Bought Dale Perry Cue - Partial Review

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I paid $139 for the one I got, and I think that my have been with free shipping.

I bought it just for the hell of it to see what kind of cue they actually were to be selling so cheap.

I loved the look of the butt of the cue I had. It wasn't cheap or flashy looking. It had some simple black inlays and the wood was a really nice dark brown with black grain and it had a black wrap with brown specks.

The cue was well balanced and the weight was good. I ordered it at 19 ounces and Dale through a couple extra weight bolts in for free that would bring it up to 19.5 or 20 ounces.

I got the standard shaft with the long pro taper and the wood seemed to be kind of grainy and wouldn't slick up real good no matter how fine a sandpaper I used. It had quite a bit of deflection, too. I think the cue would have played much better if the shaft would have been better quality.

For the price, the cue wasn't a bad deal at all and probably better than a lot of deals. I know a couple guys who use Dale Perry butts and REVO shafts.

If I had some radial shafts with plain black collars that would fit those cues, I wouldn't mind ordering another one just to get the butt. The only radial shafts I have are the Murray Tucker shafts that go with my custom Sneaky Pete and those rings would look funky with a non-matching Dale Perry butt.

I sold the Dale Perry to a guy in Hawaiian Brian's for exactly what I paid for it. I probably could have gotten a bit more, but all I wanted was my money back after a chance to experiment with the cue.
I'm not questioning the quality, but at that price, I'm sure a lot of us are curious as to whether these butts and shafts are really custom made in his own shop, or do you think he gets them made for him overseas?

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not questioning the quality, but at that price, I'm sure a lot of us are curious as to whether these butts and shafts are really custom made in his own shop, or do you think he gets them made for him overseas?

I have to admit that that is a hard question to answer , He told me that he makes these in his shop from start to finish, He has a guy who helps him and they make sure everything is right on. Now , at that price I do think that these are built as cost effective as possible . But then again a lot of factory made cues are I assume. I read were a guy visited his shop and he had a extremely huge amount of beautiful wood for butts and shafts. But he could do what Martin Guitar did with the Shenandoah line back in the 80's , they would import every component from japan and finish in Nazareth so they could say assembled in USA. I hope to get to try it out in a day or 2 , everywhere I play is down due to virus . But the Butt is flawless and looks as nice as any I have seen . The Finish is beautiful . The wrap is sweet . The shaft not so fond of due to taper , to thick .

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to admit that that is a hard question to answer , He told me that he makes these in his shop from start to finish, He has a guy who helps him and they make sure everything is right on. Now , at that price I do think that these are built as cost effective as possible . But then again a lot of factory made cues are I assume. I read were a guy visited his shop and he had a extremely huge amount of beautiful wood for butts and shafts. But he could do what Martin Guitar did with the Shenandoah line back in the 80's , they would import every component from japan and finish in Nazareth so they could say assembled in USA. I hope to get to try it out in a day or 2 , everywhere I play is down due to virus . But the Butt is flawless and looks as nice as any I have seen . The Finish is beautiful . The wrap is sweet . The shaft not so fond of due to taper , to thick .

I've heard or read about someone visiting his shop, too. As a matter of fact, I think somebody on here a long time ago once said they played in the same pool league as he does and knows him.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard or read about someone visiting his shop, too. As a matter of fact, I think somebody on here a long time ago once said they played in the same pool league as he does and knows him.

When I was researching about his cues I found a old thread from here were a guy said the very same thing. He said he played in a pool league with him and had Dale build him a cue for someone on his team maybe. He also said he had been to his shop. He said that Dale build one heck of a cue !

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was researching about his cues I found a old thread from here were a guy said the very same thing. He said he played in a pool league with him and had Dale build him a cue for someone on his team maybe. He also said he had been to his shop. He said that Dale build one heck of a cue !

I'll give you another little secret I got from talking to Dale.

I don't know how true it is, but I don't see any reason he would lie to me.

We were talking about shafts, waxes, and conditioners to make them smooth and slick.

He said he knew the woman who came up with Cue Silk. He said she was a Korean (I think) hair dresser and that Cue Silk is nothing more than some kind of hair conditioner that is bottled and sold as Cue Silk. I have had the stuff before and always wondered why it smelled so good.

I think he even told me the name of the conditioner, but I can't remember that far back.

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
I wanted to check out his cues a while back, but the shipping cost to the UK put me off. $100 for the cue and $100 for shipping.

triley41395

You'll shoot your eye out
Silver Member
Meucci now makes shafts with a Radial pin option, that would fit that DP cue.

https://www.budgetcues.com/meucci-shaft-the-pro.htm

There was a time many moons ago, before he began selling on ebay that Dale's cues sold for a premium. He was considered a tru custom cue maker. I have heard that he also has a river of wood that would make most cue makers envious. It's true at the price he sells them for one might be suspicious of the quality but a lot of people who swear they are great. I've never had one but at the price point I'm not sure why, it would be pretty hard to go wrong.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have and do own many high end customs. I had a Dale Perry $125 eBay cue about 7 years ago- it was a very fine cue that looked and played very well. Dollar for Dollar it was the best deal on a cue you could find anywhere. I have bough them on eBay as gifts for people that play just as a past time and they really love them. I have read some negatives on here about them- but my own experience was that it was and still is a very good cue for the money. Just speaking from my own experience.

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I hate to admit it but these cue play great and are a good bang for the buck. His old cue took a major hit when he started selling on Ebay for under 100 bucks! Really pissed a bunch of people off!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate to admit it but these cue play great and are a good bang for the buck. His old cue took a major hit when he started selling on Ebay for under 100 bucks! Really pissed a bunch of people off!
I know a guy that paid BIG money for a couple of his customs before he went rogue on Ebay. Nice cues but he'll NEVER get anywhere near what he's got in them. His current stuff are un-real bargains. Instead of buying Chinese get one of these.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a DP, built quality is not there for a real "custom" rings are popping, several of the inlays (not sure if all are or just painted) are fuzzy around the edges, almost like paint bled into the wood. Good part is that the balance and hit feel are nice, and the stock shaft puts a lot of spin on the cueball. It's fun to play with, and is a standard radial so fits on other shafts easily. For hit feel it's in the top tier of cues for the price, for construction quality towards the lower end, behind Players, cheaper McDermotts and the Valhala Vikigs.

There is a review section for cue reviews not just the main forum.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dale Perry cUE

These are great playing cues-
very well built-
excellent shaft wood too-
I recommend-
HAVE THE TIP YOU PREFER INSTALED, AND YOUR SET :wink:

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got off the Phone with Dale and had a nice conversation with him. I ask him " How do you build these and sell them on Ebay and come out and do you make them all in your shop " . He told me everything is built in his shop , by him and his employee. He said from start to finish , the reason he can sell them as he does is because the Wood comes from a Guitar Factory that he buy's left over wood that cannot be used . He said the piece's are big enough to make a cue but not big enough for a guitar and it is left over after they cut what they need. He said he also get's a huge discount on the joint screw's because he buy's them 1000 at a time . He told me he has a machine he bought in 1996 and paid $ 20,000 for it that cranks out parts all day , 5 days a week. He told me that all the cues are built in his shop and nothing is made overseas . He told me that low overhead and no debt enables him to be able to make these at that cost. He also told me he could change the shaft taper or size for $ 25 extra dollars .

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know a guy that paid BIG money for a couple of his customs before he went rogue on Ebay. Nice cues but he'll NEVER get anywhere near what he's got in them. His current stuff are un-real bargains. Instead of buying Chinese get one of these.

Buy the time he did this I had sold mine thank God!.

Tmyers101

Registered
Dale Perry

I've owned a Dale Perry for a couple of years now. The first thing I did was change shafts. I don't know what the big deal about his Stage IV shafts is, bit I don't find them any good. I love the butt end of the cue, though. I have a 29" and 30" custom shaft for it. It's been my main player for about a year now.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still have not got to hit with it yet , If this Virus crap will wind down . They are talking about opening back up Business here on the 25th of this month, But we are supposed to wear a mask starting May 11th. They are not going to cite anybody that Is not wearing one but a business can ask you to leave the store if you do not . No shoes , no Shirt , no mask , no service. I am curious to see how that plays out. I can't wait to see how the DP plays . I am very eager to try out, Everywhere I play is still down, will report back once it sees action.

SamShaddey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Dale Perry cue hanging on my wall dude that owned it broke it playing a set against me. He lost thru his cue on the ground and pick it up and said see this cue is rock solid. At that point the every thing from the back side of the rad fell off. I let keep the cash but he had to give me the cue. And now when he comes over he has to look at every time hanging on my wall. Also turned the but sleeve into a bowl so he has to smoke out of his cue too.

But to be honest i have owned a few DP cues all played good to great. The only problem i have ever Seen in them was sloppy inlay work where filler was used when inlays were cut to small but that’s why they are on eBay for cheep if you want a perfect one and to your spects call him up he will make it for you! Got a buddy that did that got an awesome forward ballance 60 inch cue that hits a ton. Just my 2 cents