Balls bounce

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
GC4 with MBS rubber. Installed 2010. In May I noticed a hop on certain rails, certain spots. The table was fine for years since installation and up until May. Table sat covered in a cold basement. Happens when I shoot slower rather than at speed or faster. Also getting a strange report. The mystery is the hopping is only and consistently in certain areas.
Ok so maybe they have crapped out and need to be replaced. Any comments to why other than crap happens. I will try different balls but that should not matter. Using cyclops but they have been fine for years. Thanks for your help.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
GC4 with MBS rubber. Installed 2010. In May I noticed a hop on certain rails, certain spots. The table was fine for years since installation and up until May. Table sat covered in a cold basement. Happens when I shoot slower rather than at speed or faster. Also getting a strange report. The mystery is the hopping is only and consistently in certain areas.
Ok so maybe they have crapped out and need to be replaced. Any comments to why other than crap happens. I will try different balls but that should not matter. Using cyclops but they have been fine for years. Thanks for your help.

Feel the cushions all along the nose, pinching the nose of the cushions as you go, see if you feel any hardness in spots, or a different feel to the cushions in different areas.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Feel the cushions all along the nose, pinching the nose of the cushions as you go, see if you feel any hardness in spots, or a different feel to the cushions in different areas.

Rubber seems to have equal elasticity(is that a word). No hard spots. The original SuperSpeed cushions turned to stone after 12 years.

mjdoutdoors

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ball bounce?

This can be due to excess wax on the nose of the rail. Try this, clean the nose of your rails with a moist cloth like you would the bed. Let it dry and try again. Even try cleaning a ball (spare ball) with soap an water add a very little wax (slick car wax like carnuba) and see if this changes the jump. I've also had to re tighten rail bolts due to my GC in a changing temperature environment. To save energy I have to lower the room temp to 58 at night and raise it to 68-70 before I play.

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Rubber seems to have equal elasticity(is that a word). No hard spots. The original SuperSpeed cushions turned to stone after 12 years.

My table was doing that this summer when the humidity was high but it never sounded funny, it went away on its own.
I had the Monarch Super Speeds replaced with Artemis on my GCI, the old Monarchs were sent back to me, they feel like brand new yet. I think they have picture of an Astronaut on them. The GCIV era was when the Super Speeds were kinda crappy, correct?

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
My table was doing that this summer when the humidity was high but it never sounded funny, it went away on its own.
I had the Monarch Super Speeds replaced with Artemis on my GCI, the old Monarchs were sent back to me, they feel like brand new yet. I think they have picture of an Astronaut on them. The GCIV era was when the Super Speeds were kinda crappy, correct?

No, the cushions went bad during the GC3 production years.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Bad meaning they did not last too long? Or bad batches.

Bad as in not mixing the rubber and additives together very well, resulting in cushions turning rock hard, sometimes even right out of the box before even setting the tables up.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bad as in not mixing the rubber and additives together very well, resulting in cushions turning rock hard, sometimes even right out of the box before even setting the tables up.

That's bad news for the owner and mechanic. Were the replacements any better.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Only thing Brunswick did was send out replacement cushions at no charge, their obligation ended there.

When I tried to have the lifetime warranty honored they would only replace the bad cushion(s)...not the entire set. It had to looked at by an authorized Brunswick installer...and installed by same. 2 visits by installer at a charge. It made no sense replacing 1 or 2 or 3 rails...so I would have to purchase an entire set and pay to have entire set installed. The warranty was definitely not free. Anyway I'm back to replacing everything again. If I didn't love my GC4 so much I'd trade up for a BlueLabel. Also not sure how many more years I will be at this address and will not take the table when I move.