Silicone/Rubber Wrap

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the Super Billiards Expo a few years ago I picked up what I thought was a rubber wrap (that one rolls on and off a cue). The vendor who sold it to me said he had some for the three-cushion event down there. It eventually tore, and I bought a new one online, but it was much thicker and I didn't like it as much.

In looking about online I now see that there are silicone wraps, and wonder if that is in fact what I bought at the SBE.

Can anyone comment on the silicone wraps? And any specific recommendations (for example, I see that Tiger makes one, and Molinari has one).

Thanks. I may cross-post to the main forum, but thought this might be the best source.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you bought it at the 3Cushion area it was probably IBS branded. Most of the brand are thin.

When the SBE was in Valley Forge there was one year that Longoni showed up. They have a silicone grip. The one I bought at the time was a tad thicker than IBS, was a real SOB to get on but I liked it and it lasted a long time. It looks like they've changed it from then. Mine was textured. BTW silicone has good oil resistance.
https://www.longonicues.com/longoni-cues-accessories?id=238:longoni-suggested-handgrips

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you bought it at the 3Cushion area it was probably IBS branded. Most of the brand are thin.

When the SBE was in Valley Forge there was one year that Longoni showed up. They have a silicone grip. The one I bought at the time was a tad thicker than IBS, was a real SOB to get on but I liked it and it lasted a long time. It looks like they've changed it from then. Mine was textured. BTW silicone has good oil resistance.
https://www.longonicues.com/longoni-cues-accessories?id=238:longoni-suggested-handgrips

Thanks. The wrap I bought at the SBE was actually not in the 3C area, but I think sold by one of the collectable cue dealers. It did not have any branding on it.

I watched the video for the Longoni wrap (had to look on YouTube as the link seemed broken on their site) and it contemplates spraying the shaft with Windex and then sliding it on, whereas I had always done the roll-up approach. Do you know if the roll up technique works with silicone wraps (my cue already has a linen wrap so I don't want to spray).

Thanks.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Longoni has a slip on wrap and that's not the one I'm talking about.

They have Silicone and Latex roll on wraps too.

Try the link again. I just did and it worked for me. Or search Longoni cues.

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone here on AZB a few years ago gave the advice (maybe it was Bob Jewett? I'm not totally sure) of using penrose drain tubing and that's what I've been doing ever since.

Really grippy, averages out to $1 each, and easy on/off. When you first open the package there's a slight medical supply rubber smell but it wears off. The only downside is they're so grippy that you'll have trouble getting your cue in and out of a slip-in style case, if you have one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GC2YY8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Someone here on AZB a few years ago gave the advice (maybe it was Bob Jewett? I'm not totally sure) of using penrose drain tubing and that's what I've been doing ever since.

Really grippy, averages out to $1 each, and easy on/off. When you first open the package there's a slight medical supply rubber smell but it wears off. The only downside is they're so grippy that you'll have trouble getting your cue in and out of a slip-in style case, if you have one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GC2YY8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yes, that was my suggestion. It's not really necessary on an unwrapped cue. The main problem with them(apart from the case) is that they need to be replaced every few weeks as they tend to tear.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, that was my suggestion. It's not really necessary on an unwrapped cue. The main problem with them(apart from the case) is that they need to be replaced every few weeks as they tend to tear.

Bob,

Why are they tearing? Is it taking them on and off?

The silicone (or rubber) wrap I originally picked up I would put on and off every time (because of the case issue), but I actually picked up a cloth tube thing JB cases sells that you can put your butt in and then it slides into a tube-style case. I think he made them for these sport wrap cues, but it worked for me.

By the way, I don’t need it for my playing cue (which has a cork wrap), but I do want one for my break cue, which has a slippery linen wrap that makes me grip it too hard.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob,

Why are they tearing? Is it taking them on and off?

The silicone (or rubber) wrap I originally picked up I would put on and off every time (because of the case issue), but I actually picked up a cloth tube thing JB cases sells that you can put your butt in and then it slides into a tube-style case. I think he made them for these sport wrap cues, but it worked for me.

By the way, I don’t need it for my playing cue (which has a cork wrap), but I do want one for my break cue, which has a slippery linen wrap that makes me grip it too hard.
Well, I'm not careful enough about hitting the edge of the table. Also, if it is your playing cue and you play a lot, they seem to just wear out. They might last longer for a careful person. I think they are a good choice for someone who is considering a rubber wrap because of the price.

I have a butterfly style case -- opens down the side -- so I don't have to worry about the grip sticking problem.

No, you do not want to remove them, normally.

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do find that mine tear probably as frequently as Bob says, and likely for the same reasons.

Of all the other purpose-made rubber wraps I've bought, I never quite liked one enough to buy replacements and so over the years I've wasted $5, $8 etc. just too many times.

And the only times I come across ones I fall in love with, the cue owner invariably can't remember where he got it.

If you give me your address I'll mail you one so you don't have to spend $25 gambling on it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just put a piece of electric tape on the edges. Works perfect. No tearing. If any residue is left a little GooGone will remove it.