break cues?

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Last night at league playing 8 ball on 7 foot diamonds i tried moving my rear hand a couple inches closer to the joint.
I made a ball or two on every break.
Now was it just one of those nights or did this adjustment really help?
Time will tell.
Was using a magic rack.I'm convinced you get a better break with this rack.
I scored a 45 out of the maximum 50.

next time you see Busty, tell him thx.

but don't get into a money game with him. :thumbup:

Skratch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cure for Dry Breaks Blues

Hey Fellow AZBs,

Any idea how I can keep from getting a dry break? I normally get a nice spread (many times, more than half the balls down table, with little to no clutter) but I cant seem to get a ball down. I used to break from the sides, and I can keep my ball relatively at the middle of the table. This would sometime either put a ball down, but leave me clusters, and many times I'd scratch. I've since migrated to a centerline break, but again, no balls down. Suggestions?

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Break cues

This is what I said: "
This is of course just for me and I'm sure is directly related to my breaking technique. "

So once again...ehem...FOR ME a heavy break cue is the nuts.
No comparison.... FOR ME.

At a relatively small arm speed the rack completely explodes.
No less -better if anything - than the 17 oz guys who leave half of their body on the pool table and kick a walker-by in the nuts with their heels and their cue almost goes flying through the window.
I swing and the rack fast but not crazy and it completely explodes and spreads all over.

Look at Shane's breaks, not bad uh?
23 oz cue.
Look at Rodney's breaks, not bad either.
21 oz cue, looking for a heavier one.

Bottom line: it's all up to the individual.
Why: because physics work perfectly in a lab but no physics formula can calculate
how YOU prefer to break.

I posted what predator cues opinion or research shown........
I have tried heavy break cues, they seemed to work ok.

I have made a few break shafts and jump cues for customers.
My customer's seem to like what I make for them regardless of the weight.
One person wants a heavy cue next wants a light cue.

I honestly haven't checked how many feet per second the cue ball is going using different break cues .

As for cue weight vs cue ball speed without doing tests , I don't know and would have to trust someone else's research, which in most part I am .
My research was what predator cues have come up with and if Efren is afraid of Francisco Bustamante break then I thought his breaking technic was worth researching .

I think Francisco Bustamante breaks with a 17.5 break cue.
My research was also done where predator and Francisco Bustamante where pretty much saying the same thing.
Which pretty much says I thought a lighter break is the way to go before any of my research ever started .
Bias opinion from the beginning ....................................

If you think about tennis or golf and changing the weight of the club or racket at a certain point the cue will be to heavy to swing to achieve maximum cue ball speeds.

I know the same physic's apply to the cue being to light in weight too.

Last factor is how accurately one can hit the rack ....... regardless of cue weight and speed of cue ball..

It seems it really comes down to personal opinion .
I guess that is why when someone orders in a cue at a exact weight I make them that cue at that weight............ regardless of what my personal opinion is ..

jeremy8000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree it's definitely a 'what works best for you' thing when it comes to break cue weight - and tip. Just don't knock a style out of consideration before trying it.

Personally, I currently use an Alex Brick JB right at 20 oz which I love, but having worked with others heavier and lighter would prefer to drop a couple of ounces if it were possible. Had replaced the original White Diamond tip (best energy transfer, too little control for my skill) with a Samsara (bit less power, but great control), and now with a Hammerhead (same power as the WD and almost the control of the Samsara).

I also have a G10 Assault break cue by Dominic Esposito which weighs in at 13.7oz which is ridiculously light - and unbelievably effective. An extremely light cue, it took me a while to adapt my break stroke, but I haven't used any other break cue for even close to the same money that breaks as well. It's not quite as good as the AB, but not far off, and far less expensive (and more readily available these days).