Stiffest shafts on the market?

paws

Registered
Hi,

I'm looking for a new shaft for my cue (5/16x14 pin) and I don't like how soft most pool shafts are. I tried a Mezz Hybrid Pro II for example, and it's clearly not stiff enough for my taste.

So if I want to buy a shaft only, what would be the best options (preferably with a parabolical or european taper)?

jingle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You might like an OB Classic Pro. I like a similar feel and I bought one to try, and so far so good. It has a much stiffer feel than any other LD shafts I've tried before.

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hard Birds eye maple shafts are tops for Low deflection ,and stiffness imo.......:yes:

Last edited:

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Get someone to build you a custom built ash shaft, that will be stiffer then any maple shaft out there more then likely.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
I agree, get a custom cue makers that is willing to make you one. Have a straight taper put on it and keep the tip diameter at 13 mm or over. That should do it.

I don't think I would like it but it sounds like want you would want.

paws

Registered
Get someone to build you a custom built ash shaft, that will be stiffer then any maple shaft out there more then likely.

It's my impression that the taper has a bigger impact on the shaft stiffness than the kind of wood used. Ash wood is only slightly harder than maple, but my parabolic tapered snooker cue feels rock solid compared to pool cues.

mr8ball

I know its a few weeks away but if you are going to the Supper Billiards Expo you can try a few shafts there. I like the Jacoby Hybird shaft myself. Everyone has there likes and dislikes so I really suggest you try a few to see what works for you. It will save you a lot of money. Best of luck

bhale

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had Joss make me a 14mm Euro taper shaft because i wanted it to be very stiff. Works great for me and the additional diameter moved the balance point almost 1" further forward.

Happy Camper!

Brian :)

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've seen Purpleheart shafts that were very stiff. It's seems to me, all of the laminated shafts are very stiff as well.

DrOnePocket

Banned
I have owned or played with about everything and have never had a shaft stiffer than what was on my sugartree. It was so stiff in fact everyone hated it. lol

wambamcam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Timeless Timber shaft from Keith Josey is by far the stiffest shaft I've ever used. Be prepared to spend some dough for it however, but it's the best shaft I've ever used, including Predator, OB, and other custom maple shafts.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
shafts by Dmitry Komarov made of hornbeam give a pretty stiff hit. He posts as DBK here. So you could send him a pm

edd

Trance Doc
Silver Member
My Timeless Timber shaft from Keith Josey is by far the stiffest shaft I've ever used. Be prepared to spend some dough for it however, but it's the best shaft I've ever used, including Predator, OB, and other custom maple shafts.

Ditto on the TT shaft. I have one as well. Couldn't go wrong with something from Mike Gulyassy either.