Updates Mosconi Cup Day 2

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny how he mentioned social media motivating him after his wife telling him everyone thought Shane had his number...wonder what she will tell him after he is being skewered for his behavior yesterday.

In reality, I bet they are encouraged to act out to some extent, but the over the top celebrations after EVERY RACK is not fitting a champion of his caliber.
He made a critical mistake in his doubles match with Kaci, when he left him too straight in on that 8-ball on the end rail with the 9-ball sitting just under the spot, and secondly by not instructing Kaci, who was obviously struggling with making a decision, to just to go ahead and make the 8-ball and get him a little off the rail for a relatively straight shot in either of the two far corner pockets. Kaci tried to do too much with it and rattled the 8-ball, and that turned the momentum in that match.

pocketsplitter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billy showed a lot of emotion and made big celebratory gestures as well, but when he went to shake Kaci's hand he calmed down and looked him in the eye. Jayson didn't even look at Shane and just kind of "slapped his hand away" shook his hand. That to me is the difference.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Styer vs Ouschan in a singles match on Day 4 would be fireworks. They are both playing the best out of their respective teams and they're very similar in terms of style and cadence.
Ouschan is a far more seasoned and proven player than Styer, and would be a strong favorite to win this match, if the Euros have any chance at a strong showing today. At the very least, the Euros need to win 3 of the 5 matches today to be in decent shape for tomorrow's final day of action.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny how he mentioned social media motivating him after his wife telling him everyone thought Shane had his number...wonder what she will tell him after he is being skewered for his behavior yesterday.

In reality, I bet they are encouraged to act out to some extent, but the over the top celebrations after EVERY RACK is not fitting a champion of his caliber.

i would bet he is over-amped because of the home crowd. probably a few friends in the crowd as well. no excuse, just my 2 cents. i don't like it a bit

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey, my dinner is no laughing matter (with many exceptions).

Day 1. 20-14 USA
Day 2. 20-18 USA

Total. 40-32

Question: what are the stats of games/matches won-lost when the lag is won/lost?
In short races to 5, the lag would seem to be very important.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can show emotion and celebrate while STILL showing some respect to your opponent. Shaw hasn't figured this out yet and probably never will.

I was totally wrong about this. I think someone pointed out how he reacted toward Shane in their match and he corrected this in later matches. So I now have zero problems with all the emotion Shaw displayed. I actually love seeing it, just not at the expense of your opponent. There's a fine line there and I think for the most part both teams did a tremendous job of walking this line. Past US teams did a horrible job in this regard. I think this match was a great step in the right direction for both sportsmanship and excitement. Our game can have both and it needs both!