Improve your game quickly

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fellas
all I was suggesting was the way I play

I don't play very good,I get very nerveous when I bet high and i discovered that paying attention to these basics

Line up away from the table
get the angle settled and thinking through move my feet to get in position
bend over and hit the ball watching the object ball cue ball contact

this frees my mind from fear because what idiot can't see the cue ball hit the object ball so I relax

all i can do is all i can do so why worry about what i can not do

I asume these are the basics for everyone even though we all tend to think grandiose thoughts or forget to apply these

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
always welcome!

stellar post Hu, couldnt agree more. You really said it well.

I'd still put a 20.00 on Dean, if it ever happens, which I doubt it will, we can do a little bet in the action room., if you don't mind small fish

I am always willing to bet with good people if we find ourselves willing to bet opposite ways. Which is my way of saying the window is always open for you regardless of if it is a small amount. I keep things pretty small myself.

Hu

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shooting Art
you are showing good common sense

The only danger I have ever seen is when players stating your philosophy vary from it

If you know yourself and apply this rule you canhave alot of fun

I am not enncouraging anyone to gamble,just stating some not so obvious ideas why a hack like me won every so often

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
If this Forum has reached the point where one can't offer some thoughts regarding playing pool, the Administrator needs to start charging the "real" Instructors and we can all be students and pay a fee to learn.

I often wonder how many of the "instructors" have gambled at all, especially have they been involved in high dollar games?

Dean offered some decent thoughts and points regarding approaching the shot with focus.

I don't recall he said "'My way is the only way to play". I believe his past history is proof of his willingness to gamble and gamble big.

Write a book, Dean, and title it "How to win big, playing my way"! We might all want a copy.

Offer all the advice you like. People will judge it on it's merit, if not, well then they can go to whatever instructor is "hot" that week and pay 500 a day or more. Can't remember exactly what the guy was charging, but it was pretty outrageous. Was it 2000 for a weekend? Meh, if you have that kind of cash, then go for it.

Dean always talks his game down, hard to know his real ability. But it's always good to hear about the games of people who keep in action, wether it be tournaments or gambling. You learn somethings that way that cannot easily be learned otherwise. I think it's the reason I always enjoyed Grady Mathews videos and commentary so much. From the way he calculated percentages, and called shots, you just knew he'd been through every kind of situation and learned from them.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please remember Scott did something right to get instructor of the year

lets not go so hard on him

all he did was pop off one time

and that wasn't so bad,I regret responding sharply
all i hear about him is good so just this once lets play nice

i hear those guys that spend for lessons report big results
Randy is a legend in Dallas and Scott must be good to associate with Randy
who contributes great ideas on here all the time.He is one of our own

In gold,house pros are seldom champions,but champions go to them for help.
remember Jack Grout

Lets knock Dean for a while for giving advice when he can't play

The guy just popped off,and so didI I
lets not knock his business
very bush league

Last edited:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Lol that video is still popping up. I’ve never seen Scott play but I do have personal experience with playing way under my “normal” level. Maybe they caught him on camera messing around, playing the worst he has since ‘92, who can say

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like it all Dean. Great advice. And you're right that it all happens in a very short timeframe, quicker than what it takes to read these words. These aren't instructions you think about while shooting. You don't clutter your head with any of it. You simply look at what needs to happen and then you do it.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BC@!
you said it much better than I did. you caught all I know about pool in a tiny space

Following this ,I have often shot better pool than I thought I was capable of playing.

This is not to say I played top speed,just my top speed

I heard some sweaters say that I was the most consistent player in thepool room.

I must admit I was surprised to hear their comments

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The best advice I ever got was from my boss when I worked at a pro shop was...
..”Do your practising on a practise field...when you’re out on the course, just try and
score the best way you know how with whatever you got that day.....
...got a problem?...take it back to the practise field.”

This works for billiard games also

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Keep It Simple without Stupid-ity. Anything that you add to the required shot function is only adding the possibility of error to the shot functions. You can observe the shot from any elevation, but the shot must be visually attained and finalized at the actual shot height from which you intend to complete the shot.

Nope. My contact point is determined BEFORE I drop onto the shot, if I'm not aligned when I get down, I stand back up - I'm not doing any alignment to the OB at this point, I'm only verifying what I aligned to from standing up.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Yep- this is the best way to "stay down and don't jump up". There is NOTHING you can TELL yourself to stay down in pool or golf - you have to have a METHOD of shot approach that KEEPS you down because that's the only thing that really works consistently.

Just stay down till the ball goes in the hole, after a little time, staying down will be automatic.

runout68

Registered
Dead on basics

Time is all i have

I spend too much time at home,you are right
the forum is kinda dull so I thought I would have some fun

you guys think these tips are silly,say so

i don't know much about the game so
don't expect any more

What you just quoted are the basics of good pool shooting. If everyone could do this there game would greatly improve. But most of the time it is OVER thinking and too much is allowed in your thoughts at the time of shooing.
Ron Atchley

runout68

Registered
What you just said is the basics of good shooting. IF everyone could at least do this there game would improve. Once down on the ball you forget the pocket and shoot to hit the contact point with the speed and English you think you need. DON'T let any other thoughts inter your mind. Considerate on your shot ONLY. Stay down (most of the time when you stay down after the shot you will be able to see the object rolling and whether or not you have made the shot even before it gets to the pocket.

1-Decide your shot away from the table. About a cue length from the table or cue ball. You can see the line better and the over all layout.
2- Step into the line with you back foot on that line.
3-Go down on the shot with your back foot, eyes, bridge hand and cue on line of the shot.
4-Focus on the shot only. Any other thoughts STOP and start over.
5-2-3 slow practice strokes with the last practice stroke close to the contact point on the cue ball.
6-Last stroke pull back slowly, pause, and then shoot straight with a good FOLLOW THROUGH.

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lol that video is still popping up. I’ve never seen Scott play but I do have personal experience with playing way under my “normal” level. Maybe they caught him on camera messing around, playing the worst he has since ‘92, who can say

I agree. You can be a great player, but when in a room where everyone expects you to be a great player, it can easily get in your head and interfere with performance.

I met a fellow AZer and his son in Nashville a couple of months ago and actually played a ball or two below my normal level. Before they arrived (and after they left) I was playing fine, normal speed. The only difference was that in my head I wasn't trying to live up to some predetermined expectation these two fine people had of me.

I wouldn't expect this sabotaging mindset to affect a seasoned instructor or pro level player, those with experience being in the spotlight. But I'm sure it can creep into anyone's mind at any time, causing you to play less than expected.

Last edited: