Practice Pro Pocket Reducers... Review...

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I received a set of Pocket Reducers for XMAS. Figured I would throw a review out there for anyone that may be interested.

Package included 6 pocket reducers and a small storage bag for them.

Keep in mind that there were setup on my table. Naturally the tightness of these will vary from table to table depending on how tight the pockets are prior to putting these in. They took maybe 5 minutes at the most to properly install and test out.

Installing them is relatively easy. I recommend taking a few balls around the table with you as you do it though to make sure as you are installing them the a ball will still travel along the rail and go into the pocket, in case you need to make any adjustments.

I have a generic 8 foot slate table and my pockets already had 1 shim in them. The Reducers took the pocket size down to a little under a ball and a half width when shooting straight at the pocket. If you are running a ball up the rail, there is barely enough room for the ball to pass through, but if installed correctly, it will still go in when struck perfectly though.

One of the things I noticed when using these, is the amount of shots that would normally go in that don't. I would say that if the reducers were not in, my ball making would have went up from normal on particular shots. You really do have to strike balls perfect to make them with the reducers in. They seem to help big time with your focus and getting you to play smart if you are also trying to play position on the next ball. They force you to make object ball and play the easiest position possible as you now have no room for error at all.

One of the negative things about these is that the top portion of them can obstruct you when down on shots, you may have to bridge over one or make a decision about removing one thats in the way, or possibly changing the shot. Naturally, without a positive mindset going into practice with these installed, the game can be more frustrating then normal :), especially when they are also getting in your way. for this one reason I do not recommend actually playing racks with these (ie breaking and trying to run out.). You can, and I have and still do, but it can be a frustrating experience and taking them out and putting them back in when they are in your way can be kind of a pain in the ass.

One of my normal practice routines prior to using these is remembering missed shots (particularly shots that I should make that I didnt, not the real difficult ones, but ones I feel I should be making at my level) and shooting them 100 times in groups of 10. I would take out 10 balls. Set the shot up. If it goes in the ball stays down. If I miss, the ball stays up. Record results of made/missed balls, move on to the next group of 10. After shooting 10 groups of 10 balls (100 shots) I will have a semi accurate percentage on how often I make that shot and I can see if I improved in making that shot over the course of shooting it 100 times. For me and this type of practice alone, I found the Reducers to be worth every penny. Imagine dogging a ball in a tournament then you know you can make, then working on that shot on pockets that are almost half the size of the pockets you originally missed it on. In my opinion, that's extremely beneficial.

One thing to note, missed balls will react much differently then normal, since the walls of the pocket no longer exist when they are installed and the material is harder. Missed balls will not rattle, they will sort of bounce of the points of the reducer with a thud like a dead rail. Just something to keep in mind.

All in all, I recommend these to anyone wanting to help with ball making, help with focus, Challenge yourself, or just try something different.

Pros
-Helps with ball making
-Helps with focus
-Forces you to play the easiest position route so you make the object ball.
-Forces you to play accurate position so you have the best possible chance at making the next ball.

Cons
-Reducers can get in the way of certain shots. Be careful when bridging over one. Could damage your shaft/cue.
-Sometimes they pop out, not often enough to warrant it a pain in the ass, but I have had it happen a couple times.
-Balls react differently when missed and bouncing off the reducer.

If anyone else has a set of these, please let me/us know what you think and how you find them beneficial and and practice routines you might use for them.

http://www.muellers.com/Practice-Pro-Pocket-Reducers,2321.html

Edit - this review is based on my table and speed I play the game and what I find beneficial. This will probably differ from player to player and table to table.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got them and have used them on 2 tables.

IMO, on pockets <+5", they are unusable. Makes the pocket too small for anything but balls shot from the middle areas of the table.

There was a thread on here about cutting/ modifying them and, though i didnt try it myself, it really looked lik a major improvement.

I would like to play with my opponent using them, as a spot though. I think I might play anyone in the world like that...they toughen stuff up that much.

jingle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good review, I have similar experience with them. They are humbling for sure...but after you have been using them for awhile then take them out, the pockets look huge! (at least until you miss a couple shots) They also make you work on only hitting the shot as hard as necessary, which usually improves my game.

J-Flo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking about it

Not sure if it would help me at this point in my game. The routs I take repuire me to cheat the pocket, force follow and banking balls in off of the point of the pocket. I do a practice routine where I shoot streight in shots from deep in the corner pocket to a ball about 2 ft from the opposit corrner and this would make me be more accurate for a long streight in shot (Bert Kinisters "Mighty X"). I still might look for a used set.

Thanks for the review.

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used them when I used to have an 8' table in my condo. I can't remember exactly, but I recall turning them upside down - then they don't get in your way!

One other possible downside - it is possible that your stroke, if it is free wheeling, can suffer by trying to be so accurate.

Aten

m8
Silver Member
where I shoot streight in shots from deep in the corner pocket to a ball about 2 ft from the opposit corrner and this would make me be more accurate for a long streight in shot (Bert Kinisters "Mighty X").

Draw the cue ball back into the corner pocket that you shot from

filluptieu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well alot of tables have different pocket angles. and for instance if yours is similar to an olhausen, then once you add these reducers its nearly impossible to make a shot.

The best way to sold this is to just have someone professionally shim the pockets.

Personally, when I bought this item 2 years ago it sucked. I only used it once and set it to the side.

D_Lewis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dont know if you covered this, if you hit a ball with a good pace, very firm, do they(reducers) ever pop out?

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
Dont know if you covered this, if you hit a ball with a good pace, very firm, do they(reducers) ever pop out?

Ive never had them pop out due to a ball hitting them as long as they were put in correctly. I have had them move slightly, like if you blast a ball at them and it hits one of the rubber sides it pushes it in a little more.

I have had them pop out at random though, I assume because I didnt put them in right.

Scares the hell out of you because your not expecting it LOL.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
Well alot of tables have different pocket angles. and for instance if yours is similar to an olhausen, then once you add these reducers its nearly impossible to make a shot.

The best way to sold this is to just have someone professionally shim the pockets.

Personally, when I bought this item 2 years ago it sucked. I only used it once and set it to the side.

Ah, I guess it depends on the table then. I have used them on GCIIIs and have had no problems.

I can only imagine on tighter shimmed tables it would make it impossible to make a ball.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ive never had them pop out due to a ball hitting them as long as they were put in correctly. I have had them move slightly, like if you blast a ball at them and it hits one of the rubber sides it pushes it in a little more.

I have had them pop out at random though, I assume because I didnt put them in right.

Scares the hell out of you because your not expecting it LOL.

Wait till they hit you night in the ruts!

j13smiley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had a set for a couple years now... I have a valley table and they fit fine. I usually only use them on the corner pockets though. I like them as a training tool.

I've never had one pop out before..

8up

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by filluptieu View Post
Well ...
I bought this item 2 years ago it sucked. I only used it once and set it to the side.

Same here...

I would gladly pay for shipping if either of you want to help a guy out