How long does it take for your APA stats...

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be updated after your night of play?

When I started 2 years ago, our old league operator would have the stats updated by the night after our matches were played. Now with the new league operator often we are waiting (I play Wednesdays) til Tuesdays or sometimes even during the day the following Wednesday. I've heard NAPA has an app that basically updates in real time directly after matches are played. That would be sweet, and you would think with all of the APA money they could have an app developed. This isn't a huge deal to me, just annoying when we are wondering if people are going to change SL and with summer we have people missing more often, so it's hard to prep for the 23 rule.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
To be updated after your night of play?

When I started 2 years ago, our old league operator would have the stats updated by the night after our matches were played. Now with the new league operator often we are waiting (I play Wednesdays) til Tuesdays or sometimes even during the day the following Wednesday. I've heard NAPA has an app that basically updates in real time directly after matches are played. That would be sweet, and you would think with all of the APA money they could have an app developed. This isn't a huge deal to me, just annoying when we are wondering if people are going to change SL and with summer we have people missing more often, so it's hard to prep for the 23 rule.

Lol, that is a common problem. They scramble at the last moment to get it done.

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree that the APA is behind the times when it comes to having a scoring app. I think LO's would love it as it would save them some serious data entry time.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's completely dependent on the system the LO uses. Does s/he have you mail them in? Does s/he have drop box and he picks them up? How often does s/he pick them up, ie how big of an area does he have to drive and how long does it take? Our LO uses drop boxes and he picks them up 2x per week (I believe) so he does data entry that evening and the next morning. It takes him 3+ hours to hit all the bars with drop boxes so he's not willing to do this daily, and I don't blame him at all.

As far as having a system like NAPA, it's not really feasible I don't believe. APA LO's have to look into the numbers, as they are supposed to make sure people aren't manipulating the system (they're supposed to anyway). There's a term but it slips my mind(no, not sandbagging), basically, it's determined by HOW they win and lose.

So, to answer the OP, I play on Thursday's and ours are updated Wednesday morning/mid-morning as well as the people who play on Wednesday's. So theirs are last minute also.

I ran a BCA league with 6 teams (3 matches) and I had people take a picture of the score sheet and then mail original and money in to me. Out of 25 weeks or so, I'd say all 3 score sheets (I'm on a team so 1 was guaranteed) made it to me that night (via picture text or email) probably 5-7 times. People are lazy and won't send me a picture. Then I have to wait on the mail and then sometimes I'm busy so it'd be 1-2 days before league, instead of the next day had it been texted to me the night of. Something to remember, you're relying on others to turn theirs in on time too.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play APA Thursdays. Drop box for scoresheets. Usually web is updated Monday. Sometimes Tuesday.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play on Monday.....Drop box...website updated usually by Friday night.
You have to understand that some LO's have full time jobs or businesses to run.
I just try to use a little patience. As long as I have the info I need at least a day before the
match, all is good. We usually don't have to worry about going over handicap. So looking at the
score sheet when arriving at the match is good enough for me.

RoadHustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I play Monday they update Wednesday or Thursday after my league operator picks up the packets. If I play Thursday it's updated Sunday or Monday. His area is pretty big geographically so I get it. Probably drives 4 hours a week minimum.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The NOLA APA usually takes 6-7 days to update stats. There are league matches Monday through Thursday in my division, so I can understand why it takes so long. They basically update the stats, the day of, when it really matters. Seeing it early is fine and dandy, but isn't necessary.

Hell, we're lucky they just started showing more data, specifically points per match.

madhatter44

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Score sheets for the following week by Thursday. Not until the following week Friday or Saturday for rest of Stats.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who cares ... APA sucks ...

14d476a975081c6b6e72e6d2789d5af4d2a48a090c7c8727ce7446227abec8f7.jpg

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
Ugh.. My APA league sucks - the tables are all complete garbage, obstructed by walls and restaurant patrons, bunched up cloth at the pockets and balls that are worn down to marbles - stats are currently 2+ WEEKS behind. So I'm playing at a SL that may or may not even be accurate.

I wish there were options but it's either this league or no league for me :(

b

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Doesn't sound like an APA problem Willy, sounds like a room (or lack thereof) problem.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
We play 8-ball on Tuesday, the scores are usually updated Fridays, sometimes over the weekend.

We play 9-ball on Thursday, usually updated by the next Tuesday.

Our LO's territory covers a couple hundred miles and over 10 divisions, so picking up/dropping off the sheets isn't feasible. While I like the idea of utilizing online methods, I wonder if everyone in our part of the world would be able to adapt, and if not, then the updates would still have to wait for the US Mail anyway. We can fax or email them in, for scoring update purposes, then mail the hard copy and check along afterwards, which works nicely.

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
Doesn't sound like an APA problem Willy, sounds like a room (or lack thereof) problem.

That's a fair point about the tables and venues, I suppose if they cut out all the crappy locations none would be left around me so it's more sour grapes about the conditions than the APA itself...

The scorekeeping lag is on the League Operator and I think the APA shares some of the blame there because of their archaic methods for keeping and submitting scores.

Hajidub

Registered
Local APA = 6 to 7 days

Local NAPA= By the time I get home from the poolhall

My local APA even has a PT data entry woman and it still takes forever. I just stopped looking at the page and do/play who my captain tells me to (basically just show up).

TCIndepMo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For Jackson County Missouri (much of greater Kansas City and some suburbs):

In house divisions - envelopes are picked up around midnight the same night of play. Processed and updates posted when I get home and before going to bed. For example, when Tuesday in house players get to work on Wednesday morning they can check their APA stats page and updates are there waiting for them with that first cup of coffee.

Travel teams - envelopes are picked up the next day, processed and next week's scoresheets are in the mail headed back to the teams by late afternoon on the day after they play. But usually, when they get home from work they can see their updates also on the APA stats page. Just a little later in the day. Sometimes a division is delayed for a day if half of the captains don't get the envelopes turned in for my pick up. I have FIVE locations designated around the county as APA envelope drop offs so the captains can choose whichever is most convenient for them.

Each APA area is a little different in geography, number of teams/divisions and system for captains to drop off envelopes for LO pick up. Some L Os have one county (me), some have hundreds of square miles to deal with. You players, captains, owners and bartenders are different, so are we APA league operators. What works in one area might be a disaster a few hundred miles away. Be careful when you start comparing us - rapidly gets to an "apples and oranges" situation.

Also, if blizzards and heavy rains make driving hazardous, then everything is subject to change.

LATE EDIT - entire APA computer system is down for national maintenance for next 2-3 days. LOs have no control of this. No one has access to any info until back to normal, hopefully by Monday or Tuesday. Info I provided above is during "normal" circumstances.

Last edited: