How I Met Eric, a lesson learned

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I just got off the phone with an AZ member and this story came to me.

This goes back awhile. I had an idea that Eric was a really tough and wild guy from all the things I read on the internet. I wanted to play him and I wanted to beat him. So I was getting in stroke for a tournament and got in stroke and he was coming in to LAX. I'm banging balls on the table at Hollywood Billiards warming up for my big match, West Coast Chris versus East Coast Eric with his big guns and NYC 'tude - man in my mind this was going to be EPIC.

So my cell phone rings and it was Eric - I said "are you at LAX"? and he laughed, "Stuck in Newark and my flight's cancelled. Can we get together tomorrow?". I said sure, but the tournament was starting, so we can't play.

So Eric shows up at the tournament with his lovely and charming wife. He hands me a package. It's a gift for my 12 year old daughter. He's a complete gentleman, she's a class act lady, and what I felt was total shame. They bought me about $50 worth of drinks and we talked about everything on RSB and AZ. They were so nice to me! I was knocked out but they got me laughing and forgetting about it. I've got to say, Eric is one hell of a guy and a very capable pool player. I was really happy to meet him and he was nothing like I thought he would be.

You may think you know the members here, but you just don't know them until you know them. It really was one of the most memorable days for me ever. Later on we did get together and play and it was not only epic, it was fun. He can roll 'em.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Hey Chris, I know a guy who will play you some One Pocket in L.A. :)

I used to say "one pocket is for old guys" - now I have no excuse!:wink:

Looking forward to "More Pool Wars" by the way. And next time you're up this way (near San Luis Obispo) let me know.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
That's a great story Chris. You are definitely right too. You really don't know someone until you break bread with them...

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Goodwill is Awesome!

This goes back awhile. I had an idea that Eric was a really tough and wild guy from all the things I read on the internet. I wanted to play him and I wanted to beat him. So I was getting in stroke for a tournament and got in stroke and he was coming in to LAX. I'm banging balls on the table at Hollywood Billiards warming up for my big match, West Coast Chris versus East Coast Eric with his big guns and NYC 'tude - man in my mind this was going to be EPIC.

So my cell phone rings and it was Eric - I said "are you at LAX"? and he laughed, "Stuck in Newark and my flight's cancelled. Can we get together tomorrow?". I said sure, but the tournament was starting, so we can't play.

So Eric shows up at the tournament with his lovely and charming wife. He hands me a package. It's a gift for my 12 year old daughter. He's a complete gentleman, she's a class act lady, and what I felt was total shame. They bought me about $50 worth of drinks and we talked about everything on RSB and AZ. They were so nice to me! I was knocked out but they got me laughing and forgetting about it. I've got to say, Eric is one hell of a guy and a very capable pool player. I was really happy to meet him and he was nothing like I thought he would be.

You may think you know the members here, but you just don't know them until you know them. It really was one of the most memorable days for me ever. Later on we did get together and play and it was not only epic, it was fun. He can roll 'em.

For all of the Negativity that goes on here there is an equal chance for something positive. I would love to see an Annual AZ event held at different pool rooms across the country where a large pool room opened its doors to AZ for a week long, tournament/trade show or if not tournament have several minis including Bank Pool, One Pocket and the likes. I think it could be something truly epic.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Eric is a great guy. I know him going back to the RSB days.

But what you describe is actually a pretty common thing. Over the years I've met dozens and dozens of guys from the forums -- probably over 100 -- and, to a man, they are all really nice in person. It's just in cyberspace that some get rambunctious.

Lou Figueroa

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Well since we are sharing meeting Eric stories...

I first met Eric at SBE but it was a bit of an unconventional SBE meet up. Eric wasn't allowed in due to the infamous Fast Larry incident which happened the year prior. We got along online and I had no problems with him prior. I was just looking for a few of my online friends to hang out with.

We exchanged numbers and we met up at the Radisson lobby and went to a local poolhall near Valley Forge to hit balls for a few hours. I remember having one of the worst hangovers of my life thanks to the InsidePool party room (man those were fun) the night before.

His wife Susie is awesome and as nice as she is lovely. We had a great time, hit balls for a few hours and then went to the IP party again that night. I think Eric even snuck into the expo that night to shoot with us all there.

Since that meetup I have hung out with him at multiple Expos and USOpens with the Jimbo Crew and the CCB (Billiards Digest) crew. We always try to make time to hit play a few sets at each event which is great because he plays jam up too.

Eric is probably one of the most real people you could meet from an online forum. Dude's great. Happy to have him as a friend.

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
Mosconi 2013, front row center seats. to my right was SkySports (my husband when i'm in England). and to his right, was this guy who looked familiar from SpiderWebbCam's videos & the impending $20K match/feud....

OMG! it's Lou Figueroa! KK9, do we LIKE him????

screw it - i introduced myself. i don't know anyone's history herein; it's how you treat me.... a good time was had by all of us AZBers that trip! 28 of us hit Best Billiards & may or may not have broken into Bonus Ball's facility w/ Nathan's keys (shhhh!).

sometimes it's hard to read people through a keyboard. it's always better to pick up the phone. Chris - solid post. i look forward to one day, us meeting you, and Eric too!

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have my picture on my Avatar and each year folks come up and introduce themselves from AZ and we have a few drinks and laughs.

I think we miss a lot of opportunity when folks don't feel comfortable showing their faces in our discussions.

I also think that anonymousness leads to some pretty nasty posts that folks would never say in person.

JMO,

Ken

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Truth...I have met up with AZB folks all over the U.S. , and the world, even...

Good people...except that easy-e. Not too sure about that dude.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
There's always that moment when you think " wow, you look/act nothing like I imagined"

mia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well since we are sharing meeting Eric stories...

I first met Eric at SBE but it was a bit of an unconventional SBE meet up. Eric wasn't allowed in due to the infamous Fast Larry incident which happened the year prior. We got along online and I had no problems with him prior. I was just looking for a few of my online friends to hang out with.

We exchanged numbers and we met up at the Radisson lobby and went to a local poolhall near Valley Forge to hit balls for a few hours. I remember having one of the worst hangovers of my life thanks to the InsidePool party room (man those were fun) the night before.

His wife Susie is awesome and as nice as she is lovely. We had a great time, hit balls for a few hours and then went to the IP party again that night. I think Eric even snuck into the expo that night to shoot with us all there.

Since that meetup I have hung out with him at multiple Expos and USOpens with the Jimbo Crew and the CCB (Billiards Digest) crew. We always try to make time to hit play a few sets at each event which is great because he plays jam up too.

Eric is probably one of the most real people you could meet from an online forum. Dude's great. Happy to have him as a friend.

I was there. We also went to dinner someplace. Can't remember the name of the joint for the life of me. Then we drifted over to a midnight tournament somewhere too. But that night was also my first time meeting Eric. And you for that matter. lol. And to this day, I still consider you both good friends. Love the JimBoArmy meet-ups at SBE.

Then I had to go and get married and start popping kids out! And as my family got bigger, my SBE days became more and more rare. Lol

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I don't think Eric is really any different in person than he is online. It's just that in person, everything he says is with a smile, in a fun way. Online it sounds aggressive. In person it sounds funny. Great guy. Great wife. Just genuinely happy folks. Whether having dinner, drinking beer, or playing pool, he talks smack & a lot of it. It's all in good fun, and he writes on the forums exactly what he'd say in person. The issue is with written words, there's no facial expression or tone of voice, no body language. People get misunderstood, then wrongfully judged.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Damn, Chris. I was a lil apprehensive about opening this thread, lol.

Thanks, Chris & the others, for the kind words.

I remember the first time we met too(offline), at Hollywood Billiards. One memory come to mind, which you can help me with. You were playign your match duringThe Swanee tourney and I decided to take a picture. The camera I was using had one of those auto focus assist lights that are kinda like a mild laser. I didnt realize it was on and I focused in on your head, while you were down on the shot. I think you missed. Did I get you with that dummass move? I've been living with the guilt for years...

Honestly, Chris, you were exactly the guy you come across as, online. The stereotypical laid back, cool, SoCal guy. For some reason, I got it stuck in my head taht you were a tattoo artist due to your old screen name of "Tateuts", hahah. Glad we got to play some and hang out a bit, on my last trip to LA. Dinner was great and hitting some balls was a nice break from work. You got a nice game too. I think anyone that is not a high level player will have their hands full, playing you. I'll look forward to the next time I can grab my "Wall-a-bushka" and hit some with ya. Maybe if you have some free time, on an East Coast trip? I got hte same cell number, let me know.

Well, my girlfriend then, is now my wife. Also, I've mellowed some, from years ago, when I first got on the forums. I mean, I'm still a d!ck, but I'm glad to know that I do have some redeeming qualities too, lol.

Talk soon, man.

Eric

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
real life > virtual reality

I've been on BBS and forums since about '97 for just about any hobby or interest and I've personally met many folks from cyberspace. Your experience is very much like most I've encountered and why I think people need to unplug themselves and experience real life more. The real world is still not as bad or scary as they'd have you believe.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I was there. We also went to dinner someplace. Can't remember the name of the joint for the life of me. Then we drifted over to a midnight tournament somewhere too. But that night was also my first time meeting Eric. And you for that matter. lol. And to this day, I still consider you both good friends. Love the JimBoArmy meet-ups at SBE.

Then I had to go and get married and start popping kids out! And as my family got bigger, my SBE days became more and more rare. Lol

Yeah man... we had a great time. That midnight tourney had a strong field man... I think I did the best of our group with 2 rack wins in a race to 5 against my opponent. LOL.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
TATE,

You have a way with words. ;-)

It's always nice to hear a good story about an AZBer, especially those you have never met and only know them from the forums.

JoeyA

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think Eric is really any different in person than he is online. It's just that in person, everything he says is with a smile, in a fun way. Online it sounds aggressive. In person it sounds funny. Great guy. Great wife. Just genuinely happy folks. Whether having dinner, drinking beer, or playing pool, he talks smack & a lot of it. It's all in good fun, and he writes on the forums exactly what he'd say in person. The issue is with written words, there's no facial expression or tone of voice, no body language. People get misunderstood, then wrongfully judged.

Not to completely derail the thread but our instructor in a college course had us do one experiment where we posted on a forum and everyone had to reply but the replies were hidden until the end and it just showed the user that posted it. I posted something like " I'll be at JJ's at 10 be there" and I would say close to 10% of the guys took it as you were meeting up for a fight. It's pretty crazy how some stuff gets misconstrued online.

More on topic. I live in SD and have never been to Fargo Billiards. Me and a couple buddies I recently brought into pool are looking forward to making a trip there this summer and hopefully I can run into a few AZBers in the area. It's cool to put faces with the people I see post.

Last edited: