New Video Dealing with Creative and Unusual Bridge Options

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
That shot/bridge right after the “sliding butt bridge” (or just #2) is very crafty and useful.
Are you referring to the 2nd sliding-butt bridge with the grip-hand fingers gripping the shaft close to a solid bridge hand to prevent the double hit? If so, I agree ... that is useful. FYI, here are previous videos Bob Jewett and I filmed many years ago showing several other useful techniques for avoiding double hits:

NV B.49 – Using your knuckles to prevent a double hit and stop the cue ball, with Bob Jewett
NV B.50 – Using your knuckles to prevent a double hit and get follow, with Bob Jewett
NV B.51 – Using your natural forward stroke limit to prevent a double hit and get draw, with Bob Jewett
NV B.52 – Using a fouetté shot to prevent a double hit, with Bob Jewett

And I think those last 2 were pretty dang cool, legal or otherwise
I hope that the next revision of the official WPA rules of pool is more forgiving than the current rules. IMO, one should be allowed to use a mechanical bridge however they want to help support the cue or bridge hand. One should also be allowed to place the cue on the table without keeping a hand on it. And one should be able to use the cue, the CB (with ball in hand) or their hands to measure whatever they want to measure (e.g., a ball gap).

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
A very good video -- quite good, in fact
Thank you.

-- even if the narrator (Dr. Dave) sounds like a GPS / navigator monotone voice. :p
My wife calls it my "teaching voice."

Learned a couple bridge techniques from this video, which made me go.... "Recalculating!" :p

-Sean <-- "Alexa Dave -- how much wood could a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"
Alexa Dave:

A woodchuck would chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood. :grin-square:

Thanks for the comments,
Dave

PS: I like Alexa's voice ... smart and slightly sexy. :eek:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think this is it, shot #2.

I can’t time stamp on my phone, but here’s the link: https://youtu.be/KNVlt3wBwco

Edit here’s a better one, about 3 min in: https://youtu.be/jwuf6kbA2YM

It was 2014 US Open finals against Orcollo.
Thanks! I've added a link to the YouTube video description. Here's what I have so far for pro examples of bridges used in my video:

Efren Reyes pinch bridge under cue with butt push

Ronnie Alcano regular stroke with bridge

Kyren Wilson hand bridge on top of mechanical bridge stick

Shane Van Boening stacked-bridge jump shot

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's another:

Gary Wilson elevating the mechanical bridge (rest) with his hand

I don't know why a snooker player would resort to this when they have all of those awesome high and long-reach spider rests. Dose anybody know why he chose to do this?

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
The one I remember is SVB jumping with two bridges in the finals of the US Open.

With a decent jump cue and stroke, this really isnt that hard to do. It's even easier with the classic white plastic bridgeheads because they have a little notch that allows them to interlock for the very purpose of stacking them.

Not to take away what Shane did plus the setting, still awesome to see in a high pressure finals match in one of the largest tournaments in the world.

But give it a try, youd be surprised.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
"Bullshit Bridge"
FYI, several people have asked about this on YouTube, so I added the following to the YouTube video description:

NOTE about "bullshit bridge:" Several people have asked why I chose this name (especially since it might be considered offensive to some). The reason is when the two middle fingers are curled under, the bridge looks like the standard hand gesture for "bullshit." The same hand gesture is also used for heavy metal "rock on" and The University of Texas "Hook 'em Horns" ... among many other meanings. For more info, see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_of_the_horns

Regards,
Dave

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Why is it called the bullshit bridge.?

I always thought it was the 2 finger cul de sac.

Oh, wait.....:smile-square:

Awesome video Doc.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Are you referring to the 2nd sliding-butt bridge with the grip-hand fingers gripping the shaft close to a solid bridge hand to prevent the double hit? If so, I agree ... that is useful. FYI, here are previous videos Bob Jewett and I filmed many years ago showing several other useful techniques for avoiding double hits:

NV B.49 – Using your knuckles to prevent a double hit and stop the cue ball, with Bob Jewett
NV B.50 – Using your knuckles to prevent a double hit and get follow, with Bob Jewett
NV B.51 – Using your natural forward stroke limit to prevent a double hit and get draw, with Bob Jewett
NV B.52 – Using a fouetté shot to prevent a double hit, with Bob Jewett

I hope that the next revision of the official WPA rules of pool is more forgiving than the current rules. IMO, one should be allowed to use a mechanical bridge however they want to help support the cue or bridge hand. One should also be allowed to place the cue on the table without keeping a hand on it. And one should be able to use the cue, the CB (with ball in hand) or their hands to measure whatever they want to measure (e.g., a ball gap).

Regards,
Dave

Yes that was the shot I was referring to, and thank you kindly for those other links. I can’t get to them from work but I will definitely check them out later.

Your time and effort has helped me in my few years of playing, I’ve got the VEPP dvds and they rock. Thanks again

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted the following new video on YouTube:

NV J.22 – Top 10 Creative Billiards Bridge Options

Check it out. It demonstrates the following creative, unusual, and useful hand and mechanical bridge options:

1 – Elevated Hand Bridge
2 – Thigh Bridge
3 – Air Bridge
4 – Sliding-Butt Bridge
5 – Mechanical Bridge with Normal Stroke
6 – Vertical Mechanical Bridge
7 – Stacked Mechanical Bridges
8 – Hand-Elevated Mechanical Bridge
9 – Hand-Bridge on Mechanical Bridge Head
10 – Hand-Bridge on Mechanical Bridge Stick

Which do you guys like the best? Are there any that you had not seen before? A few of these have been discussed in recent threads, and I got some additional ideas from Bob Jewett.

Enjoy, and thanks in advance for any feedback or comments,
Dave
Has anybody seen other creative/unusual/useful bridges not included in my video. If you have a video link, please share it.

Thanks,
Dave

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's another:

Gary Wilson elevating the mechanical bridge (rest) with his hand

I don't know why a snooker player would resort to this when they have all of those awesome high and long-reach spider rests. Dose anybody know why he chose to do this?
All the more impressive because he is playing the world #1 Mark Selby and if he misses the shot he loses the frame. This was in the 2019 World Championship and Wilson beat Selby in the match 13-10. Here's a link to the full match: https://youtu.be/v3SLEdaEGGc?t=8975 (2:30:00 time for the bridge shot)
Thanks for the link to the full-match video. I've updated my link above and in the YouTube video description.

Do you or others know why he would chose to do this when he has convenient access to those cool snooker spider and extended "rests?"

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Thank you Dr. Dave. And please...never leave us. I really enjoy your posts.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great bridge lesson!

#2, with the knee on the table, leg sort of folded up, very handy. I remember you doing this for a jump shot during our VNEA match. But the cb was farther out toward center table. You made this move look so natural, and I remember thinking...."Damn, can I even do that, I mean, without first doing some stretching exercises?" Lol

Congrats on a couple of strong finishes in both 8 and 9 ball by the way!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great bridge lesson!
Thanks.

#2, with the knee on the table, leg sort of folded up, very handy. I remember you doing this for a jump shot during our VNEA match. But the cb was farther out toward center table. You made this move look so natural, and I remember thinking...."Damn, can I even do that, I mean, without first doing some stretching exercises?" Lol
This is definitely an advantage of being tall and in good physical condition. The downside is the need for a deep-crouch stance to get my head low on normal shots. Bob Jewett says I should consider femur-reduction surgery so I can join the ranks of the "vertically challenged."

Congrats on a couple of strong finishes in both 8 and 9 ball by the way!
Thanks. And congrats again for beating me in my first-round 8-ball match. I was very embarrassed by my level of play, but it was a good wake-up call. I was able to win the next 6 matches to make it to the final round. My 6th match was a close call against a very solid wheelchair player. Talk about bridges ... that guy could reach everything, and he wasn't phased at all by a 2'-3' bridge, and he only used a cue extension once during the entire match!

Catch you later,
Dave

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Bob Jewett says I should consider femur-reduction surgery so I can join the ranks of the "vertically optimum." ...
FTFY. And you will finally be able to fit into airline seats.:thumbup:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob Jewett says I should consider femur-reduction surgery so I can join the ranks of the "vertically challenged."
Bob Jewett misquote of dr_dave said:
Bob Jewett says I should consider femur-reduction surgery so I can join the ranks of the "vertically optimum."
FTFY. And you will finally be able to fit into airline seats.:thumbup:
Shame on you for editing my quote. :eek:

You're a bad boy. :grin-square:

Regards,
Dave