Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page 11.65 is that to skinny for a shaft. Warp ?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
11.65 is that to skinny for a shaft. Warp ?
Old
  (#1)
PoolFan101
AzB Bronze Member
PoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11.65 is that to skinny for a shaft. Warp ? - 01-12-2020, 10:35 AM

Hello ,

I like a skinny shaft , always have. My Son had a Meucci with a 11.65 shaft that played like a dream. I got the chance to speak to Dan Janes of the Famous Joss cues and he told me that he will never go any smaller than a 12 on a shaft because if you do they will eventually warp , Do you think that would be the case. I have seen shafts for sale that were 11.65 and were lifetime warranty against warping and Meucci offers this size also . I have a shaft I want cut down from 13 to 11.65 , what do you guy's think ,

Old
  (#2)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-12-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolFan101 View Post
Hello ,

I like a skinny shaft , always have. My Son had a Meucci with a 11.65 shaft that played like a dream. I got the chance to speak to Dan Janes of the Famous Joss cues and he told me that he will never go any smaller than a 12 on a shaft because if you do they will eventually warp , Do you think that would be the case. I have seen shafts for sale that were 11.65 and were lifetime warranty against warping and Meucci offers this size also . I have a shaft I want cut down from 13 to 11.65 , what do you guy's think ,
I've played with two 9.5-10mm shafts for 20 years or so - no problems.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#3)
Sunchaser
Belgian Malinois
Sunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond repute

01-12-2020, 10:47 AM

I personally think its too small. I do know you shouldnt turn dowm a 13 mm to that size all at one time. Also will make the ferrule wall pretty thin. Just my opinion though.
.i like 13+ in general.

Old
  (#4)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

01-12-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunchaser View Post
I personally think its too small.
I can think of a few thousand snooker players who might disagree.

pj <- pool player
chgo

Old
  (#5)
MitchAlsup
AzB Silver Member
MitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond repute

01-12-2020, 11:02 AM

I have 2 (different) 11.5 sharts that I have had for over 10 years (each) and both are perfectly straight.

The smaller the shaft the more deliberate the delivery of the tip to theCB needs to be.

Old
  (#6)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day

01-12-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchAlsup View Post
The smaller the shaft the more deliberate the delivery of the tip to theCB needs to be.
I don't think that's true (depending on what you mean by "deliberate"), but I'm interested to hear your reason.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#7)
MitchAlsup
AzB Silver Member
MitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond repute

01-12-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
I don't think that's true (depending on what you mean by "deliberate"), but I'm interested to hear your reason.
When comparing my 314(1) with my Z2, I find that I must deliver the cue tip to the CB straighter--that is the arm motion must have less side-to-side motion, and smoother back-to-front motion, and the follow through must have more extension--than what I can get away with with the 314(1).

Old
  (#8)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day

01-12-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I don't think that's true (depending on what you mean by "deliberate"), but I'm interested to hear your reason
Quote:
When comparing my 314(1) with my Z2, I find that I must deliver the cue tip to the CB straighter--that is the arm motion must have less side-to-side motion, and smoother back-to-front motion, and the follow through must have more extension--than what I can get away with with the 314(1).
Are you thinking the smaller tip size is less forgiving of stroke errors? Whatever works for you, of course, but that's been suggested before, and hasn't stood to reason. Do you have an explanation in mind?

pj
chgo

Old
  (#9)
Cadillac J
AzB Silver Member
Cadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond repute

01-12-2020, 05:10 PM

Yo PoolFan, I have a 30" Meucci Ultimate Weapon 11.65mm that I'm in love with (and with the extra length it would seem even more likely to warp...keeping my fingers crossed.

Quote:
I can think of a few thousand snooker players who might disagree.
The taper on a Snooker cue shaft completely negates the small tip issue -- the ash shaft is like rock solid and barely flexes...cannot imagine this EVER warping.

Old
  (#10)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day

01-12-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac J View Post
The taper on a Snooker cue shaft completely negates the small tip issue -- the ash shaft is like rock solid and barely flexes...cannot imagine this EVER warping.
My maple shaft is built the same way (10mm tip, conical taper) and hits the same way too, despite maple not being quite as stiff as ash.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#11)
MitchAlsup
AzB Silver Member

01-12-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Are you thinking the smaller tip size is less forgiving of stroke errors? Whatever works for you, of course, but that's been suggested before, and hasn't stood to reason. Do you have an explanation in mind?
I think it has more to do with the more flexibility at the end of the shaft than of the tip size.

Although it is just as possible that the lower end mass allows "subtle stroke errors to mis-position the tip at impact" easier.

Old
  (#12)
one stroke
AzB Silver Member
one stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond repute

01-12-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:

pj
chgo
Based on what ,, how would you know the difference if you haven't played months with another shaft , What pro's play with a shaft that small ?

Old
  (#13)
trentfromtoledo
8onthebreaktoledo

trentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond repute

01-12-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolFan101 View Post
Hello ,

I have 2 Lucasi Hybrid Shafts and had them for years, both 11.75. Great shafts. Both very straight.

TFT

Old
  (#14)
WildWing
AzB Silver Member
WildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond repute

01-12-2020, 08:16 PM

You're all overlooking the taper. A pretty small tip, the OP's example, with a conical taper is not that unusual, resembles some snooker and carom cues. Now a shaft with a long constant thin diameter? Well, you may have a fishing pole. But, I've seen some good ones play with those too.

All the best,
WW

Old
  (#15)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day

01-12-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by one stroke View Post
Based on what
Based on having no problems.

Quote:
how would you know the difference if you haven't played months with another shaft
I played years with Schons, Meuccis, Predators etc. before designing my current tiny-tipped cue and having Ed Young make it.

Quote:
What pro's play with a shaft that small ?
Every pro snooker player. And the trend continues toward smaller tips in pool.

pj
chgo

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: