CUE BALL CONTROL ... Everything You Need to Know

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just posted a new video on YouTube that demonstrates all important cue ball control principles, effects, and skills, all in one place. Here it is:

Topics covered include stop/stun/follow/draw, 90˚ rule, 30˚ rule, 3-times-the-angle system, tangent line, natural angle, good action draw, pocket cheating, cut-induced throw, sidespin effects, speed effects, drag and spin conversion, and CB control drills.

This video is a little on the longer side (14 minutes), but the material in presented very concisely (but still completely). Multiple viewings (and/or pause/rewind cycles) might be required for everything to sink in.

This one took a lot of time and effect to create, but I am very happy with the end result. I predict this will become my most-watched YouTube video of all time ... assuming people know what is best for them.

I suspect even top players can learn a thing or two from this video, but it is still mostly geared toward beginner and intermediate players.

Please let me know what you think, and let me know if anything is unclear or if you have any questions.

Enjoy,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just posted a new video on YouTube that demonstrates all important cue ball control principles, effects, and skills, all in one place. Here it is:

Topics covered include stop/stun/follow/draw, 90˚ rule, 30˚ rule, 3-times-the-angle system, tangent line, natural angle, good action draw, pocket cheating, cut-induced throw, sidespin effects, speed effects, drag and spin conversion, and CB control drills.

This video is a little on the longer side (14 minutes), but the material in presented very concisely (but still completely). Multiple viewings (and/or pause/rewind cycles) might be required for everything to sink in.

This one took a lot of time and effect to create, but I am very happy with the end result. I predict this will become my most-watched YouTube video of all time ... assuming people know what is best for them.

I suspect even top players can learn a thing or two from this video, but it is still mostly geared toward beginner and intermediate players.

Please let me know what you think, and let me know if anything is unclear or if you have any questions.

Enjoy,
Dave
UPDATE:
The video already has two "thumbs down" on YouTube! :eek:

What could possibly motivate somebody to click on the "thumbs down" icon after watching such an informative (and free) video? :confused:

This baffles me, but I actually find it comical and it makes me wonder what these people look like and what sort of lives they lead. :rolleyes: :shrug:

What do you guys think? I am just being dense, and maybe there are actual reasons to dislike this video? :confused:

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Be sure to check out the drag and spin conversion section. The slow-motion clips really help visualize these important principles.

Enjoy,
Dave

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yound people love giving videos a thumbs down even without watching it. Don't take offense, great video!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
To "calibrate" cut draw by visualizing the target CB path as a fraction of the way between stun and good-action draw and hitting the CB that same fraction between those two hits.
Interesting. I thought you were going to say:

"how a slow-rolling CB deflects at a greater angle than a faster (but not too fast) shot"

or

"why/how inside narrows follow angle"

I use the "tweener" percentages often. FYI, I have more on this topic here:

tweener shot resource page

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ģüśţāṿ;6473226 said:
Young people love giving videos a thumbs down even without watching it. Don't take offense, great video!
It doesn't really bother me ... it is more of a curiosity thing. I would just like to know what they are thinking (if they are thinking at all) at the moment they bother to watch some of the video and click on the down-thumb icon.

Regards,
Dave

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
It doesn't really bother me ... it is more of a curiosity thing. I would just like to know what they are thinking (if they are thinking at all) at the moment they bother to watch some of the video and click on the down-thumb icon.

Regards,
Dave

That’s it there. Some people just surf around and thumbs down things with no reasoning. You always see it on even the greatest pool matches or videos of someone doing something amazing. People are strange, just ax Jim Morrison

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

[...]
Great job Dave!
Thanks Mike! Instructional pool videos sure have gotten a lot better than the early YouTube years, haven’t they? Although, your old stuff is still very good, even by today’s standards. You are one of the people that indirectly encouraged me to raise my game (video production and playing) by the example you set.

Best regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
That’s it there. Some people just surf around and thumbs down things with no reasoning. You always see it on even the greatest pool matches or videos of someone doing something amazing. People are strange, just ax Jim Morrison
You're probably right. I guess the best way to react is to feel sorry for them since they must not have much positive in their lives.

Regards,
Dave

JC

Coos Cues
I still like visualizing what those "2" look like and what they must be like to be around. ;)

Regards,
Dave

I tracked them down Dave, all 3 of them!

source.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited: