Corona virus drugs on the horizon. Encouraging updates for players + loved ones

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thankfully discussed in readily understandable layman's terms, here's news on 3 drugs in development to fight the CoVid-19 virus:

https://tinyurl.com/w6xa85y

And here are very encouraging preliminary findings on some of the existing drugs (and combinations) that may be repurposed to treat coronavirus:

https://tinyurl.com/swkqg8s

Room for realistic optimism IMO that "this too shall pass" eventually. And reason to fully cooperate with all mediation practices advised by recognized experts to limit the spread while we're logistically able to stem the tide and develop every solution.

Arnaldo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The three companies developing new therapies mentioned are all in the US. I think there must be dozens of other efforts in progress at this point.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The three companies developing new therapies mentioned are all in the US. I think there must be dozens of other efforts in progress at this point.
Here (below) are two in-depth discussions of several international efforts (also in layman's language). Vaccine news is rapidly evolving, but is subject to many private facilities' reluctance to publicly describe their approaches and methods too early. That said, for obvious reasons there appears to be many cooperative efforts between leading countries' government-funded research arms:

https://www.pri.org/stories/2020-03-17/international-researchers-race-develop-covid-19-vaccine

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/when-will-a-coronavirus-vaccine-be-ready

Arnaldo

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yesterday, on the radio they said that the fastest vaccine approved in U.S. history was an ebola vaccine. From first trials to final approval it took six years. :(

Chembry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I work in pharma. Trust me when I tell you that the current vaccination and drug development efforts won't help this outbreak. You have to do animal studies to show efficacy, then clinical trials to show safety and efficacy (desired response). Then you have to solve the manufacturing issues and file for approval. All of those take time.

The best hope we have is to use currently approved therapeutics. Doctors can prescribe any medication if they think it will help. Currently, it seems like a cocktail of antivirals may help, but that data is still very preliminary.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yesterday, on the radio they said that the fastest vaccine approved in U.S. history was an ebola vaccine. From first trials to final approval it took six years. :(

Must be true because it was on the radio?

It's actually not true.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I work in pharma. Trust me when I tell you that the current vaccination and drug development efforts won't help this outbreak. You have to do animal studies to show efficacy, then clinical trials to show safety and efficacy (desired response). Then you have to solve the manufacturing issues and file for approval. All of those take time.

The best hope we have is to use currently approved therapeutics. Doctors can prescribe any medication if they think it will help. Currently, it seems like a cocktail of antivirals may help, but that data is still very preliminary.

What exactly do you do in pharma?

Your description of the process is erroneous.

There are provisions for accelerating the process. They have been used in the past and are being used now.

The first human trial for a vaccine started last Monday.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Good News is if this is the real deal, Pool Rooms, Pool Bars, and Leagues could be back to normal. Guess that is not important News?

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There are provisions for accelerating the process. They have been used in the past and are being used now.

And Trump 'feels good about it'.... His hopes hunches and feelings are irresponsible. He also has said its 'under control' and 'will disappear'. Trump needs to try shutting up.
Please leave this on NPR..to keep the inmates confined

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well Trump cut miles of red tape to speed up the process , seems like a arthritis and malaria drugs is something they are looking into ,but a new break though will take far less time than the normal that big pharmaceutical loves just means more money in their pocket big Pharmaceutical companies are cancer to our country in this crises I'm hoping big Pharmaceutical companies are on board and not doing their usual price gouging these are readily available easily produced like MnM's , it's still unclear of what age group it's actually working on and with that Trump should suspend all laws for buying online medications from other companies outside the country as well something that should have happened long ago

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And Trump 'feels good about it'.... His hopes hunches and feelings are irresponsible. He also has said its 'under control' and 'will disappear'. Trump needs to try shutting up.
Please leave this on NPR..to keep the inmates confined

I'm not sure why you responded to me in that manner. I did not post the thread nor can I move it. I posted valid information from a highly qualified expert. Me. There was nothing political in it, but there certainly is in your response.

Of course the thread should be moved. Tell a moderator or admin.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yeah and there are 3 stages of trials required. IF that is a good vaccine and is given Fast track status, it will still be a year before it is available-more likely 15 months to 2 years.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah and there are 3 stages of trials required. IF that is a good vaccine and is given Fast track status, it will still be a year before it is available-more likely 15 months to 2 years.

That's very interesting and I have seen others presenting that information.

We had a pandemic that started in January 2009. The first Phase I human testing of a vaccine began in July 2009. (Again, the first human trial of vaccine for this current virus started this past Monday...mid-March.)

The vaccine was implemented in November of 2009. 3 billion doses in fact.

That pandemic lasted until August 2010, so the vaccine was available widely well before the end of the pandemic.

In addition, our capabilities and capacities to create, produce, and disseminate vaccines increase every year. That was eleven years ago.

This does not mean we definitively will have success, but we do have the very realistic potential to not only do it again, but to do it faster and better. At this point, it is the more likely scenario rather than the one you paint, which is possible but less likely now.

Something is wrong with what you think you understand or perhaps what you have heard or read somewhere.

I think it is unlikely intentional on your part, I do think you have been misinformed or have simply looked in the wrong places for information.

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's very interesting and I have seen others presenting that information.

We had a pandemic that started in January 2009. The first Phase I human testing of a vaccine began in July 2009. (Again, the first human trial of vaccine for this current virus started this past Monday...mid-March.)

The vaccine was implemented in November of 2009. 3 billion doses in fact.

That pandemic lasted until August 2010, so the vaccine was available widely well before the end of the pandemic.

In addition, our capabilities and capacities to create, produce, and disseminate vaccines increase every year. That was eleven years ago.

This does not mean we definitively will have success, but we do have the very realistic potential to not only do it again, but to do it faster and better. At this point, it is the more likely scenario rather than the one you paint, which is possible but less likely now.

Something is wrong with what you think you understand or perhaps what you have heard or read somewhere.

I think it is unlikely intentional on your part, I do think you have been misinformed or have simply looked in the wrong places for information.

I've been buying biotech stocks for 25 years plus and had to live through many trials for new drugs and they take well over a year. Perhaps flu vaccine trials are different as 'flu vaccines' themselves have already been determined to be safe. That's just my guess. DR Fauci in a press conference pretty much said what i did.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been buying biotech stocks for 25 years plus and had to live through many trials for new drugs and they take well over a year. Perhaps flu vaccine trials are different as 'flu vaccines' themselves have already been determined to be safe. That's just my guess. DR Fauci in a press conference pretty much said what i did.

Maybe you should stop buying "biotech" stocks for a bit, because the race is on to make $$$$. You should be well versed in Theranos being a "biotech" invstor, so here's their early efforts in patent trolling post-epidemic sales...

https://regmedia.co.uk/2020/03/18/theranos.pdf
also...
https://patents.google.com/patent/US10533994B2/en

In other news a man 3D printed a part to help combat low supply, now's he's being threatened with lawsuits. The part originally costs $11,000, his version that can be printed out directly by hospitals cost 11,000x less.... $1.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/16/firm...nt-coronavirus-equipment-save-lives-12403815/

The money race is on, first with a vaccine wins!!!

Any federal regulation approval process is out the window for _immediate_ pandemics, how is that not historically obvious? People don't depend on a federal approval process to have their lives saved during pandemics, they never have... ever (in fact, that defeats the entire purpose of the W.H.O., Doctors Without Borders, PeaceCorp., etc...).

Lastly, the presented information here with the vaccine for H1N1 is either FUD or yet more he-said-she-said. Tamiflu not only existed prior to H1N1 but was approved years before the 2009 outbreak. BTW, Tamiflu is _STILL_ recommended (along with something new to me called Zanamivir, which is apparently better).... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_A_virus_subtype_H1N1 Spreading gossip about COVID-19 is 1 thing, but you can't do that with H1N1, too many of us have read too much about it (it's been 10 years!!).

Oh, the the fatality rate is now at a all time low for COVID-19 in the USA.
Total cases: 15,219
Total deaths: 201

201/15219 = .013...

So if your 65 or older and have contracted it, you have at worst a 98.7% chance to live.

Last edited: