Playing without chalk

Valiant Thor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play league twice e week with a woman who is a napa 78 . She never uses chalk.dont know what kind of tip she uses but it has never been chalked . She said she never uses more than a half tip of right or left English or one and half of high or low. She shoots slow and easy and plays position pretty good. I would like to hear your thoughts on no chalk cueing.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It just seems to me that any leather tip is going to glaze over after a while, no matter what. Did the lady state whether she scuffs the tip, at least?

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play league twice e week with a woman who is a napa 78 . She never uses chalk.dont know what kind of tip she uses but it has never been chalked . She said she never uses more than a half tip of right or left English or one and half of high or low. She shoots slow and easy and plays position pretty good. I would like to hear your thoughts on no chalk cueing.

It is probably foolish. Or the rest of the pool word is stupid. No matter how good she is without chalk, she would be a lot better with it.

Valiant Thor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see her scuffs at the start of the match ,I don't know what tip she is using . Her cue is a cheap one but plays very well. Thought I would post this after seeing people argue about which chalk is best.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
She's using the basic rules: be precise, play with feeling and as little power and english as ever possible. Choose easy over complex solutions. Let it roll.

CHeers.

mister__p

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
She's using the basic rules: be precise, play with feeling and as little power and english as ever possible. Choose easy over complex solutions. Let it roll.

CHeers.

She probably started off playing snooker and that's a good thing.

This lady may be using one of those tips impregnated with chalk like Elk master but then again, she might be using a just an average tip. If you don't play fancy english and you have a solid stroke/game, you do not need chalk

Anyone here grow up with a small snooker table at home? I did and I had no chalk and managed without for years.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
She probably started off playing snooker and that's a good thing.

This lady may be using one of those tips impregnated with chalk like Elk master but then again, she might be using a just an average tip. If you don't play fancy english and you have a solid stroke/game, you do not need chalk

Anyone here grow up with a small snooker table at home? I did and I had no chalk and managed without for years.

I played with cues with no tips on them in a commons area at college. They quit fixing the cues as the tips always fell off when someone dropped the cue on the floor.

It taught me a lot: how to get shape without fancy moves, how to hit softly, so softly I was often accused of pushing the cueball. I learned mostly about proper use of slight follow, as it was the go-to thing when having no tip on a cue.

She would, as someone said, play better with chalk than without, imo.

Jeff Livingston

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doesn't mean that cues are better off without chalk. Just means that there are ways to accomplish things pretty well that don't require it. Sometimes people do things the hard way because they're used to what the chalk provides, but I guarantee you that the tool itself is better when used with chalk.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Why would you want to limit yourself. Oh, here is a shot that is gonna require a lot of draw... oh, that's right, I don't use chalk because I don't like the mess, the time to chalk, the bluing of my shaft, etc ??

Eh, I'd even use Kamui chalk before not using anything ;) lol