How about some positive stories about Cuemakers

brilliance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

I think that Josey is unbeatable !!!

Him and his wife really care about customer and deliver perfect products ALL THE TIME!

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Some years back I asked Murray Tucker III to build me a full splice cue. I wanted one before I turned 60. He wasn't building at that time but promised to let me pick one next time he put some splices together.

Sure enough, a couple years later he sends me a picture of a batch of new blanks. I picked one and provided a few details of what I want (a Tucker as he would normally build it).

Fast forward a year or two and he lets me know the cue is done :thumbup: nicely before my 60th birthday :dance: The cue has one of the best finishes I've seen, wonderful balance and plays great.

Thanks Murray !

Dave <-- was playing with the Tucker just a few weeks ago :)

Last edited:

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
I wanted a Blackcreek sneaky and approached Travis about getting one. He said he normally builds them for shows, but had a few splices in stock and would consider finishing one of those for me. He had a bubinga into maple blank which suited me fine. He said about 6 months until it was done and sure enough, almost exactly 6 months later I had the cue. It's fit and finish were (are) spectacular, as was it's "hit".

Thanks Travis !

Dave

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some years back I asked Murray Tucker III to build me a full splice cue. I wanted one before I turned 60. He wasn't building at that time but promised to let me pick one next time he put some splices together.

Sure enough, a couple years later he sends me a picture of a batch of new blanks. I picked one and provided a few details of what I want (a Tucker as he would normally build it).

Fast forward a year or two and he lets me know the cue is done :thumbup: nicely before my 60th birthday :dance: The cue has one of the best finishes I've seen, wonderful balance and plays great.

Thanks Murray !

Dave <-- was playing with the Tucker just a few weeks ago :)

OMG, how could I forget Murray?!

Murray has done some exquisite maintenance work for me on my Gina shafts. Last year I made the mistake of having a guy at the DCC replace a chipped ivory ferrule. Big mistake. In any case, Murray volunteered to take care of me, so I took the opportunity to send him four Gina shafts for retappering, sealing, and new tips, as well as a new ferrule to replace the bad one.

In no time at all they came back perfect.

Thanks again, Murray -- you da man.

Lou Figueroa

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess I have been lucky but I have had several exceptional experiences:

Pete Tascarella: Pete is a very genuine guy. He beat his estimate by about 12 months on build time (bit of a financial shock) He was willing to do some things he normally does not do with a cue, made it with a much thinner butt taper, and chose woods that would make it very light. What I got was a traditional cue with SS joint that weighs 17.8 oz and hits as good as any cue I have ever played with. Workmanship is not flawless it is one step above that into sublime. Points perfect, finish perfect. Wrap perfect. He wants you to do the design but steers you to the right decision. Cue is so good I have not even considered moving away from it. Will never sell.

Josh Treadway: Josh has made me 2 cues and working on a 3rd one. He is responsive, kind and incredibly detailed. Super easy to work wth. Exceptional quality. Currently working on a cue that will have several unique features and be unlike any cue ever made in some respects.

Alan Phelps: Maybe not as well known but he was exceptional to work with. Made a merry widow but put so much effort and work into it that it was amazing. Not a quick build but he sent regular updates and pictures. Workmanship is perfect. Cue was the best hitting cue I have ever had until I got the custom Tasc. Will never sell.

And last but definitely not least I wanted to mention one cuemaker who was roasted in one of the threads but has only done exceptional work for me and been super easy to deal with

Dan Janes: Over time I have gotten three custom cues from Dan. All were excellent. The last one, two years ago was exceptional. Dan had gotten in a shipment of exceptional cocobolo. I asked him to use that in a custom cue. He asked me for a budget and technical specs like length, weight shaft thickness, etc... Design was up to him. 4 months later to the exact day he estimated I had a truly special cue from Dan with super pointy even points, exceptionally beautiful wood and great veneers. It is signed and has my name on it. A long time before my first Joss (a very simple no veneer 4 pointer) was stolen. Although he never said it I think the cue he made was sort of a fancy tribute to that cue which made it more special. Will never sell.

For inexpensive customs cannot go wrong with Schmelke or Dominiak. I once bought a custom Schmelke for a APA team mate that watched my dog. She got an exceptional very green cue and it was less expensive thanmy normal god sitter.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have got to know Rick Howard and over the years bought several cues from him and he would also make shafts, refinish cues etc.

I asked him to build a cue for me, ebony on ebony, with blue black blue veneers. Ivory joint, etc...

Anyway Rick met me at the DCC and gave me my new cue and I paid him. We went down to sweat some matches and gambling. Finally someone came up and wanted Rick to gamble with him....

He looks over at me and says, "Let me use your cue, I didn't bring any to play with". Again, I hadn't even hit a ball with this new cue, but I hand it Rick and he goes down and wins some off the guy that wanted to gamble some.

Rick come back after a few hours and hands me my cue, and says, "Wow, that cue plays great....I should have charged you more." We both started cracking up.

I always start laughing to myself whenever I think about this time with Rick. Heads up for those who don't know, I would put Rick as one of the best playing cuemakers out there.

Ken

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well this thread made my point, I was hoping would work out, there are great people to deal with who build Cue & Case. Going on four pages prove the point.

The good people continue to be point out, those are the people we should consider buying from.

Nuff sad for a while.