our selections. Not everyone in the Hall has to have won major New England championships.

Some of the inductees never won tournaments but they contributed to the game in other ways, room owners, league operators, and cue makers, just to give examples,and as long as we can put deserving people like that into The Hall of Fame, it will continue to go on.

I was actually turned down by a few people I asked this year. I regret that they take the offer but I guess they felt they didn't deserve the honor.

This is hard to believe when you leave Marty Herman out just because you don't get along with him. He has done more for pool in the last few years then anyone. Yet there are people in there like Dave Cunha (RIP) What has Cunha done for pool other then screw everyone he could along the way. Being in the hall of fame really has no meaning at all when you read the list of people that are in there. Most of them are all your friends Tom.

Nccm

Registered
I grew up in somerville and played with a lot of people that are in this hall of fame. It's great recognition but if everyone gets in it looses its luster. It seems you have something against Tom but I will agree there are some people on his list there are questionable

tom mcgonagle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr. Herman was inducted and unfortunately removed.

A lot of these people were or are my friends.

Some of them weren't.

I don't discriminate when it comes to making my decisions.

Mr. Cuhna and several other people were put into the Hall while I was away from the game and The Hall of Fame.

We're not perfect.

It's a beautiful site and it needs all the people it can hold.

rackemup20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is hard to believe when you leave Marty Herman out just because you don't get along with him. He has done more for pool in the last few years then anyone. Yet there are people in there like Dave Cunha (RIP) What has Cunha done for pool other then screw everyone he could along the way. Being in the hall of fame really has no meaning at all when you read the list of people that are in there. Most of them are all your friends

Now that's a good one

fat Albert

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I must say I stopped in a few times when I was in Boston and found it very impressive . As with any Hall of Fame there is always critics and questions of why him or her and not someone else . Thanks for a nice first class recognition of those who were chosen. Sometime if you get the time a virtual tour of the pictures and write ups on your web site would be nice for those who are far away or older who otherwise will not get to go down memory lane by being there in person

JTs cuerepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I grew up in somerville and played with a lot of people that are in this hall of fame. It's great recognition but if everyone gets in it looses its luster. It seems you have something against Tom but I will agree there are some people on his list there are questionable

NCCM, Your wrong I have nothing against Tom, Tom and I have known each other and been friends for many years. I have a nice signed copy of his book with a beautiful message inside thanking me for all the years I have kept his cue in great shape. I have nothing but respect for Tom. I just think Marty has done a lot to promote the game more so then most of the people in the Hall. It just to bad most people shut him out because of his personality. As far as Cunha goes, we all know he bought his way in.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
congrats to the new class
i play in fl and bob busa plays in my home town pool rom
nice guy.... great player
could you tell me alittle about him??

EJmagnum186

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuhna's well documented flaws aside, he undoubtedly deserves to be there. It is nice to see Dick L get in he is a hell of a straight pool player.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard a few times that the entry criteria is a bit "lax" for the N.E. HOF.

The walls are pretty filled as it is LOL.

I think 3-4 a year would be plenty, it's not like the list is being pulled from the whole world of players.

Great work on keeping things going though Tom!

JTs cuerepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuhna's well documented flaws aside, he undoubtedly deserves to be there. It is nice to see Dick L get in he is a hell of a straight pool player.

HE UNDOUBTEDLY DESERVES TO BE IN THERE , Thanks for the laugh I almost pissed my pants reading that comment. He was never interested in promoting pool in any way at all. Tom, myself and anyone that was a close insider to Country club knew that Chnha always had only one thing on his mind and that was filling his pockets with money how ever he could and if he saw pool as a way to do that believe me he did it to fill his own pockets and not for the good of the game at all. Your crazy to think he really cared about promoting the game. He only cared about promoting him self. I worked there for 20 years and saw and witnessed all the bull shit. Don't get me wrong Cunha was very good to me because he knew he could trust me, I had keys to the place and could go there any time I wanted. I had the run of the place for 20 years. At times I had $60,000 to $70,000 of Money that people would come in and give to me to give to cunha. we where very close and he treated me like a son. If I needed anything or wanted anything all I had to do was ask. I knew him better then most people. Again I'm not saying he was a bad person at all just don't think he should be in the Hall.

EJmagnum186

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JT you are 100% correct....and while it was own self interest that he was serving the fact still remains that he did host some of the biggest and best tournaments in NE for a long time and it did draw and promote pool interest in NE and I am SURE he was laughing all the way to the bank. Thank God any HOF does not have a character & integrity clause to be a member because those halls would be pretty bare, lol.

Hal2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congratulations to these inductees. If my vote counted it would be for Boston Joey.

timc

Registered
New England pool and billiards hall of fame

Wondering why Peter Genoese is not already in the hall of fame

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can someone give me a contact for the New England Pool and Billiard Hall of Fame?

Tom McGonagle would be the man to speak to. He’s on Facebook. I have his cell, but I wouldn’t give that out without talking to him first. My inbox is probably full on here, so feel free to message me on Facebook. I’m Kerry McAuliffe.

You could alternatively speak to Ray MacNamara, the pool manager at Snookers in Providence, RI. He could surely get you some info.

Hope it helps,

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums