Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page The best non-pro player ever?
Page 2 of 9 12 34 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Scratch85
AzB Silver Member

Scratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

03-30-2020, 09:07 AM

Vernon Elliott.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Old
  (#17)
DarkPoseidon6
AzB Bronze Member
DarkPoseidon6 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkPoseidon6 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkPoseidon6 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkPoseidon6 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkPoseidon6 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkPoseidon6 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkPoseidon6 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkPoseidon6 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkPoseidon6 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkPoseidon6 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkPoseidon6 has a reputation beyond repute

03-30-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
If you played pool to eat you're were/are a pro. 'Pro' is a very ambiguous term that really means nothing in this game.
I get this too. But I mean those like Reyes, Earl, Neils, Orcollo, etc.... I'm talking about the players over time that never made it in the sense that they went into major tournaments and won money that way.

I'm talking about those players that aren't on the boards here or anywhere- Players from the past, maybe some you may have heard about that shot amazing pool.The players that Efren said were way better than him but never made it (which is pretty crazy to think about, given how amazing Efren has been, is)….

Old
  (#18)
Nostroke
AzB Gold Member
Nostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 10475
  Send a message via MSN to Nostroke  
03-30-2020, 09:09 AM

Ahahhahahaha

Old
  (#19)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

03-30-2020, 09:10 AM

The most successful "under the radar" player during my lifetime was Jack Cooney. He never showed his face at a pool tourney until he was in his 50's, and even then he did not play in the tournament proper. He only came to gamble! Jack won far more money than any of the "pro" players of his era. They were in awe of him and spoke often of his successful scores. How undercover was he? More than half of the pro players did not even know what he looked like. They only knew him by name.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Old
  (#20)
philly
AzB Silver Member
philly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond repute

03-30-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoc View Post
harold worst
Worst was the best.

Pool may not build character but it certainly will reveal it.

"Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis" Unencumbered By The Thought Process

How do you feel? Fast and loose, man.

Old
  (#21)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

03-30-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuebuddy View Post
Bob Ogburn AKA Black Bart comes to mind of a player who stayed under the radar. He may of not been the best non pro, probably considered a pro by a few but he could shoot very strong at one time.
There were thousands like him, too many to remember.
Bob was at the top of the food chain among road men.

Old
  (#22)
philly
AzB Silver Member
philly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond repute

03-30-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
The most successful "under the radar" player during my lifetime was Jack Cooney. He never showed his face at a pool tourney until he was in his 50's, and even then he did not play in the tournament proper. He only came to gamble! Jack won far more money than any of the "pro" players of his era. They were in awe of him and spoke often of his successful scores. How undercover was he? More than half of the pro players did not even know what he looked like. They only knew him by name.
Sure there's a lot of top notch players out there that would envy the times Cooney played in.
Video on social media has eliminated this type of player nowadays.

Pool may not build character but it certainly will reveal it.

"Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis" Unencumbered By The Thought Process

How do you feel? Fast and loose, man.

Old
  (#23)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-30-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
What did he do for a living? I thought pool was it. Didn't he have a room or two in Mich? He was only 37 when he passed. What a record for such a young man.
he did own a chain of pool rooms in michigan
also this......you have to call him a pro
"Worst didn't start playing pocket billiards seriously until his early thirties, and he died soon thereafter. But in that short period of time, he managed to not only to beat the best pros, but to dominate and strike fear into them. In 1965, the last year of his life, while being severely ill and 70 to 80 pounds underweight, Worst still managed to retain the world three-cushion billiards title in Belgium, to win two major American all-round pocket billiards tournaments, and even to win an English snooker tournament! Worst is one of only five players, and the only one in the modern era, to have held world titles in three-cushion billiards and pocket billiards. And he is the only player to switch from three-cushion billiards to pocket billiards and win world championships in the latter. He also remains the youngest player to have won a world title in three-cushion billiards. "

Old
  (#24)
DarkPoseidon6
AzB Bronze Member
DarkPoseidon6 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkPoseidon6 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkPoseidon6 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkPoseidon6 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkPoseidon6 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkPoseidon6 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkPoseidon6 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkPoseidon6 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkPoseidon6 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkPoseidon6 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkPoseidon6 has a reputation beyond repute

03-30-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
This is so interesting. As soon as you mentioned just the first name Jack, I thought of the guy who played Earl back in the day. Was that Jack Hines? I was very impressed by the video I saw of him when he took him to the hill, maybe in the 80's?. I think there was a lot said about him on here a while back.

Who was the guy that used to go on the road with Luther Lassiter that talked about some old farmer guy that hustled them out of money? It was a really funny story :0)

Old
  (#25)
Z-Nole
AzB Silver Member
Z-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond repute

03-30-2020, 09:21 AM

Donny Mills is the best player I can think of that doesn’t rely on pool for his livelihood but instead has a real career.

Old
  (#26)
Cuebuddy
Mini cues
Cuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond repute

03-30-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Bob was at the top of the food chain among road men.
I enjoyed watching him play in regional tourneys down south awhile back.

Here is a old link that was very interesting.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=363974

Cuebuddy

"I'm terrified every time you shoot"
Chisolm W

"14-1, 9 ball, 8 ball whats the difference....you put balls in holes."
Measureman

Old
  (#27)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people

03-30-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPoseidon6 View Post
This is so interesting. As soon as you mentioned just the first name Jack, I thought of the guy who played Earl back in the day. Was that Jack Hines? I was very impressed by the video I saw of him when he took him to the hill, maybe in the 80's?. I think there was a lot said about him on here a while back.

Who was the guy that used to go on the road with Luther Lassiter that talked about some old farmer guy that hustled them out of money? It was a really funny story :0)
I saw that "farmer guy" one time in Detroit. He beat two or three good players, Pancho among them, and then disappeared. To this day I don't know who he was. He wore overalls like the farmers in the Midwest all wore and had a southern twang to his voice. No one else who was there could tell me his name either. This was 1963 and he looked to be in his 40's. He was maybe six feet tall and had graying hair. I was always curious about him after that and never saw him again. Not in Johnston City and not in Dayton either.

Last edited by jay helfert; 03-30-2020 at 09:41 AM.

Old
  (#28)
asbani
AzB Silver Member
asbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 498

03-30-2020, 09:43 AM

Lets first define pro pool player, it is a person who basically makes a living out of pool games, i.e. he plays pool and pays his bells with the money that he makes from tournaments/gambling, that a pro player.

You asked, who is the best non-pro pool player?

Given the fact that Mike Dechaine is currently making his living from selling and installing house equipment, therefore by definition he is not a pro pool player, with this in mind, he is in my book the best non-pro player.

Old
  (#29)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

03-30-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPoseidon6 View Post
I get this too. But I mean those like Reyes, Earl, Neils, Orcollo, etc.... I'm talking about the players over time that never made it in the sense that they went into major tournaments and won money that way.

I'm talking about those players that aren't on the boards here or anywhere- Players from the past, maybe some you may have heard about that shot amazing pool.The players that Efren said were way better than him but never made it (which is pretty crazy to think about, given how amazing Efren has been, is)….
"Professional" by definition simply means that you do it as your PAID occupation and not a hobby/past-time. Doesn't matter if its tournaments or gambling. If its your main source of $$$ then you're a pro.

Old
  (#30)
Duane Remick
AzB Silver Member
Duane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond reputeDuane Remick has a reputation beyond repute

03-30-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I read somewhere-
The Higher the action THE BETTER JACK COONEY WOULD PLAY"
Also heard of Don Willis-
Would not play tourneys"
Supposedly never booked a loser on the road"

Duane Remick

Page 2 of 9 12 34 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: