CHALK TEST - Masters vs Exceed vs Predator vs Russian Magic vs Mezz Smart

edwu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice video. You've probably seen my set of chalk test videos here:

chalk comparison tests and results

I recommend using some of my testing procedures in any future tests you do. That way our results could be directly comparable, and I would be able to add you videos and results to the resource page.

In my experience, the "number of shots before a miscue" results can be very variable. I have done many tests over many years, using the exact same procedure each time, and I have gotten very different results (all of which can be found on my resource page if you read watch all the videos and read all the "updated results" posts). I'm not sure what the main causes are, but I think the following are contributing factors:
- consistency of the tip contact point on the CB
- consistency of the cue orientation and contact point on the tip
- the type of tip being used
- the condition of the tip surface (even if it is scuffed, shaped, and tapped, this can vary)
- how much chalk is applied
- the condition of the chalk and its exposed surface before chalking
- etc
Obviously, a rigorous test would attempt to control and test for as many individual variables as possible, but such careful testing would require a huge effort and ginormous amount of time.

I have carefully designed my testing procedures to be as simple and reliable as possible. Please consider using them in the future.

Thanks,
Dave

PS: Keep up the good work with your Channel.

Hello Dr. Dave (OG),

I have been a viewer (and fan) of your channel since 2008. I love your scientific approach to the game. Thank you for the explanation about factors that can cause inconsistencies. I will try my best to implement your testing procedures for my future chalk videos.

Thanks for all you do,

The Billiard Corner

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I haven’t seen Triangle chalk. Did I miss it? Not sure about currently but it used to be the standard for snooker. All the matches I have seen on YouTube Triangle was in the waistcoat pocket.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've used the same 2 or 3 pieces for two years at less than a dollar each?

You must not play much lol but I just like the way it goes on. I just feel the tip grabs better when I use kamui so it’s worth the $1 a month cost lol if you like masters that’s cool.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been using Blue Diamond chalk for quite awhile and have no complaints.
I did spend a whole session using just masters chalk and again no problem.
I played at a friends house and he had silver cup chalk that matched his cloth and again no problem.
All with solid tips.
The problems started when I got my new Schmelke cue that came with a miserable Ultra-skin tip.
No matter what chalk i used i would get a mis cue here and there.
And my stroke is pretty consistent and I hardly ever mis cue.
I'm going to replace a practically new tip with a Triangle.

And when my Blue Diamond chalks wear out it's back to masters.
Masters and solid tips are it for me.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exceed Mezz chalk is similar bad contact producing chalk scheisse then Kamui. One just start getting really strong clings.
One of our club players did get that chalk and it is unplayable to try snooker(where bad contacts combined smaller balls and greater distances will cause a lot of misses) with that chalk. Almost every shot have "cling" or at least heavy contact. Garbage IMO.

He noticed now that too and uses Taom if we want to play snooker with us..If not Taom then regular Triangle or Master is okay..

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ronnie O Sullivan was asked what chalk he was using, said he didn’t know. Reached into his vest pocket and it was ‘Triangle’

I have a box of 144 Masters Cubes I bought for a couple of bucks a few years back. Work fine and my Snooker table is immaculate. I always take chalk with me when playing away from home...fussy about hygiene...back into my pocket. I usually leave it when finished for the evening.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just correctly apply chalk to your cue’s tip after every shot.

If you do, every single brand chalk does the exact same thing.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Even less

Just correctly apply chalk to your cue’s tip after every shot.

If you do, every single brand chalk does the exact same thing.

When using less than a tip of spin it is very unlikely to miscue. I use Master and chalk at the beginning of a game and before using extreme spin. Miscues are very rare and since chalk has grit in it, the less chalk I get in the cloth the longer it lasts. Of course I wouldn't want to be wasteful with my sixteen cent a cube Master chalk either! I want my children to inherit what is left of the gross I bought years ago.:thumbup:

Hu

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ronnie O Sullivan was asked what chalk he was using, said he didn’t know. Reached into his vest pocket and it was ‘Triangle’

I have a box of 144 Masters Cubes I bought for a couple of bucks a few years back. Work fine and my Snooker table is immaculate. I always take chalk with me when playing away from home...fussy about hygiene...back into my pocket. I usually leave it when finished for the evening.

Lol that always cracks me up when people make comparisons to great players . Do you play like Ronnie o? Do you play half his speed? Noooooo of course not. He’s amazingly gifted lol I don’t care what chalk he uses.. what does his game have to do with mine?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol that always cracks me up when people make comparisons to great players . Do you play like Ronnie o? Do you play half his speed? Noooooo of course not. He’s amazingly gifted lol I don’t care what chalk he uses.. what does his game have to do with mine?
He's not comparing his game to RO. What he IS saying that what kind of chalk one uses doesn't mean s&*t as long as you use it properly. Hi-dollar chalk, imo, is like 30hdcp. golfers buying $50/dzn ProV1 golf balls. A good player could use that cheapass 10cent chalk from China and still BAR-B-Q 99.9% of the people on this forum. Snake oil in a cube.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's not comparing his game to RO. What he IS saying that what kind of chalk one uses doesn't mean s&*t as long as you use it properly. Hi-dollar chalk, imo, is like 30hdcp. golfers buying $50/dzn ProV1 golf balls. A good player could use that cheapass 10cent chalk from China and still BAR-B-Q 99.9% of the people on this forum. Snake oil in a cube.

Good comparison.
When I used to play golf I always bought the cheapest generic balls or recycled ones.
Same with drivers.
I could drive the ball 275 yards with a $50 club and playing partners with $400 clubs couldn't.
I'm all done with paying $5 or so a cube for chalk..

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good comparison.
When I used to play golf I always bought the cheapest generic balls or recycled ones.
Same with drivers.
I could drive the ball 275 yards with a $50 club and playing partners with $400 clubs couldn't.
I'm all done with paying $5 or so a cube for chalk..
I've been digging out of the same brick of Master chalk since I was 18 years old.
The pre-flag chalk really has a nice grit.
1 piece lasts me about 6 months with average daily play. I never drill the cube.
Just brush it over any glazed portion I see.
With the pandemic at hand and no table time, the chalk will last even longer now!
I have yet to try the Russian magic chalk. I was just about to place an order when pool halls were all closed.
I will say predator is nice for medium to soft layered tips, but it doesn't scuff the surface as well for harder tips.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FYI for those interested, I received and tried out my exceed X chalk for the first time last night. I very much liked the way the chalk sticks to the tip of my cue. It is a very light color blue, much like the Kamui and Taom chalk color. It is certainly not nearly as clean as magic chalk or Taom chalk as far as not showing chalk / tip marks on the cloth and chalk marks on the cue ball. I’ve not used it enough yet to be able to make a fair comparison.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been digging out of the same brick of Master chalk since I was 18 years old.
The pre-flag chalk really has a nice grit.
1 piece lasts me about 6 months with average daily play. I never drill the cube.
Just brush it over any glazed portion I see.
With the pandemic at hand and no table time, the chalk will last even longer now!
I have yet to try the Russian magic chalk. I was just about to place an order when pool halls were all closed.
I will say predator is nice for medium to soft layered tips, but it doesn't scuff the surface as well for harder tips.
My 'hall provides good FREE Master. The only stuff i pay for now is Blue Diamond. Tried Magic and its good but i like BD better.

edwu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FYI for those interested, I received and tried out my exceed X chalk for the first time last night. I very much liked the way the chalk sticks to the tip of my cue. It is a very light color blue, much like the Kamui and Taom chalk color. It is certainly not nearly as clean as magic chalk or Taom chalk as far as not showing chalk / tip marks on the cloth and chalk marks on the cue ball. I’ve not used it enough yet to be able to make a fair comparison.

Interesting, I found the Exceed to be cleaner than magic chalk. Do you have old stock magic chalk or the newer ones?