Who is Kevin Cheng?

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Supposedly, Kevin was only playing Pool for 3.5 months when he won the BCA amateur Open. Then, according to his blog, in his quest to beocme a pro, even though he just started playing Pool 3 months ago (and is now B speed) he was hoping to be a Pro level player and possibly win the US Open by year 5. You know, just like Sam Lambert.

Mission accomplished.

Eric

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Supposedly, Kevin was only playing Pool for 3.5 months when he won the BCA amateur Open. Then, according to his blog, in his quest to beocme a pro, even though he just started playing Pool 3 months ago (and is now B speed) he was hoping to be a Pro level player and possibly win the US Open by year 5. You know, just like Sam Lambert.

Mission accomplished.

Eric

That makes me excited for Sammy. But not in a weird , creepy way.

Oh, the things that might be.:D

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear God,

Why does everything have to come back to something about Sam Lambert? Come on!!!! Even if you were kudding here, I mean...

ga9ball

South West Buyer!
Silver Member
Kevin Cheng

Kevin is a class act! Won the Beijing Open & US Open back to back! Also came in 2nd in a doubles tournament in China. Busted the White Diamonds bar box event!

He plays with an Ebony nose South West, so l am really enjoying his success!
Time to win the Steinway Classic now, but that will be tough!

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
If he stays here for a long time too keep his level of play where it's at in the states, he'll have to overcome what seemingly now is Alex P's situation. The rotation tour is completely different than the Snooker pros. And when you ''stayinthestates'' your true character will be put to the test ''after hours'' and in your down times trying to blend in to our culture, which is soooooooooooo different state to state.

I too found it interesting OK to be his choice, but not really, those southern boys like to bet it up, they are great people, blue collar and family oriented. That's where MANY great players roosted....pool is in their culture. Matlock/Varner/Buddy area, and Skyler now. It's like being in the American Philippines, and close too all the action and continentally in the center of the US.
And gas prices are now realistic....road time. :thumbup:

Kevin came to the U.S last yr and took down the White Diamonds barbox tournament in Louisiana. 128 players, 90K calcutta. Prior to that tournament, he was in Houston and came 2nd to a tournament Sky won 1st in. Gambled with Warren Kiamco even and beat him. Gambled with Josh Roberts, lost the first set. Tripled the bet and won the 2nd set.

Word was he traveled to St.Louis too and Justin wanted to play him, but Kevin declined.

so does that mean bergman is better? at least cheng thinks so......I watched Justin play a lot this past week and think his time in the winner's circle is coming very soon

Mission accomplished.

Eric

that was a very mean post eric.......but funny as hell :yikes:

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
so does that mean bergman is better? at least cheng thinks so......I watched Justin play a lot this past week and think his time in the winner's circle is coming very soon

It means Kevin was smart. I congratulate him on his U.S. Open victory, it was hard earned. Having said that, he doesn't have to like a $ match with Justin at 9 or 10 ball.

hg2357

Registered
...or maybe he just didn't want to prolong his stay in St. Louis.

Your're right. Taiwanese players never fear to do battle with Justin, and they have beated him many many times since 2004 Junior World 9-Ball Champion.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I do agree with Bergman. He impressed me with his caliber of play at the Open this year. Wow!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Mission accomplished.

Eric

I work with Chinese names sometimes in my jobs, and they can be confusing, similar to Vietnamese names. In Indonesia, some folks have only one name, and that's it.

Kevin Cheng's names are: Y.H. Cheng, Yu-Hsuan Cheng, and here in the States, Kevin Cheng. In China, would he be Mr. Yu-Husan? Is "Cheng" his Chinese first name and "Yu-Hsuan" is the surname, or do I have it backwards?

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
The family name always goes first. So, whether in China or Taiwan, and it would be Cheng Yu-Hsuan or Mr. Cheng. Casual or familiar speech (banmal) it could be Yu for short or Yu-Hsuan, or just plain Kevin.

Same would go for other asian countries such as Vietnam, Korea, and Japan.
My experience with Indonesian names is the opposite. I find them quite long and multi-syllabic, similar to Thai names. I have a Dutch/Chinese Indonesian friend and if I ever play her full Indonesian name in Scrabble it would be a winning score. Her last name is Tjipto (tripped-toe). Maybe she the exception, and not the norm.

I work with Chinese names sometimes in my jobs, and they can be confusing, similar to Vietnamese names. In Indonesia, some folks have only one name, and that's it.

Kevin Cheng's names are: Y.H. Cheng, Yu-Hsuan Cheng, and here in the States, Kevin Cheng. In China, would he be Mr. Yu-Husan? Is "Cheng" his Chinese first name and "Yu-Hsuan" is the surname, or do I have it backwards?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The family name always goes first. So, whether in China or Taiwan, and it would be Cheng Yu-Hsuan or Mr. Cheng. Casual or familiar speech (banmal) it could be Yu for short or Yu-Hsuan, or just plain Kevin.

Same would go for other asian countries such as Vietnam, Korea, and Japan.
My experience with Indonesian names is the opposite. I find them quite long and multi-syllabic, similar to Thai names. I have a Dutch/Chinese Indonesian friend and if I ever play her full Indonesian name in Scrabble it would be a winning score. Her last name is Tjipto (tripped-toe). Maybe she the exception, and not the norm.

Thanks for the info. That is very interesting. The names, when used in colloquy, always give me pause.

Here is a Punctuation Tip of the Day on my industry forum that I shared:

Punctuation Tip of the Day for 7/12/2015. Capitalization and alphabetizing surnames.

The "van" or "von" in Dutch or German names, if not capitalized by family usage, appears after the first name; if capitalized, it appears before the last name and determines the alphabetical order:

Beethoven, Ludwig van (Ludwig van Beethoven)
Von Braun, Werner (Werner Von Braun)

With French names, the "de" goes before the last name when the last name contains only one syllable:

de Gaulle, Charles (Charles de Gaulle)
Maupassant, Guy de (Guy de Maupassant)

Use full surnames for Spanish names: Garcia Lorca, Federico (Federico Garcia Lorca). Also, for Spanish names, the "de" comes after the first name: Rueda, Lope de (Lope de Rueda).

Names with "Mac" or "Mc" are alphabetized letter by letter as they appear.
Names with "O" and apostrophe are alphabetized as if the apostrophe were missing.

Macalister, Donald
MacAlister, Paul
McAuley, Catherine
McCready, Keith
Onassis, Aristotle
O’Neill, Eugene

Surnames that begin with "al" are alphabetized by the name that follows. Most, not all, references state they should be hyphenated. The "a" in "al" should only be capitalized if beginning a sentence.

al-Anbari, Abu (Abu al-Anbari)
al-Baghdadi, Abu (Abu al-Baghdadi)

Chinese names are written with the family name first, followed by
the prename, often hyphenated; therefore, no inversion should be made in alphabetizing.

Xi Jinping (President of China, President Xi, "Xi" is last name)
Similar to Chinese names, Korean names are written with the family
name first, followed by first and second names, sometimes hyphenated; therefore, do not invert when alphabetizing.
Kim Jong-un (Supreme Leader of North Korea, "Kim" is last name)

Normally, Vietnamese names consist of three names: family, first,
and second. Unlike the Chinese and Korean names, Vietnamese do not use their family names. Two systems are used.
1. Call them by their first and second name, e.g., Nguyen Minh Chao is
called "Minh Chao."
2. Call them by their second name, e.g., Ngo The Dan is called "Dan."

Persons in some countries possess only one name. In most cases, they
are given names, not family names. This is common in Indonesia. Use these names as if they were family names.

Subandi (Indonesian)

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Kevin, is his own chosen "American" name. I've always been curious if he named himself after the Hong Kong Actor "Kevin Cheng"?

Maybe at White Diamonds I will have a chance to ask him how he came to choose that name.

He lives in Taiwan and comes to the U.S. periodically to play pool.

I'm not sure what you mean about him not winning much in Taiwan. RECENTLY, Cheng Yu Hsuan bested China's best players and won $30,000.

He is playing in the best weekend bar table tournament in America at White Diamonds November 14-15th. If you anyone wants to see him play they can get the Live Stream from Ray Hansen at www.poolactiontv.com
There is a mini tournament on Friday night but I am not sure if it will be live streamed or not.

He has some great American friends who live in Houston, Texas and hangs out there and visits several U.S. cities. When he wins, he is a class act. When he loses, he is a class act. It's kind of funny when he asks me for one pocket lessons. :lol: But I sure get the best of the deal when he gives me 9 ball lessons in trade. :smile:

JoeyA

The fact that he has an American first name for himself and that he actually spent time in Oklahoma says something-not sure what but no one from Taiwan comes to the USA to go to Oklahoma.

So what is his story? Is he recently relocated-goes back and forth?-has relatives in that part of the Country? What?

How come he doesnt win much over here in his 'home area' and knocks off the US Open like it was a Jr tournament?