Traveling with a small case 2x1, cue.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it safe to put it inside of the bag that goes in the plane belly, or shall I carry it with me inside of the airplane, I kind of want the first option if it is safe?

Has anybody experienced theft from the airlines while travelling, is this a common thing? when opening my bag, they might see a small case and something shiny inside of it, they might take it?

Thanks

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've travelled a few times a year with mine.
Just put it in my suitcase sideways.
You can't carry them on the plane
although some nutcase can bring an
emotional support dog, cat, bird, horse,
:(
Never had a problem nor the people I
travel with putting it in our suitcases.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
Majority of airlines do not allow pool cues as carry on any more. Check with your airline though. airplane luggage compartments can get very cold, which is the main reason I wouldn't take my cues with me. if you have a carbon fiber cue, then temp wouldn't matter.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Is it safe to put it inside of the bag that goes in the plane belly, or shall I carry it with me inside of the airplane, I kind of want the first option if it is safe?

Has anybody experienced theft from the airlines while travelling, is this a common thing? when opening my bag, they might see a small case and something shiny inside of it, they might take it?

Thanks

That's how I travel with mine, diagonally in a hard suitcase with a soft envelope case. Almost guaranteed you'll get a TSA inspection sticker. I have a locking strap on my case with a TSA approved combination lock. TSA will likely check the bag. Yes. it would be easy for someone to break into the strapped case but they would leave evidence of a break-in and baggage handlers don't want to do that.

I am in the travel business. Since baggage has become computerized and automated, the system is considerably more reliable than it used to be, but it's not 100% foolproof. Any loss of your cue will probably be covered under homeowners or the airline. FYI with hundreds of thousands of travel miles, I have not had a case lost, delayed or significantly damaged since after 9/11 and increased baggage security.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I travel with a cheaper sneaky pete cue that plays well enough on a short trip, I place it in a cheaper cue case 1X2, I place it in a larger checked bag- so far no issues- but the loss would be minimal if stolen anyhow. I would NOT travel with one of my custom cues that way- I would ship it ahead insured if I really needed it somewhere on an airplane destination route. Cannot carry on a cue- I have to laugh about the guy's comment on support dogs- seems like they are getting larger and larger on the planes- THAT part of airline travel is out of control IMO>

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's how I travel with mine, diagonally in a hard suitcase with a soft envelope case. Almost guaranteed you'll get a TSA inspection sticker. I have a locking strap on my case with a TSA approved combination lock. TSA will likely check the bag. Yes. it would be easy for someone to break into the strapped case but they would leave evidence of a break-in and baggage handlers don't want to do that.

I am in the travel business. Since baggage has become computerized and automated, the system is considerably more reliable than it used to be, but it's not 100% foolproof. Any loss of your cue will probably be covered under homeowners or the airline. FYI with hundreds of thousands of travel miles, I have not had a case lost, delayed or significantly damaged since after 9/11 and increased baggage security.

i put my case in my suitcase and lock my pool case with a tsa approved lock
only once have i had a tsa inspection sticker stating my suitcase was searched

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks
It appears that sometimes the baggage handlers steal things. I talked to a federal prosecutor about this after my laptop was stolen (whole small bag gone) and he said if they got enough complaints about a specific location, they would start an investigation. That was in 2005. I figure they saw the laptop in the Xray and the bag sort of fell off the conveyor belt into someone's car trunk.

A friend of mine plays snooker and left for an international tournament from SFO. Evidently his snooker cue (full-length case) never got onto the plane. I recommend against taking a cue that is really important to you or irreplaceable.

Things happen.

BTW, the airline did not pay for my laptop. That's one of the things they don't cover. Figure maybe $200 max if you lose luggage unless you have lots of receipts.

Desperado77

Traveled back from San Diego once with a $300 McDermott in a soft case shoved in the center of a locked sea bag. Showed up at final destination just fine.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try this.

It appears that sometimes the baggage handlers steal things. I talked to a federal prosecutor about this after my laptop was stolen (whole small bag gone) and he said if they got enough complaints about a specific location, they would start an investigation. That was in 2005. I figure they saw the laptop in the Xray and the bag sort of fell off the conveyor belt into someone's car trunk.

A friend of mine plays snooker and left for an international tournament from SFO. Evidently his snooker cue (full-length case) never got onto the plane. I recommend against taking a cue that is really important to you or irreplaceable.

Things happen.

BTW, the airline did not pay for my laptop. That's one of the things they don't cover. Figure maybe $200 max if you lose luggage unless you have lots of receipts.

Take a larger luggage that has room for a hard case. Get the max insurance on your luggage and hope it goes well. If you lose your best asset you can at least feel better about the compensation.

If you really don't feel comfortable with that, it does work, you can FedEx the cue and pick it up when you get there, I've done both.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I purchased a 36" bag on Amazon that I can pack clothes and a cue case in. If you have
cue travel bag that's probably what works best. I have seen people carry their case
on a flight, but TSA rules forbid a cue from being inside that case, but somehow it's
alright to carry Ice Skates in the passenger cabin. I believe I could do far more damage
with pair of ice skates than with a pool cue, but that's a whole 'nother rant.
While waiting for my luggage I have seen cue cases come out on the luggage belt.
Usually they are wrapped in some kind of plastic wrap.

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Don't fly no more but the good new is most baggage the airline handles is not damaged, or destroyed. But if you are unlucky don't say wish I had purchased insurance after the loss. That is not possible.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks

I put the hard case inside this, with some clothes, and a TSA lock, and am good to go.

I've made several trips with this setup and never had a problem.

Lou Figueroa

Attachments

• IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 231

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I put the hard case inside this, with some clothes, and a TSA lock, and am good to go.

I've made several trips with this setup and never had a problem.

Lou Figueroa

Nice, I presume that green thing is the TSA lock that you guys are speaking of.

Where do I buy this, and doesn't the airport allow this to remain locked without inspection or how does that work.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Where do I buy this, and doesn't the airport allow this to remain locked without inspection or how does that work.

You can buy them anywhere: online, at a luggage store, at the airport.

It stays on the bag but the TSA has a universal key to open it if they want to inspect.

Lou Figueroa

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member

Buy at Walmart, Target, Amazon.

A TSA Lock can be opened with a special key by TSA Agents.

Or

Get a TSA Strap Lock that goes around the bag.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you all for the information! I'll buy a TSA lock first thing tomorrow, with an extra bag that can fit my case, just like lfigueroa's setup.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I have an inexpensive hardside shotgun case. 39" long. Holds several cues. Paid $7 on sale.

Declare firearm and throw in an old firing pin along with the cue(s). Lock it with a non-TSA locks. Once it's declared, it cannot be opened without your presence.

Take my nice cue case as personal item carry-on.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Declare firearm and throw in an old firing pin along with the cue(s). Lock it with a non-TSA locks. Once it's declared, it cannot be opened without your presence....
Have they ever asked you to come and help inspect?