Need help with forming a local One Pocket League.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I have a venue with 2 freshly restored Diamond Professionals, new cloth, new cushions, completely refinished. One with 4.25" corners and 4.75"sides( I am naming this Super Pro-Cut Pockets) I am and the other standard Pro-Cut. You would rotate between the 2 different tables so you did not have to play on the Super Pro-Cut every week.
Rules are easy www.onepocket.org

How to set up the format, how many players in the league and the fine details I am not so sure about.

Any and all input is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Trent from Toledo:thumbup:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I have a venue with 2 freshly restored Diamond Professionals, new cloth, new cushions, completely refinished. One with 4.25" corners and 4.75"sides( I am naming this Super Pro-Cut Pockets) I am and the other standard Pro-Cut. You would rotate between the 2 different tables so you did not have to play on the Super Pro-Cut every week.
Rules are easy www.onepocket.org

How to set up the format, how many players in the league and the fine details I am not so sure about.

Any and all input is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Trent from Toledo:thumbup:

I'm playing in a double elimination tournament that is going to be played once a week over several months so this is my background.

Consider going another way.

Try putting your players in Pools. This way you promote the tops of those Pools to a finals that you can run Single or Double Elimination.

It gives a lot of value and lets more people play each other but yet isn't round robin taking up so much more time.

My two cents.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I'm playing in a double elimination tournament that is going to be played once a week over several months so this is my background.

Consider going another way.

Try putting your players in Pools. This way you promote the tops of those Pools to a finals that you can run Single or Double Elimination.

It gives a lot of value and lets more people play each other but yet isn't round robin taking up so much more time.

My two cents.

I appreciate your input, but, can you be more clear? I need more details on what you are talking about. I am thinking a weekly league<<< (format is needed) and a final tournament would be great. How many people will we need total to make it reasonable on time each week and how long will the league run, how many play per week and how much should the weekly fee be so there is some trophies/ money in it for top 3?

Trent

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I appreciate your input, but, can you be more clear? I need more details on what you are talking about. I am thinking a weekly league<<< (format is needed) and a final tournament would be great. How many people will we need total to make it reasonable on time each week and how long will the league run, how many play per week and how much should the weekly fee be so there is some trophies/ money in it for top 3?

Trent

Ok. Pick a number any number of people that you expect to sign up and lets start there. Doesn't have to be accurate this is hypothetical.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I think 12 is a good starting number.

Thank you!

Trent

Ok. We have 12 teams of one player per team.

You can evenly divide 12 by 2, 3, 4, and 6.

By 2 there are 6 people in one Pool
By 3 there are 4 people in one Pool
By 4 there are 3 people in one Pool
and by 6 there are 2 pool of 6.

All of the people in each pool will play the other members of their pool.

You will decide ahead of time who gets promoted. You'll decide the top 1, the top 2 or the top 3 winners in each pool. Likely the top 2 at the most.

IF there are ties you go back to the game where the two are tied in total wins and see who won that game. The winner goes to the finals the losers do not. They are out.

Decide how big you want the Pools and also realize that if you have an odd number like 11 that you either have to step in and play to make the number even or you do a blind draw and grant a bye to the members of one of the teams.

So here we are we divided the pools into 4's there were 3 such Pools and we promoted the top 2 of each pool and we have 6 finalists that will play either Single or Double Elimination Finals and you'll know ahead of time how many will get prize money or whatever are the prizes.

The only drawback to this format is when someone drops out, but you have to grant byes for those matches if others have played them this way everyone is equal or you disqualify any matches that person has played altogether and its still even.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I play 14.1 in a drop-in league. Each Saturday those who can make it are matched up. If people stick around, it's possible for them to get in three matches in one day. The fee for each match is $10. (I'm pretty sure there are no greens fees or at most a dollar per player.)

At the end of the season, those who have more than a certain number of matches in (14?) get into the single-elimination playoffs. The two or three players with the most wins get byes which encourages more play by the players who are already qualified. Everyone in the playoffs wins some money. First has been as much as $700.

Each match is handicapped according to the two players' ratings. There are tables for this.

Ratings are adjusted after each match. If you win, you go up. If you loose you go down. The adjustment for each match is maybe the equivalent of a tenth of a ball at one pocket.

The ratings are more or less equivalent to Fargo ratings in terms of the kind of scale that is used.

If this sounds interesting, I can provide more details including a spot chart for one pocket.

