Playing By Myself at Home

Logandgriff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've been playing by myself at home for over three months and have actually gotten a little better I think but now I'm getting very bored. Besides various drills (which generally are not fun for me) I have been playing nine ball against the ghost, and trying to run 15 balls after break and ball in hand. I tried practicing one pocket but I'm not a one pocket player so I was just floating around lost when I did that.

Do you have any ideas for other fun games to play solo?

Thank you. Stay safe and have fun.

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Advantage of home table is being able to practice crucial fundamentals at the luxury of your own pace. It can be a hindrance if a person is lazy though. Pressure does benefit most people.
I'd say set other goals to accomplish that will give you a good foundation to progress.
Can you make 10 out of 10 spot shots in either corner pocket from center of the head string line?
Are you comfortable making long table length cuts against the rail consistently?
If you're not comfortable with 1 pocket, maybe look into short rack bank pool...
Practicing banks is plenty of fun and frustration when new to the game.
Try target zone rewards for practicing shape.
Allow yourself something nice if you're able to put the cue ball exactly where you want it several times in a row.
Learn precise carom angles.
A fun game for this is often called Russian pool. You intentionally shoot object balls at the cue ball, and try to get the object ball to go into the pocket off of the cue ball only.
Practice precise draw stroke. Like how to get the cue ball to reverse different lengths from at least 3 diamonds distance.
I'd say the key is set realistic goals that aren't going to drive you away from the table by becoming frustrated, or bored.
If you set goals for gradual realistic progress, you'll be eager to play, than feeling bored or like you're forcing yourself to enjoy the table time.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing by myself at home for over three months and have actually gotten a little better I think but now I'm getting very bored. Besides various drills (which generally are not fun for me) I have been playing nine ball against the ghost, and trying to run 15 balls after break and ball in hand. I tried practicing one pocket but I'm not a one pocket player so I was just floating around lost when I did that.

Do you have any ideas for other fun games to play solo?

Thank you. Stay safe and have fun.
14.1 - the very best game to practice alone. When you miss, rack them up and start over leaving one ball in position for a break out shot. Always shooting for your high run.

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Equal Offense is good, I’m currently keeping records of my progress improvement.

Fargo, same thing

Bowlliards looks interesting but haven’t tried it yet, another game where you can keep running average over multiple sessions.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Play straight pool, start with a break shot, and keep trying to beat your high run. Video it if you can and post the results in the "ghost" thread.

Straight pool is like chess, it's aggravating at times but rewarding. Trying for higher runs will improve your game or show your weaknesses. You might get disgusted but it's not boring. It's very good for subtle angles, breaking out balls and fine cue ball control. It's also a game of nerves, the shots look easy but anything can be missed.

Last edited:

34YearsOfPlayin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't play when I get bored anymore. I always come back a much better player after taking a break.

I spend more time watching good players than playing these days. (because I get better doing so)

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never practice or do drills on my table. However, I play games to hone certain skills. games like ‘Sharpshooter’ and ‘Stalingrad’.

I make up a lot of games. Too much to get into but try and break the habit of the white ball needing to be the cueball...or needing to play an established game. Watch game of Russian Pyramid or Honduran Rotation...not to copy them but to give some ideas.

I also make up imaginary league with an elimination schedule...Uk Vs Brazil. Winner plays Canada vs India, etc. I can get right into it as if watching the Olympics, except I’m the one playing.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play a game of opposite.

I made up this game and I have learned quite a bit.

In most shots, there is more than one way to get to the next shot. For example if you would get to the next shot with draw, use the opposite (follow) to try to get to the ball.

The same with inside and outside English.

What I have learned is if one path is blocked, I have options. The second thing I have learned is I can be 10X more accurate with follow than draw.

If you are honest and practice some "opposite" I bet you will see more improvement.

This endeth the lesson for today.

Ken

Last edited:

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
14.1 - the very best game to practice alone. When you miss, rack them up and start over leaving one ball in position for a break out shot. Always shooting for your high run.

This is what I have been doing for the last three months. Got three runs over 40, really helps position play. I find myself only watching the cueball path after the shot.

-dj

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play straight pool, start with a break shot, and keep trying to beat your high run. Video it if you can and post the results in the "ghost" thread.

Straight pool is like chess, it's aggravating at times but rewarding. Trying for higher runs will improve your game or show your weaknesses. You might get disgusted but it's not boring. It's very good for subtle angles, breaking out balls and fine cue ball control. It's also a game of nerves, the shots look easy but anything can be missed.
Very accurate description of the greatest pool game invented!

Modsat

Registered
Equal Offense is good, I’m currently keeping records of my progress improvement.

Fargo, same thing

Bowlliards looks interesting but haven’t tried it yet, another game where you can keep running average over multiple sessions.

Sounds interesting. Would you elaborate on Equal Offense and Fargo? Or possibly post a link to an explanation somewhere? I'm nearly always alone at the table so I'm also looking for something fun to do besides just regular drills :)

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member

Absolutely ... tap, tap!

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know it's been said, but honestly nothing improved my consistent ability like playing straight pool.

Play honest straight pool and keep a journal of your runs.

Bowlliards is fun for one also. Equal offense too. But nothing beats 14.1.

white1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve been playing at home alone also

It’s tough to stay motivated.
I started with 6 ball ghost.
Then spent time on Bert kinister 60 minute work shots.
Then went to just playing 9 ball.8 ball
Now back on 6 ball ghost.

Hard to stay motivated for sure.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know it's been said, but honestly nothing improved my consistent ability like playing straight pool.

Play honest straight pool and keep a journal of your runs.

Bowlliards is fun for one also. Equal offense too. But nothing beats 14.1.
I know I’ve already posted on this topic, but practicing straight pool by yourself, you will never get bored. Frustrated, yes. Every time you miss and rack them up again with a break shot, the goal/focus of shooting for that PR high run will keep you motivated and determined like no other solo practice game or drill possibly can! That applies equally regardless of whether your PR high run is less than one rack or 100+ balls!

Last edited: