Snatchin the cue

Three.Two.N.D.

Pogi_One
Silver Member
Hello all. Recently video taped myself and noticed I snatch the cue when I go from the pause at the back to hitting the ball. Any tips to stop. Also what impact does it have on my stroke. Just wondering if some of my misses are due to this. Thanks in advance all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello all. Recently video taped myself and noticed I snatch the cue when I go from the pause at the back to hitting the ball. Any tips to stop. Also what impact does it have on my stroke. Just wondering if some of my misses are due to this. Thanks in advance all.

Depends on what you mean by "snatching". And, as to whether or not it has an effect on your misses: video yourself without doing the snatching, and see what happens. Are you still hitting the cb where you want to while doing it? Everyone misses now and then. Some more now than then though. You might have a perfect stroke, but are just aiming wrong. We can't tell from what you have provided so far.

Three.Two.N.D.

Pogi_One
Silver Member
What I mean by snatch was I tend to grip harder on the cue. if that helps describe it. Thanks

quadrary

Custom Leather Cue Cases
Silver Member
stroke

If you tighten your grip mid stroke you will not strike the cue ball where you intended if you doubt this just hold your cue and quickly tighten your grip while watching the tip.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sometimes grabbing the cue is a result of psychological tension in shooting. Then it can become a physical habit that has to be broken with conscious effort.

Another cause is from a need to try to control the stroke with the hand.

I saw in another thread where CJ mentions the importance of the hand in shooting. I agree 100%. However, I want to add that it also means it's important to know when to reduce the role of the hand as well as increasing it. In your case, your instincts are probably right and you should probably try to reduce the role your hand is playing in your stroke.

You can try to break the habit by relaxing your hand on the cue and focusing on your arm movement doing the stroke. Think of your hand as a claw that just keeps the cue from falling. It will probably feel horrible because you are used to trying trying to control the shot with your hand, but most change feels awkward at first.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Fran is correct. For my students with this issue, I use one of Tim Gallwey's techniques and ask them to tell me not only how hard they gripped on the shot just passed on a 1 to 10 scale, but whether their number was consistent through the whole stroke.

Awareness is half the battle here and your "3 then 6" regrip should very quickly get closer to 3-3 or 3-4 (or whatever numbers) once you stop fighting the regrip and simply enhance your awareness.

You can always come back if you can't get this under control, for more help.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anytime someone feels the need to "regrip" the cue, they have a poor process. A good stroke is NEVER about regripping the cue. The grip needs to be consistent throughout the range of the stroke (backwards & forwards).

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Awareness is half the battle here and your "3 then 6" regrip should very quickly get closer to 3-3 or 3-4 (or whatever numbers) once you stop fighting the regrip and simply enhance your awareness.