best way to store cues

MANPUSS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ive had mine in a safe in the cases . but i saw on here people had these things where they hang the cues from the ceiling .

how does everyone do it ? id be nervous having cues hanging from ceiling , i told my wife i want to build a small hidden room ,we live in the sticks , i conceal carry and gun nutt , our community is like 200 people , and you gotta drive 25 miles to get to a store .

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
ive had mine in a safe in the cases . but i saw on here people had these things where they hang the cues from the ceiling .

how does everyone do it ? id be nervous having cues hanging from ceiling , i told my wife i want to build a small hidden room ,we live in the sticks , i conceal carry and gun nutt , our community is like 200 people , and you gotta drive 25 miles to get to a store .

I keep mine in cases, standing upright. Every so often I’ll take one and hang it on a cuehanger for a couple of days. I try to handle all my cues regularly, just so that they are not sitting in the same position within the case for months or years.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I keep mine in cases, standing upright. Every so often I’ll take one and hang it on a cuehanger for a couple of days. I try to handle all my cues regularly, just so that they are not sitting in the same position within the case for months or years.

This. Store upright in case... play often.

Avoid extended storage in intense heat or cold, or high humidity. I've never heard of to low humidity being a problem, but maybe someone in the desert areas can chime in on that.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
best way to store cues is to send them to me....:D
i will take good care of them.....:thumbup:

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My JB case is extremely tight. I have an out of the way, interior corner, not near any perimeter wall that I hang them with those rubber things from I think Seyberts.
They stay perfectly straight. I do take them down and wipe them off pretty often. Nothing is getting on them, I just want to handle them, do about 100 strokes between 2 close objects or a bottle!

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Never lay them standing up on an outside wall. Interior closet/etc is fine. Outside walls change temps am/pm Every day.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My basement is heated in the winter and air conditioned in the summer. My good cues are all in cases either hidden on top of a bookcase or if being used lately standing in their case on end next to the bookcase. My cheaper "loaner" cues are in a floor rack very near an outside wall. Others are in a wall rack mounted to a inside wall. I haven't seen a bit of difference in the twelve years I've been here.

triley41395

You'll shoot your eye out
Silver Member

I enjoy looking at mine. I don't hide them, I display them. Granted I don't own any over a grand.. Screenshot_2020-05-27-11-50-50.jpg

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I collect guitars and cues.

One can’t generalize. Depends on your climate.

Where I live it’s cool and dry. Things last forever. No need to loosen strings on guitars, worry about temp, humidity, in cases or not.

In contrast, iI used to live in Atlantic Canada and needed to baby them.

I’ve never had a pnissue with a cue in our dry cool climate. I could leave it for 2 years in any position, in a case, etc and no different.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're super paranoid, this will cap humidity (but it doesn't add humidity). I use these for exchangeable lenses....

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1348545-REG/ruggard_edc_120l_electronic_dry_cabinet_120l.html

There's also a more popular brand called "Sirui", but the 2 I've had of those were nothing but trouble (and they were more expensive).

1550769805_1348545.jpg

There is also beads that can regulate to an approximate ~5 RH, but those require babysitting as they do require water typically at some point (there's also 1-off beads/dispoable ones, but those are hit and miss).

EDIT: If you're interested in one of those dry boxes, I can get together a basic DIY plan, they aren't very hard to make (a lot of people make them out of old Coca-Cola kiosk fridges).

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Store in a Case, in Closet in Cool Place in home. Decent Cues will not warp, if you buy a Cue Made in some wet place, that is not climate controled it could warp if you live in a very hot & dry climate.

I never ever leave a Cue in the Car in summer in AZ, the inside of my car after 15 minute could reach 120 degrees plus.

Nucklehead Snowbird left his Cue Csse in the Car all summer in his AZ Garage. Then he could not figure out why they WARPED.

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For 35 years I've always stored my cues laying down on the top of my closed. I have never had anything warp...even a little. They have stayed straight as an arrow.

I swear by friction fit / air tight cases and I do take them our periodically to ensure they are not sitting in the same position for months at a time.

On the subject, funny story: years ago a buddy of mine (a truck driver) asked to borrow one of my cues. I asked him "what's the matter with yours?". He said he always keeps his cue in his rig so it's always with him...spring, summer, fall and winter. This particular day was below zero and he said his cue was all "sticky" from being frozen. I told him "YOU CAN'T KEEP YOUR CUE IN YOUR TRUCK YEAR ROUND - IT WILL WARP!". He handed me his cue (a Scruggs). I rolled it on the table and everything was dead straight.

Paul Drexler told me some wood just doesn't want to stay straight no matter what you do.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my safe

I store mine in my safe. They are vertically stored either in cases, or in location.

I have coins, guns and the wife's jewelry as well as our important paperwork.

Best thing for piece of mind for me was getting the safe.

When I see cues displayed, internally I think, "Wow, you have made it incredibly easy for the guys that are going to rob you!"

Ken