rules question...

jcpoolgod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the 14ball is hanging in the pocket...the cueball is frozen to the 14......shooter shoots away from the pocket at his solids but accidentally makes the 14 with his cue....whats the call

tatcat2000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Under both WSR and CSI/BCAPL two possiblities, based on the action of the balls set in motion on the shot: (1) if no ball set in motion as a result of the shot passes through the area originally occupied by the 14, opponent's option to leave the 14 down or have it restored. Result of shot stands. (2) foul if any ball set in motion as a result of the shot passes through the area originally occupied by the 14. In that case, the 14 stays down and BIH to oponent.

Can't answer for other rule sets.

Buddy

Last edited:

jcpoolgod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yeah i was thinking the ball stayed down...but it would be a foul because it actually changes the course of the game....this shot happened at the 4 bears tourney this year

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
yeah i was thinking the ball stayed down...but it would be a foul because it actually changes the course of the game....this shot happened at the 4 bears tourney this year

It didn't effect the shot at all.

Spot the ball or leave it down.

Continue shooting.

jcpoolgod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it didn't affect the shot? maybe not...but now his 7 ball goes down the rail into the pocket where the 14 used to be....

It didn't affect the shot...but it did affect the game...

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
it didn't affect the shot? maybe not...but now his 7 ball goes down the rail into the pocket where the 14 used to be....

It didn't affect the shot...but it did affect the game...

So before he can shoot the shot, the opponent gets to decide if the ball spots or if it stays down.

It's not a foul unless "all ball fouls" are played.

So before he can shoot the shot, the opponent gets to decide if the ball spots or if it stays down.

It's not a foul unless "all ball fouls" are played.

It is also a foul if a ball rolls through the area where the original ball was...as the ball not being there creates a different outcome than if the ball had been there.

Take for instance, what if the shooter had called one of his balls to bank into the blocked pocket, hoping for his to follow the blocking ball. If the blocking ball falls, then his ball goes unimpeded. Foul.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ball should be spotted where it was, the option of leaving it in the pocket would not apply here since it's off the playing surface and was not made by a shot, legal or not. It's not like a ball was moved to a different spot on the table, it was moved off the playing surface. That opens up way too many "moves".

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
It is also a foul if a ball rolls through the area where the original ball was...as the ball not being there creates a different outcome than if the ball had been there.

Take for instance, what if the shooter had called one of his balls to bank into the blocked pocket, hoping for his to follow the blocking ball. If the blocking ball falls, then his ball goes unimpeded. Foul.

Yes, but that didn't happen on this shot.

pooler

Europe - TD, TL & Ref
Silver Member
the 14ball is hanging in the pocket...the cueball is frozen to the 14......shooter shoots away from the pocket at his solids but accidentally makes the 14 with his cue....whats the call

Simple :)

Foul, ball in hand, unless it is straight pool, which brings the most basic question:
what actually was the game played???

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I like the rule that any foul that results in a ball in a pocket is ball-in-hand....
...this is the case here as he hit it with his cue.
It's a good rule