Nortech Slate Lifter

BrownDawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody use one of these? How do you like it? Seems kind of expensive for what you get. Any other options?
Thanks.

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
The rollers are a great idea but the clamp kinda marks the cloth...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant AzBilliards Forums

billy-ks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have used one for years and would not be without it. I taped to cards together and put it under the clamp on the cloth so it doesn't mark it.

winners07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have used one for years and would not be without it. I taped to cards together and put it under the clamp on the cloth so it doesn't mark it.

If anyone is looking for one of these I have one i am wanting to sell only used it about twice. thanks gary

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I wouldn't waste my time, i just lift the slate up a d ha e someone place my boards under the slate, only takes a few seconds.

billy-ks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What if your all by yourself Glen? Granted if you have someone around it is easy to lift it up and have them insert the boards but usually I would be by myself

BrownDawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea, that's the whole point of it, to do it by yourself. That and maybe to save your back.

How do you wrap the cloth under the slate with the boards in the way? Do you just place the boards on the crossbeams?

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Yea, that's the whole point of it, to do it by yourself. That and maybe to save your back.

How do you wrap the cloth under the slate with the boards in the way? Do you just place the boards on the crossbeams?

I've been doing 6', 6.5', and 7' bar tables by myself for years. 8' bar tables are much more difficult, though I have done it the same way (but I don't recommend it).

Here's the process:
  • Place board along long rail
  • Lift the slate at one end
  • Reposition myself, such that I can hold the slate up with one hand
  • Slide my board under the slate, across the first set of diamonds
  • Repeat the process at the other end of the table

As for the boards:

• Cut (2) 2x4's approximately 60" long (or longer).
  • Cut (2) more approximately 30" long
  • Mark the centerline of each cut board
  • Lay the long boards upright, such that the 1 1/2" faces are facing up and down
  • Affix the short 2x4's to the long 2x4's, lined up at the centerlines, such that the 1 1/2" face of the short board butts against the 3 1/2" face of the long board.
  • You should now have what looks like a 'T' beam.
  • If desired (recommended), you may attach a small section of blocking to the bottom face of the long boards, at each end. This will ensure that you never pull the slate too far to one side.

To use the boards, place the long board down, with the short board facing up. Try to get the boards centered under the slate.

Now, you may slide the entire slate side-to-side, while also being able to access the underside, for gluing purposes and to clean the cabinet. *For smaller tables, make sure that you do not pull the slate too far to one side, as it could be unstable.