With a drop-in league, new players can start after the season has started -- you don't have to have all of your signups to begin. It can accommodate any number of players. If a player starts real late he may have trouble getting in enough matches to qualify for the playoffs.

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
one pocket doesn't seem like a league game

it seems like one hole is a gambling game,individual
match up and play

don't pat too much attention to me,pool leagues sound funny

when i think league play,i think embroidery shirts and bowling

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
That is an awesome idea. I'd go with Dr. Jewett's idea. Much simpler, if
people don't make it big deal and you get several matches pay as you go. An
awesome idea. All of the elements of Modified Round Robin are there except the
winner/loser relationship to get in the finals and this way if you play your matches
everyone gets the reward. Perfect.

I play 14.1 in a drop-in league. Each Saturday those who can make it are matched up. If people stick around, it's possible for them to get in three matches in one day. The fee for each match is $10. (I'm pretty sure there are no greens fees or at most a dollar per player.)

At the end of the season, those who have more than a certain number of matches in (14?) get into the single-elimination playoffs. The two or three players with the most wins get byes which encourages more play by the players who are already qualified. Everyone in the playoffs wins some money. First has been as much as $700.

Each match is handicapped according to the two players' ratings. There are tables for this.

Ratings are adjusted after each match. If you win, you go up. If you loose you go down. The adjustment for each match is maybe the equivalent of a tenth of a ball at one pocket.

The ratings are more or less equivalent to Fargo ratings in terms of the kind of scale that is used.

If this sounds interesting, I can provide more details including a spot chart for one pocket.

With a drop-in league, new players can start after the season has started -- you don't have to have all of your signups to begin. It can accommodate any number of players. If a player starts real late he may have trouble getting in enough matches to qualify for the playoffs.

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member

I am gathering data. This does seem pretty easy. Hard part is handicapping people. Keep the good ideas comin! Thanks everyone!

Dean Campbell, chill out you old rascal! There will not be any embroidered shirts or bowling!! It will be good for the one pocket scene here in Toledo. GAMBLING RUINS MOST THINGS.... Just my opinion!

Trent

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Hard part is handicapping people. ...
The initial handicaps are the hardest part of the system. Often there is someone in the league you can compare them to. If they are a complete unknown, you have to guess, like a Fargo starter rating. When I have been an LO for such a system, I explain that the initial rating is just a guess and it may be changed. Then after a month I look at their performance and if I was off by quite a bit, I adjust them.

Since the ratings are self-adjusting, if you get them pretty close to start with, like within a ball, you don't have to intervene.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
The initial handicaps are the hardest part of the system. Often there is someone in the league you can compare them to. If they are a complete unknown, you have to guess, like a Fargo starter rating. When I have been an LO for such a system, I explain that the initial rating is just a guess and it may be changed. Then after a month I look at their performance and if I was off by quite a bit, I adjust them.

I am thinking of doing the handicapping like this: Everyone starts out equal, after everyone has played 3 weeks, average them out and correct the prior three weeks of play and move forward. Something like that at least. I have 2 very good local players helping with this as well. I appreciate any and all input. Thanks

Trent

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am thinking of doing the handicapping like this: Everyone starts out equal, after everyone has played 3 weeks, average them out and correct the prior three weeks of play and move forward. ...
After the initial startup, the system for adjusting ratings has to be objective, simple and transparent. It should not be a "handicap committee" going into the back room and emerging with a new set of ratings. It should not be some "special formula" hidden in the computer that people are not allowed to see or understand. (Not that any league would ever use such a system.;))

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
After the initial startup, the system for adjusting ratings has to be objective, simple and transparent. It should not be a "handicap committee" going into the back room and emerging with a new set of ratings. It should not be some "special formula" hidden in the computer that people are not allowed to see or understand. (Not that any league would ever use such a system.;))

I agree 100%. Our goal is for the league to run itself and most importantly be FAIR!

Trent

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good luck with the league. Very cool of you to organize. Would definitely play if I
was local. 8nOut sir.

GriffinG

dogger of balls
Silver Member
I have been running a one pocket cash league for the past 3 years after doing extensive research on leagues in other parts of the country. It’s handicapped using what I believe is a very fair system, almost entirely based upon a player’s average balls per game. The 2 players’ handicaps are compared, and a scale is referenced to determine what the game is. I’ve written about it a few times on 1p.org

Players of all levels, from total beginner all the way up to Dennis Hatch have played in it.

I’m happy to share any of the docs I’ve made, including stat tracking and score sheets if you like. PM me your number if you’d like to discuss it more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk