Diamond Ball Polisher issue...

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend has temporarily loaned me his Diamond ball polisher.

I use a little (say penny to nickel sized) drop of Aramith ball cleaner on top of each ball, then set it to go.

After a few minutes the balls start to slow their spin, and often times lock up and the machine will reject the center piece (sometimes rejecting a few balls in the process).

To avoid this I have a spray bottle of water and when it starts to seize up I spray the balls to give them some lube.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this? I would have thought it should be a set it and forget it operation instead of a watch the pot boil one.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I use a little (say penny to nickel sized) drop of Aramith ball cleaner on top of each ball, then set it to go.

After a few minutes the balls start to slow their spin, and often times lock up and the machine will reject the center piece (sometimes rejecting a few balls in the process).

To avoid this I have a spray bottle of water and when it starts to seize up I spray the balls to give them some lube.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this? I would have thought it should be a set it and forget it operation instead of a watch the pot boil one.

I have a single platter Diamond ball polisher and what I do is put a little of the Aramith Ball Cleaner on a micro-fiber cloth, smooch it around on the cloth, swath each ball to evenly coat, put them in the polisher, and then let them go for about four minutes. Viola.

I wouldn't recommend the drop per ball approach. Also, depending on how worn the liner is that could be an issue. Diamond sells replacement liners and sprockets for a nominal cost.

Lou Figueroa

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
If I pay $$$ for a polisher I don't wanna still be doing hand rubbing / polishing.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I pay $$$ for a polisher I don't wanna still be doing hand rubbing / polishing.

lol, I feel the same but if its going to save me from being hit by shrapnel...much less damaging my duramiths...

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
you are using way way too much polisher. just put a few drops on the side of it or on a ball or two. then let the action take care of it. you are having the slowdown because of so much polish you create friction. that is what you dont want. plus all that polish ends up on your cloth and thats not good.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also have a single platter diamond polisher. I think Lou Figueroa hit on the most likely problem, the liner in the machine. When I got mine used, the liner was worn out.
All I did was take it out, turn it over , and reinstall it. Lucky for me, The other side had never been used. Also, on the diamond website, they do sell replacement liners.
Diamond recommends the aramith cleaner, but also recommends Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer . Be careful when using the Meguiars. I sprayed a little on the balls when I cleaned them, including the CB. After a couble of cleanings, I could draw the rock
5-6 rails! A waxed CB is fun to play with, but very hard to control!
Good luck.

Here is the link to the ball polisher.

http://www.diamondbilliards.com/Accessories/BallPolishers.aspx

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't know if they still make them, but I've had a Bludworth Ball Cleaner/Polisher for 22+ years, cleaning 12-14 sets of balls once a week, and have had absolutely no problem. I change out the felt pad on the plate and the felt strips in the 16 individual holes roughly once a year, as they do get dirty. I also use Meguiar's Detailer Polish, applying one full squirt of spray per set as soon as I turn it on.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
snip snip snip...just put a few drops on the side of it or on a ball or two snip snip snip....

One or two drops will do 2 full sets usually.

Going to try that out. That’s a TON less than I’ve been using.

I’m pretty sure the pads are worn out (I would’ve thought that would reduce friction and not increase it but what do I know) so I guess since I’m getting free use of it I’ll invest in that.

Thanks

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also have a single platter diamond polisher. I think Lou Figueroa hit on the most likely problem, the liner in the machine. When I got mine used, the liner was worn out.
All I did was take it out, turn it over , and reinstall it. Lucky for me, The other side had never been used. Also, on the diamond website, they do sell replacement liners.
Diamond recommends the aramith cleaner, but also recommends Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer . Be careful when using the Meguiars. I sprayed a little on the balls when I cleaned them, including the CB. After a couble of cleanings, I could draw the rock
5-6 rails! A waxed CB is fun to play with, but very hard to control!
Good luck.

Here is the link to the ball polisher.

http://www.diamondbilliards.com/Accessories/BallPolishers.aspx

You might want to check out Dan White's experiments with different polishes. If you do, you'll stick with the Aramith products.

Lou Figueroa

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will echo the others...2 drops on the firs group of 8 and then a second drop for the remaining 8. Start balls spinning before dropping juice.

And, I will then go a couple cleanings without any polish.

MrSharp

Registered
I don’t have a Diamond polisher, but I do have a Ballstar and it hardly uses any polish at all just need to dampen the applicator with the polishing liquid and that’s it, then the next time I use it the applicator will still have dried polish on it so I just wet it with some water.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The Aramith cleaner builds up in the carpet like clay and packs it down reducing the buffing ability of the machine. When I designed it, I did so for the use of the Maguires cleaner wax in a paste, just a little goes a long way. But as is, you're using way to much Aramith cleaner as it first builds up on the surface of the balls and carpet and creates a lot of friction until the ball polisher runs the excess cleaner off the balls....where so you think all that cleaner ends up at??

DappleHillJim

Registered
A little dab'll do ya.

I put eight balls in the cleaner, turn it on (15 minutes or so) then dribble 5-6 drops of ball cleaner on the spinning balls. Any more than that amount and the balls will seize up momentarily. When that happens, a ball may pop out of the cleaner...maybe two balls. I have even had the center dealie pop out. Use the cleaner sparingly...5-6 drops is plenty.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I put eight balls in the cleaner, turn it on (15 minutes or so) then dribble 5-6 drops of ball cleaner on the spinning balls. Any more than that amount and the balls will seize up momentarily. When that happens, a ball may pop out of the cleaner...maybe two balls. I have even had the center dealie pop out. Use the cleaner sparingly...5-6 drops is plenty.
I don't understand the reason for 15 minutes? I think the ball polisher will have done all its going to do spinning the balls for 60-90 seconds.