• received_558497064790278.jpg
    received_558497064790278.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 325

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, OK, but essentially no one at the DCC 14.1 Challenge used that break shot. I think it's too easy to scratch. They nearly all used either a ball on the center spot or the standard side-of-the-rack break shot.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never scratched. Thats why it is my favorite.

Cueball closer, or further away and I do scratch.

9BallJim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer using a break shot that is a more conventional break shot, one that is likely to be seen in a game. The odds of that break shot coming up is pretty improbable.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
I prefer using a break shot that is a more conventional break shot, one that is likely to be seen in a game. The odds of that break shot coming up is pretty improbable.

I totally agree with Jim... When practicing it is best to start with a side of the rack break shot as one would most likely find in a match situation. As for those side pocket break shots, they are fine if you just want to smash open a rack. You can just about do the same if you just throw out the balls on the table.... Also as Bob stated above, those break shots cause a lot of scratches into the corner pocket..... When setting up a side of the rack break shot. Always put the cue ball & break ball in a little different area to get used to what takes place during a match. The main thing is to get used to working through a rack and practicing the correct way...... Getting back to that side pocket break... One can play to set up for one of those break shots if a ball rolls near a side pocket during the clearing of balls from the table...... It is good to practice those shots because just the slightest difference in the spot of the cue ball can cause the cue ball to miss the whole rack or to scratch in the corner... Practice to hit one of the top two balls in the rack directly head on. Know the areas of the table that best works for you.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When practicing my straight pool, I always starting with a fresh rack whenever I miss. I try to vary all the possible potential break shots, which I would highly suggest is the best way to practice.

Last edited:

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The side-of-the-rack breakshot into the corner pocket usually gives the best ball spread, but while a more acute angle (with follow/inside english) leaves the best resulting CB position, it also (for me) results in the most misses!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Center spot. One diamond above the side and one off the rail for the cue ball.
Most will agree that is likely one of the very easiest 14.1 beginning of rack break shots to execute - not only to successfully pocket the ball but also to get an excellent spread.

However, in the course of playing 14.1, it is not very likely that this is a break shot you'll often be leaving yourself at the completion of a rack, so starting out each new inning with this setup is not doing much to improve your 14.1 game.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Most will agree that is likely one of the very easiest 14.1 beginning of rack break shots to execute - not only to successfully pocket the ball but also to get an excellent spread.

However, in the course of playing 14.1, it is not very likely that this is a break shot you'll often be leaving yourself at the completion of a rack, so starting out each new inning with this setup is not doing much to improve your 14.1 game.
At one point Corey Deuel was working each rack to set up such a shot for his break. He was pretty good at moving balls to the sides.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I totally agree with Jim... When practicing it is best to start with a side of the rack break shot as one would most likely find in a match situation. As for those side pocket break shots, they are fine if you just want to smash open a rack. You can just about do the same if you just throw out the balls on the table.... Also as Bob stated above, those break shots cause a lot of scratches into the corner pocket..... When setting up a side of the rack break shot. Always put the cue ball & break ball in a little different area to get used to what takes place during a match. The main thing is to get used to working through a rack and practicing the correct way...... Getting back to that side pocket break... One can play to set up for one of those break shots if a ball rolls near a side pocket during the clearing of balls from the table...... It is good to practice those shots because just the slightest difference in the spot of the cue ball can cause the cue ball to miss the whole rack or to scratch in the corner... Practice to hit one of the top two balls in the rack directly head on. Know the areas of the table that best works for you.

Mike you have seen me play , I believe any ball , any where can be a breakball:) On this table some easy breakshots, leave no shots as the rails are springy enough balls go to a cushion and back into the stack.

As I stated this is my favorite.:wink:

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I set this up today and shot it with a different shaft on my cue. This shaft is 13 1/4 mm and has way more deflection. I missed the head balls and went 2 rails into the back of the stack. Got a great spread.

Shot it 2 more times before I realized the deflection difference.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
I set this up today and shot it with a different shaft on my cue. This shaft is 13 1/4 mm and has way more deflection. I missed the head balls and went 2 rails into the back of the stack. Got a great spread.

Shot it 2 more times before I realized the deflection difference.

It's been a long time since we talked... I have taken a long time off from the Forum. Glad to see that your break shot is working out for you. Keep up the good work.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, OK, but essentially no one at the DCC 14.1 Challenge used that break shot. I think it's too easy to scratch. They nearly all used either a ball on the center spot or the standard side-of-the-rack break shot.

Well after about 40 good breaks , I started to scratch.:( Since the first I think I have managed to scratch in 5 diff pockets. Interestingly enough I only started scratching after I polished the balls:rolleyes:

Another thing sometimes the rack spreads so much that only 3 ball combos and 2 ball billiards or caroms are available. But I guess that is why this is such a challenging game.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well after about 40 good breaks , I started to scratch.:( Since the first I think I have managed to scratch in 5 diff pockets. Interestingly enough I only started scratching after I polished the balls:rolleyes:

Another thing sometimes the rack spreads so much that only 3 ball combos and 2 ball billiards or caroms are available. But I guess that is why this is such a challenging game.

Are you right, or left handed? Do you think it matters which side pocket is used?

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you right, or left handed? Do you think it matters which side pocket is used?

I am right handed. In the long run it does prob make a differance but it is more likey what one is most comfortable with.

I know I leave more break balls on the right side.(Often they are on the wrong side of everything:rolleyes:)

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find that re: the two concentration issues (pocketing & rack contact point), since I am right handed and always try to leave a breakshot on the left, I usually miss both most often when it’s on the right. It tried your Rt. side pocket hanger break, and had a hard time hitting the rack accurately (frequent scratches).