Help! I need a new cue

Nature Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am returning to the game after a long layoff and I need a new cue. There seems to be so many that I really have no idea where to start.

I have a Schon that must be at least 10-15 years old and I love it. The only problem is it belonged to an old friend/mentor and I just want to put it up.

I have always liked the solid hit of a Schon. I like a fairly heavy cue with a solid tip. I don't care what it looks like as long as it plays solid.

Any help would be appreciated.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nature Boy...You do not need a new cue. If you WANT a new cue, that is different...but you do not NEED a new cue. It's doubtful that you will find a cue that plays as well as your Schon without spending at least several hundred dollars. If you like your Schon, why not keep playing with it. Otherwise, you should probably look at other Schon cues on the For Sale forum.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I am returning to the game after a long layoff and I need a new cue. There seems to be so many that I really have no idea where to start.

I have a Schon that must be at least 10-15 years old and I love it. The only problem is it belonged to an old friend/mentor and I just want to put it up.

I have always liked the solid hit of a Schon. I like a fairly heavy cue with a solid tip. I don't care what it looks like as long as it plays solid.

Nature Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nature Boy...You do not need a new cue. If you WANT a new cue, that is different...but you do not NEED a new cue. It's doubtful that you will find a cue that plays as well as your Schon without spending at least several hundred dollars. If you like your Schon, why not keep playing with it. Otherwise, you should probably look at other Schon cues on the For Sale forum.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Yes, I want a new cue. I love how the cue I currently use plays, but I want to put it up for sentimental reasons.

I have seen some nice Schons here already, but there seems to be an opinion that the new ones aren't nearly as good as the old.

As far as budget, I am fairly flexible, although I am much more about how a cue plays over looks.

Thanks again, guys!

jdxprs

Banned
I have a very nice, lightly used, viking for sale in the for sale forum. plays great! 11mm shaft. :smile:

wakuljr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, I would recommend a pechauer. Great cue for the price. Can change colors, joints just about anything. Great company behind the cue also. Call John and tell him John from las Vegas sent ya

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you like the hit of the older Schon you have, I would recommend looking for another R series Schon.

The R series are the best of the Schon (IMO). You will not lose money on them, and I like sharp points.

The newer showns are just your typical CNC production cue.

Ken

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
of course I'd recommend the Jacoby I have for sale, but my real reason for posting is to say:

LOVE the Ben Hogan avatar!!!! :grin::cool:

danquixote

DanQuixote
Silver Member
I have owned 2 of the older model Schons...I fell in love with the way they hit and never found or played with any cue I thought was better. 15 years and 2 marriages later I was in a position to aquire a good playing cue once again. I tried a number of different cues by various makers....including a couple of new Schons.....Yep.....for me at least....that same ...sweet....hit was still there. I'm not a collector...nor do I use a jewlers loupe to examine the detail on a cue....I am quite happy with the quality and attention to detail that went into the construction of my NEW Schon. Also....I have received many compliments on its' beauty.
I did upgrade to the purchase of 2 OB-2 shafts which I also highly recommend.....and am pleased as I could possibly be with my purchases.
Hope this was of some help to you....and no....I don't work for Schon cues...LOL

Attachments

• schonltd1309a.jpg
    schonltd1309a.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 433

mamono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you like the old school Schon cues and want something new, I would recommend getting a Runde since he made the majority of the R-series Schon cues. Knowing your budget would help with suggestions. If you really like that solid hit, but want a cue by a different maker, then we really need to know what your budget is before making recommendations because the price ranges are all over the spectrum.

calboy8686

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on your budget.... do you want something fancy, something cheap and good to start out with, something with a resale value to it?

Fancy - Starts at about 1K and goes up really fast

Cheap and good - Chris Nitti sneaky pete, Mike Stacey sneaky pete (both have solid hits and will set you back about $500 or so.

Something with a resale value - Nitti, Stacey, Scruggs, Ginacue (one of the best but the prices climb really fast - advantage is that you can sell it for more than you paid very easy), Southwest, or Josswest, or TAD.

All of those are very solid hitting cues. It really depends on your budget, and if you think your going to continue playing for a long time. I'm also coming back after a long time away, but also started talking to people about the different makers and doing alot of reading on different websites to see what designs I like and what can i get in a certain price range. What's practical, what would I feel comfortable bringing into a pool hall and leaving unatended for a few min while I go to the bathroom or for a smoke. A cue is not only a tool, it's also to a degree, an investment. Good cues are not cheap, and in this world..... you get what you pay for.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

NUFF SAID....:wink:

troyboy30

Fish
Silver Member
I have owned 2 of the older model Schons...I fell in love with the way they hit and never found or played with any cue I thought was better. 15 years and 2 marriages later I was in a position to aquire a good playing cue once again. I tried a number of different cues by various makers....including a couple of new Schons.....Yep.....for me at least....that same ...sweet....hit was still there. I'm not a collector...nor do I use a jewlers loupe to examine the detail on a cue....I am quite happy with the quality and attention to detail that went into the construction of my NEW Schon. Also....I have received many compliments on its' beauty.
I did upgrade to the purchase of 2 OB-2 shafts which I also highly recommend.....and am pleased as I could possibly be with my purchases.
Hope this was of some help to you....and no....I don't work for Schon cues...LOL

beautiful! I just picked up a LTD1315 and LTD1403

To to OP, I have a great playing custom Chris Byrne in the for sale section if interested

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=166848

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I have a R5 Schon. It was my first cue. Apparently you like the feel of a 5/16 piloted SS joint.

As another poster suggested a Runde is a great cue and probably the maker of your current Schon.

Jensen makes a fine SS joint and his cues are reasonable and there are occassionaly some good bargains in the For Sale Section.

Richard Black and Scruggs also make desirable SS jointed cues. Those cues will hold or go up in value. You can occassionally find one under $2000. There was recently a SS Gina for under $2000, a cue that will also go up in value and give many years of satisfaction.

Any SS cue by a top maker will play as good or "better".

The other option. Keep looking for a R series or try a new Schon. I am sure you can find someone in your area with one as they are popular.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Here are 2 nice cues being sold.

Josh West, top notch. Fantasic shaft wood. I am not sure but it may be a full splice cue. The points look razor sharp. When I bought my Schon in 1985 the dealer told me that it was similar to the JW but 1/4 the cost.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=167362

Bill McDaniels. Very fancy and a good price. Tony is a great guy to deal with. A lot of cue for the money.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=165104

Either should make you happy and would be better than buying a new Schon.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you like the hit of Schon and don't care what it looks like, please PM me w/your email. I have a Sabastian butt (local Denver cuemaker, retired) w/a Schon shaft that SVB played with & won a 2 day tournament in CO about 3-4 years ago. It plays great, but I do not use it.

Dave

IbeAnEngineer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are wanting to retire your old Schon due to sentimental reasons, I would go buy another Schon if you are looking for a similar hit. If you do not want to spend the money for a Schon. I would seriously look at buying a JOSS with a steel joint and is a lot of cue for the money.

I have and play with an old R1 and I also own a newer LTD model. Based on my 2 cues the only difference I can tell is that the R1 gives me more feedback and seems to hit a bit "harder/firm". However, while noticable, it is not a huge difference. In fact I have a couple of friends that prefer the hit of the LTD over the R1.

Nature Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
of course I'd recommend the Jacoby I have for sale, but my real reason for posting is to say:

LOVE the Ben Hogan avatar!!!! :grin::cool:

Well. Must I say that I hate your avatar. If you are the old "Rusty" avatar, that is. A friend of mine had one, and he used to beat the brakes off me with it! It didn't have the notch in it that yours does, but he was deadly with it! It cost me plenty of money over the years!! GREAT MEMORIES!:frown::frown: