Pechauer break or black ice?

Bluejuice

Registered
So I'm pretty much set on getting a break cue from pechauer. Leaning more towards the black ice cos it looks slick af, but just wanted to ask anyone who has tried both if there was any significant difference between the maple one and the black ice. There's a pretty good big price difference between the two and was wondering if it's worth it.

As far as I know both are forward weighted and I'd assume that'd make the balance point roughly the same?

Was also wondering if in the event that I do get either one, should I swap out the default pech gold break tip? I've been breaking with a kamui hard and it's been working pretty alright for me. Not a big fan of g10 or phenolic. Is the default tip anything like a samsara or is it just straight up rock hard?

I'd appreciate any help and any form of discussion is welcome, thanks in advance guys.

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I picked up a used Black Ice shaft in radial pin that I use on one of my butts. I really like it and sold off my bk3. That shaft makes for a great break.

Mine has a Samsara or similar tip, which I also prefer over phenolic. Since this wasn't new, I don't know if this was stock.

I am glad I picked up this shaft. A full cue should be great.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I'm pretty much set on getting a break cue from pechauer. Leaning more towards the black ice cos it looks slick af, but just wanted to ask anyone who has tried both if there was any significant difference between the maple one and the black ice. There's a pretty good big price difference between the two and was wondering if it's worth it.

As far as I know both are forward weighted and I'd assume that'd make the balance point roughly the same?

Was also wondering if in the event that I do get either one, should I swap out the default pech gold break tip? I've been breaking with a kamui hard and it's been working pretty alright for me. Not a big fan of g10 or phenolic. Is the default tip anything like a samsara or is it just straight up rock hard?

I'd appreciate any help and any form of discussion is welcome, thanks in advance guys.
Good timing! I was wondering the exact thing last week. I called Pechauer direct and talked to Scott, I think, and I ended up getting the Black Ice shaft to use on one of my Pechauer butts. The shaft is heavier than standard so I ended up taking a weight bolt out of the handle and it gave me a little more speed. I have a Samsara break tip on an old break cue and the Pechauer Gold tip is just fine by comparison. It plays great and if I don't get a ball on the break I no longer wonder about the cue I'm using.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Black Ice

I was in the process of converting my JP Pechauer into a break cue. I upped the weight to 21oz and was going to switch the tip to a break tip.
After some research and experimentation, I decided to scrap that idea and ordered the Black Ice to go with the butt.
Well my wait is over and it was just delivered today. Of course I couldn't wait to try it out, so off I went.
I love the feel of it, especially after I removed the extra weight I had added to the butt.

It feels like a more solid hit than anything I had tried before with my limited experience and I am scattering the balls better than I did before.
I let a guy I was playing with give it a try since he is a much more experienced player and I wanted an opinion not biased by my excitement with a new toy.
He said he used to have a BK Rush but was unsatisfied with it and eventually sold it. He said he was really impressed with the Black Ice
and felt it had a real great feel and hit compared to his old break cue.

I highly recommend this break shaft. It looks great and breaks great. Here's some pics...

UPDATE: After having a few more days to break more racks I can definitely say I am very happy with my decision to get this shaft. I find it very comfortable with a solid hit and I don't have to try so hard to scatter the balls anymore.

0CA5F91B-B942-40E8-98C7-F3C065251C2B.jpeg

7B2E5F8C-60DE-4AAE-B806-B0DC0055630C.jpeg

IMG_7525.JPEG

Last edited:

Logandgriff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I love Pechauer cues. I bought a Black Ice shaft to put on a McDermott GS butt. The Black Ice shaft seems very solid and blasts the rack well but I have trouble hitting the cue ball squarely at times and this results in a bad break. I think when I don't hit the cue ball squarely the efficiency of the Black Ice shaft magnifies the problem. My regular Pechauer break cue works better for me over all. On a second ball full rack break, I almost always get a ball to drop. So I have put the Black Ice aside for a while, but I'm pretty sure that the difficulty I am having with the Black Ice is a me problem not a Black Ice problem. I'm going to keep working with the Black Ice because when I hit it square it is awesome. Stay tuned.

Logandgriff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I love Pechauer cues. I bought a Black Ice shaft to put on a McDermott GS butt. The Black Ice shaft seems very solid and blasts the rack well but I have trouble hitting the cue ball squarely at times and this results in a bad break. I think when I don't hit the cue ball squarely the efficiency of the Black Ice shaft magnifies the problem. My regular Pechauer break cue works better for me over all. On a second ball full rack break, I almost always get a ball to drop. So I have put the Black Ice aside for a while, but I'm pretty sure that the difficulty I am having with the Black Ice is a me problem not a Black Ice problem. I'm going to keep working with the Black Ice because when I hit it square it is awesome. Stay tuned.
Update - - I've gotten used to the Black Ice and am using it as my regular break cue. As others have mentioned, it breaks open the balls very well. Still hard to use much english on the break but a little is ok for me.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Update - - I've gotten used to the Black Ice and am using it as my regular break cue. As others have mentioned, it breaks open the balls very well. Still hard to use much english on the break but a little is ok for me.
Glad to hear you stuck with it and it works for you. Now I have a few on my team that always ask if they can use it. One guy likes to ask all clandestine like, "hey, did you bring the grey ghost?"

I do agree you have to be careful with the English because of the hard tip. You need to rough up the tip a bit so it will hold the chalk long enough to get to the cue ball.