Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Ask The Cuemaker
Reload this Page 5/16-14 Atlas brass insert install?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
5/16-14 Atlas brass insert install?
Old
  (#1)
pip9ball
AzB Silver Member
pip9ball has a reputation beyond reputepip9ball has a reputation beyond reputepip9ball has a reputation beyond reputepip9ball has a reputation beyond reputepip9ball has a reputation beyond reputepip9ball has a reputation beyond reputepip9ball has a reputation beyond reputepip9ball has a reputation beyond reputepip9ball has a reputation beyond reputepip9ball has a reputation beyond reputepip9ball has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

5/16-14 Atlas brass insert install? - 11-07-2019, 10:38 AM

Hi All -

I bought some self-aligning brass inserts from Atlas and I'm curious if the installation process is different from the standard (non-shoulder) versions?

The shoulder diameter is .450" with 7/16-20 outside threads.

Does the following sound like the right approach?

1.) Center drill 25/64" to depth of insert.
2.) Bore .450" to depth of shoulder on insert
3.) Tap 7/16-20" to depth of hole.
4.) epoxy insert.

Thanks,

Phil

Old
  (#2)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

11-07-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip9ball View Post
Hi All -

I bought some self-aligning brass inserts from Atlas and I'm curious if the installation process is different from the standard (non-shoulder) versions?

The shoulder diameter is .450" with 7/16-20 outside threads.

Does the following sound like the right approach?

1.) Center drill 25/64" to depth of insert.
2.) Bore .450" to depth of shoulder on insert
3.) Tap 7/16-20" to depth of hole.
4.) epoxy insert.

Thanks,

Phil
#3 before #2.
Also grind a flat on one side of the insert to prevent it from spinning.
Wet cotton swab with thinner and clean the inside of the insert right after gluing. If epoxy gets in there, it's screwed.

Old
  (#3)
pip9ball
AzB Silver Member
pip9ball has a reputation beyond reputepip9ball has a reputation beyond reputepip9ball has a reputation beyond reputepip9ball has a reputation beyond reputepip9ball has a reputation beyond reputepip9ball has a reputation beyond reputepip9ball has a reputation beyond reputepip9ball has a reputation beyond reputepip9ball has a reputation beyond reputepip9ball has a reputation beyond reputepip9ball has a reputation beyond repute

11-07-2019, 12:54 PM

Thanks Joey! Can you elaborate more on grinding a flat?

Old
  (#4)
Mcues
AzB Silver Member
Mcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-07-2019, 01:07 PM

Some of the self aligning inserts have grooves on the shoulder to prevent them from turning and better epoxy holding, although, adding a flat spot won't hurt. You can make a small ball out of paper towels and inserted in the brass insert before gluing to prevent epoxy from entering.

Mario

The trouble with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.
Mcues3@aol.com

https://www.facebook.com/Mcues-11355...dmin_todo_tour

Old
  (#5)
aphelps1
AzB Silver Member
aphelps1 has a reputation beyond reputeaphelps1 has a reputation beyond reputeaphelps1 has a reputation beyond reputeaphelps1 has a reputation beyond reputeaphelps1 has a reputation beyond reputeaphelps1 has a reputation beyond reputeaphelps1 has a reputation beyond reputeaphelps1 has a reputation beyond reputeaphelps1 has a reputation beyond reputeaphelps1 has a reputation beyond reputeaphelps1 has a reputation beyond repute

11-07-2019, 03:42 PM

Dipping the bottom of the insert in hot bee's wax and letting it solidify before putting the insert into the wood is also a nice way to keep the epoxy out.

Alan

Old
  (#6)
pip9ball
AzB Silver Member

11-07-2019, 11:09 PM

Thanks for the tips all!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

5/16-14 Atlas brass insert install?
Old
  (#7)
Tommy-D
World's best B player...
Tommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond repute

5/16-14 Atlas brass insert install? - 11-08-2019, 05:17 AM

You can stick a foam earplug in there and pull it out after you have the insert installed.

My method is to drill inserts out undersize,then use the last drill bit and/or bore and tap AFTER they are installed and the epoxy is set. Tommy D.

"I'm going to try to work it out so at the end its a pure guts race.............because if it is..............I'm the only one that can win." Steve Prefontaine

Old
  (#8)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member
Michael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond repute

11-08-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
#3 before #2.
Also grind a flat on one side of the insert to prevent it from spinning.
Wet cotton swab with thinner and clean the inside of the insert right after gluing. If epoxy gets in there, it's screwed.
And of course face the shaft before installing the insert. You would think who ever is making these inserts would have done the course thread at the bottom instead of continuing to copy what uni loc has done. If the tolerances are not correct the insert will of course suck out.

Best Wishes
Michael Webb

Old
  (#9)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member
Michael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond repute

11-08-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-D View Post
You can stick a foam earplug in there and pull it out after you have the insert installed.

My method is to drill inserts out undersize,then use the last drill bit and/or bore and tap AFTER they are installed and the epoxy is set. Tommy D.
Something about old school kind of makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

Name:  IMG_20191108_095238.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  96.3 KB

Best Wishes
Michael Webb

Old
  (#10)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member

11-08-2019, 08:05 AM

And of course a simple channel on two sides using a dremil. To easy.

Name:  IMG_20191108_100307.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  72.6 KB

Best Wishes
Michael Webb

Last edited by Michael Webb; 11-08-2019 at 10:03 AM.

Old
  (#11)
pip9ball
AzB Silver Member

11-08-2019, 08:33 AM

I hadn't even thought about just making my own insert! Where can I find the blank brass inserts?

Old
  (#12)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member

11-08-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I hadn't even thought about just making my own insert! Where can I find the blank brass inserts?

The company that you listed use to offer blanks. I would ask them. The rules of this forum prohibit listing suppliers or I would gladly list others. But I would look in the machinery section and ask the person selling Prongs. They might also offer the blanks.

Best Wishes
Michael Webb

Old
  (#13)
pip9ball
AzB Silver Member

11-08-2019, 12:26 PM

Thanks Mike!

I had another question that I'm hoping you can help with. Ultimately this shaft is to be paired with a mezz united joint. I tried test screwing the insert I bought from Atlas into a mezz united pin and ingot about 2 threads in before it wouldn't go on further without forcing.

I'm assuming the mezz pin has a bit larger diameter than the insert. Would you happen to know of boring the insert a little bigger would solve this?

Thanks!

Old
  (#14)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member

11-08-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks Mike!

I had another question that I'm hoping you can help with. Ultimately this shaft is to be paired with a mezz united joint. I tried test screwing the insert I bought from Atlas into a mezz united pin and ingot about 2 threads in before it wouldn't go on further without forcing.

I'm assuming the mezz pin has a bit larger diameter than the insert. Would you happen to know of boring the insert a little bigger would solve this?

Thanks!

I don't know exactly. I have a larger tap that works for me. Mezz, Black Boar and Tascarella use a full 5/16x14 joint screw. (.312/.313 full screw)

Best Wishes
Michael Webb

Old
  (#15)
pip9ball
AzB Silver Member

11-08-2019, 12:46 PM

Where did you get your larger tap?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: