Using the OB as an aiming reference to train the brain

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
In this photo I have shown three different reference points for aiming with three different methods. By giving your brain more solid reference points, when it comes to aiming, you can develop consistency much quicker.

In the pic the yellow circle represents where the ghostball should be in order to pocket the 6 ball. Of course there is no little yellow circle that you can see when playing. You must estimate it based on your experience with imagining ghostballs.

The blue circle on the 6 ball shows the approximate point of contact between the balls, which can be seen because it exists on a physical object -- the ball. This spot can can be seen by standing and looking straight though the 6 to the pocket, but it's really difficult to keep the exact spot in focus once you are back behind the cb, unless the contact point happens to be easily identified by the number or markings on the ball.

The white vertical lines on the 6 ball represent the ob quarters, which are simple to imagine/visualize because we are looking at the ball -- it's a physical object that we can see. Anyone with the slightest spacial skills can look at an object and visualize a line to the center of that object or to the outermost left or right visible point on the object. Granted, the outermost points are obvious, whereas the center and a quarter left or right of center require more spacial skills to pinpoint accurately. But still, you're working with a solid object, not something you can't see. Also, with ghostball and contact points, the aiming references vary with every shot. But ob references never vary -- the ball can always be divided into equal quarters, and then into eighths, sixteenths, etc... using the ball itself as an aiming reference on every shot.

This particular shot is a 3/8 aim, fractionally speaking. But you don't have to label it a "3/8". Just pay attention, regardless of which aiming method you use, to where you are aiming in reference to the ob itself. This gives your brain more visual information, which helps it build a more thorough database of recognized shots.

For those using ghostball or contact points, and seem to be struggling for consistency, start using the ob as a background reference in conjunction with the ghostball. Pay attention to where your shot line is pointed in reference to the ob itself. For contact point aimers it might be useful to know that the contact point is always halfway between the fractional aim line and the ccb to center ob line.

picture.php

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
You can also use a golf tee as visual aid where the gb's center is .
Better than a donut hole actually.
I am working on a jig that would make it even easier.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Take a ball.

Draw a line on it.

Notice the line curves.

Measure over 1/8 draw another line on the ball.

Do this for halfway round the ball.

Now place the ball such that the first line is facing you.

Notice how the distance between the lines appears to get closer as you look at each of the lines going around the ball.

Because the ball is a sphere and not flat.

Now move the ball farther away from you. Notice how the lines and spaces between them seem smaller due to the change in distance.

You can not use a 2d method in a 3D world.

All aiming is done in your head. There is not a real world reference point to be used. It is visualization of the steps of a method which is all done in your head.

I raced motorcycles where using reference marks was critical to fast lap times. Those markers were real world. A small road patch, the end of a corner curbing, a tree, a out house.......real things. Things you could tell other riders about.

You cant do this in pool. In pool, you got a white ball and balls of different colors and with stripes. Nothing more.

All else comes from inside your head like a overlay. You see the balls, then in your mind overlay whatever method you use on what you are seeing.

But if ya got something to sale.........

Consider that the bottom and top of the CB is in the same vertical axis as the center of the CB. Put a ball on the spot. Freeze another ball it such that it would go in a corner pocket. Remove the ball on the spot. Place the CB such that it is a simple cut shot. Using the top of the CB, aim such that the top is is aligned with the spot on the table. Using a center ball stroke, just stroke to the spot. The CB will roll over the spot and the ball will go in the pocket.

Babe Cranfields Arrow is the best training device out there. And his achievements in pool are far greater than anyone here trying to sell their stuff.

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Take a ball.

Draw a line on it.

Notice the line curves.

Measure over 1/8 draw another line on the ball.

Do this for halfway round the ball.

Now place the ball such that the first line is facing you.

Notice how the distance between the lines appears to get closer as you look at each of the lines going around the ball.

Because the ball is a sphere and not flat.

Now move the ball farther away from you. Notice how the lines and spaces between them seem smaller due to the change in distance.

You can not use a 2d method in a 3D world.

All aiming is done in your head. There is not a real world reference point to be used. It is visualization of the steps of a method which is all done in your head.

I raced motorcycles where using reference marks was critical to fast lap times. Those markers were real world. A small road patch, the end of a corner curbing, a tree, a out house.......real things. Things you could tell other riders about.

You cant do this in pool. In pool, you got a white ball and balls of different colors and with stripes. Nothing more.

All else comes from inside your head like a overlay. You see the balls, then in your mind overlay whatever method you use on what you are seeing.

But if ya got something to sale.........

It's right there in the picture, a genuine photo of a real pool ball being divided into vertical quarter slices. You asked for a picture of a solid reference -- there it is. It's the ball.

We've had this debate before, where you refuse to accept the reality that we do not see in 3D. It's pointless to try to explain something to someone who just doesn't get that. But I'll try one more time....

We look at a sphere and can only see one side of it, one perspective. It is round. It could just as well be a flat disk resting on its edge, upright on the table, a simple circle, actually a cylinder, but the depth is not seen, not significant, not part of what we can see. Just like looking at sphere, nothing else matters besides that view of a basic circle. We can tell it has another dimension simply because of the lighting, but the portion we can see, as far as spatially, is a simple circle.

When it comes to aiming at the ob, the cb and ob make contact along the horizontal circumference of each ball, unless the cb is off the slate when strikes the ob. My point is this. As we look at a ball, from any perspective, we see a circular object with a defined horizontal diameter/width, which is also the horizontal circumference. It is along this line that the vertical quarter slices can easily and accurately be visualized. Fractional aiming or cb-ob relationships/overlaps are calculated, visualized, and shot based on the diameter/width of a simple circle, not the circumference of a complicated sphere.

Aiming the center of the cb exactly 1.125" from the center of the ob creates a halfball shot, because 1.125 is half of 2.25, the diameter/width of the ball/circle as we see it. We don't see the width of the ball as 3.5", which is half of the circumference of the ball/sphere. The circumference is irrelevant when it comes to fractional aiming or cb-ob relationship/overlap aiming. The fact that the circumference is where the balls actually make contact has zero to do with fractional aiming. That's why it doesn't matter if it's spherical or not. The same fractional aiming technique, as well as ghostball or contact points, can be used to aim two hockey pucks or two flat discs.

If you don't understand this, I'm sorry. It has nothing to do with me having "something to sale", which should be "sell", but has everything to do with aiming pool balls according to what we see.

Have a Merry Christmas.

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is a drawing to illustrate what I'm talking about.

Whether you are a ghostball user or contact point user, look beyond the ghost ball and contact points and notice where you are aiming in reference to the width of the ob (blue line). The width of the ball never changes. It's always there, always 2.25", regardless of your perspective when looking at it. Sure, it looks smaller from a distance, but that doesn't matter. We are comcerned with proportions only. In this manner you can always use the width/diameter of the ob as an aiming gage to help your brain develop better shot recognition.

picture.php

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Here is a drawing to illustrate what I'm talking about.
Nice drawing - lots of info. I stole it. Thanks.

It reminds me of a common tweak for fractional aiming: to avoid aiming "off the ball" for cuts greater than half ball, aim the inside edge of the CB at the OB fractions (CB edge to OB 1/2 = 1/4 ball hit, CB edge to OB 1/4 = 1/8 ball hit, etc.).

pj
chgo

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Would that help ?

Sure would, especially if you look through that ghostball spot and begin to recognize where you are aiming in reference to the ob itself, noticing how much of the cb will be overlapping the ob. It's an additional reference that is much more beneficial than just looking at a spot on the table where the ghostball needs to be. Imo.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Sure would, especially if you look through that ghostball spot and begin to recognize where you are aiming in reference to the ob itself, noticing how much of the cb will be overlapping the ob. It's an additional reference that is much more beneficial than just looking at a spot on the table where the ghostball needs to be. Imo.
IMO too.

My technique is similar, but instead of aiming an estimated distance from an OB fraction I aim an estimated distance from the OB contact point.
"Measuring" at the same height as the contact point (and the ghost ball center) is more natural and precise for me, and aids 3D visualization.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
IMO too.

My technique is similar, but instead of aiming an estimated distance from an OB fraction I aim an estimated distance from the OB contact point.
"Measuring" at the same height as the contact point (and the ghost ball center) is more natural and precise for me, and aids 3D visualization.

pj
chgo

Sounds workable. I told a kid one time that the ob contact is halfway between between a full ball aim and the aim needed to pocket the ball. He looked at me, looked at the shot in front of him, looked at again, then said, "I just aim a little bit away from the contact point". Lol. I was trying to help him visualize exactly where to aim based without having to guess. He would still have to estimate the distance, but it wouldn't be entirely guesswork.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sounds workable. I told a kid one time that the ob contact is halfway between between a full ball aim and the aim needed to pocket the ball. He looked at me, looked at the shot in front of him, looked at again, then said, "I just aim a little bit away from the contact point". Lol. I was trying to help him visualize exactly where to aim based without having to guess. He would still have to estimate the distance, but it wouldn't be entirely guesswork.

said another way (i think )
the aim point is twice the distance of a full ball aim and the contact point
double the distance system

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member

Yes. I was never good at keeping the contact point in focus. Some shots yes, most shots no.

Schwim

Registered

I like this thread, and I think this point here is very useful as I used to try to aim to contact point and visualize the round edge of the CB hitting it. What I've been doing recently since getting back into the game, and I got this mostly from Dr. Dave and his colleague (Mr. Jewett, I think), is to use ghost ball analysis and translate it into a fractional aim point. I consider myself a beginner but see the value of doing this, and I've been improving in my shot making. I've also read Poolology and see value there... just need to put more time into that.

Here's how I do it: Stand with my eyes on the line directly behind the OB pointing to the desired pocket/target) and place my cue tip on the table pointing at the target at a point 1 1/8 inches behind COB. Then, with tip still on the table and cue suspended from under the butt end with one finger, walk the cue shaft to a point directly over the CCB. Now, the center of the cue tip is pointing directly at the OB under the aim point. I identify the fraction (1/2, 3/4, 7/8, 3/8, etc., or visualize somewhere in between), which is easy, then step away from the table and do the pre-shot routine with this knowledge in mind. When I step into the shot I know where the CCB needs to hit the OB.

I've noticed that when OB is near the rail, I need to subtract about a 1/4 fraction to avoid cut induced throw from sending the OB into the rail. Also is this okay etiquette to do in a match (I play at home for fun only).

Does anyone see anything wrong with my approach or can anyone add any pointers to what I'm doing?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Rail frozen shots should be aimed like any other shot. They all need a little overcut for throw. Try to ignore the rail.

pj
chgo