break cues?

jcpoolgod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what are your guys' thoughts on break cues? Lighter? Heavier? Phenolic? Normal?

I have a pretty good break and I am just thinking about getting a new break cue.

My cue is a Madden from cue maker Jack Madden in Montana. http://www.johnmaddencues.com/

I have the opportunity to buy a Madden Break Cue that is 24 0z. Idk what I should do.

fish2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lighter cue for me with a Samsara break tip

Go to a pool room, get two house cues, 17/18 oz and a 20/21 oz. break with both and see which breaks better...

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what are your guys' thoughts on break cues? Lighter? Heavier? Phenolic? Normal?

I have a pretty good break and I am just thinking about getting a new break cue.

My cue is a Madden from cue maker Jack Madden in Montana. http://www.johnmaddencues.com/

I have the opportunity to buy a Madden Break Cue that is 24 0z. Idk what I should do.

I have a superb Alex Brick break cue with two shafts, one with phenolic and the
other has a kamui hard.

I still prefer to break with my player. That's just how I get the most consistent breaks.

As to the weight I prefer a heavy break stick 21 oz because it goes through the
cue ball much easier than the lighter ones.
This is of course just for me and I'm sure is directly related to my breaking technique.

That being said I've broken with many light sticks and strongly prefer the heavy ones.

I also like the idea of not having to swing my arm at warp speed to get a good break.
With a heavier cue I can swing it slower and the rack explodes.

As to the tip, I prefer leather any day over that phenolic stuff.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
break cue

Break Cue Weight

Contrary to what many believe, lighter is better when choosing a break cue weight. Even though a heavier break cue feels more powerful, a more powerful break will be achieved with a cue weighing 18.5 to 19 oz. Most professional players break with a cue that is 1/2 to 1 oz lighter than their playing cue because less weight allows them to generate more cue speed, resulting in greater cue ball speed and a more powerful break.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Pechauer 18.5 oz Break Cue is the best for me. Tried Bk, Bk2, Bk3, Jacoby Edge and Heavy Hitter. None compared to the forward weighted Pechauer for how I break. Not saying it's the best for anyone else, best for me that I've tried. ^^^ I shoot w/ a 19 oz ^^^.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Break Cue Weight

Contrary to what many believe, lighter is better when choosing a break cue weight. Even though a heavier break cue feels more powerful, a more powerful break will be achieved with a cue weighing 18.5 to 19 oz. Most professional players break with a cue that is 1/2 to 1 oz lighter than their playing cue because less weight allows them to generate more cue speed, resulting in greater cue ball speed and a more powerful break.

I would say this man (Rodney Moris) is a pretty decent breaker...:thumbup: ..... lol.....:D
Says he's using a 21 oz break cue AND want's go go with a heavier cue.

https://youtu.be/sBDhO_EDsRw

I doubt your arm will go so much faster with a 2 or 3 oz heavier cue that it's going to make a significant difference.

Maybe in a machine it will but my arm likes to swing heavy cues and go through the cue ball.

Shane Van Boening is playing with a 23.2 oz cue that he also uses for breaking.
https://youtu.be/sbobEBBWofE?t=48m00s

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Not my research

I would say this man (Rodney Moris) is a pretty decent breaker...:thumbup: ..... lol.....:D
Says he's using a 21 oz break cue AND want's go go with a heavier cue.

https://youtu.be/sBDhO_EDsRw

I doubt your arm will go so much faster with a 2 or 3 oz heavier cue that it's going to make a significant difference.

Maybe in a machine it will but my arm likes to swing heavy cues and go through the cue ball.

Shane Van Boening is playing with a 23.2 oz cue that he also uses for breaking.
https://youtu.be/sbobEBBWofE?t=48m00s

http://www.predatorcues.com/technique/

Barnabus McDoug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think too many people focus on the wrong thing concerning break cues. It's not about a light cue, or a heavy cue, or what predator says, or what the forum says, or what your buddy uses, it's about what weight works for your body and your break.

The absolute best way to find your ideal break cue weight is to try one at every .5 oz increment and record the results. I break with my playing cue, so i took it and every weight bolt I could find and set the cue at 17-22 oz and broke 20 racks at each weight. I recorded every break with the break speed app, calculated the average speed of the 20 racks and at the end, I've got my ideal break cue weight.

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a superb Alex Brick break cue with two shafts, one with phenolic and the
other has a kamui hard.

I still prefer to break with my player. That's just how I get the most consistent breaks.

As to the weight I prefer a heavy break stick 21 oz because it goes through the
cue ball much easier than the lighter ones.
This is of course just for me and I'm sure is directly related to my breaking technique.

That being said I've broken with many light sticks and strongly prefer the heavy ones.

I also like the idea of not having to swing my arm at warp speed to get a good break.
With a heavier cue I can swing it slower and the rack explodes.

As to the tip, I prefer leather any day over that phenolic stuff.

very true agree 100 percent! i bought a summit ph breaker 2 years ago with hard odega tip at 21 oz! no complaints! she beau as well to the eye!

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
I recently had a private lesson with Mike Sigel. He was a little surprised that I didn't have a separate Break Cue or at least a separate Break/Jump combo cue. When I got home from from FL, I immediately set about researching Break/Jump cues.

The Players Pure X HXTP2 Jump/Break Cue had some very positive reviews with several people noting that it took them a lot to get past the manufacturer's reputation for putting out low, entry level cues. Same here but for a street price of $212.00, I figured it was worth a shot.

Glad I did. When I first got the cue I tried horsing around with it as a regular cue, and while it wasn't bad, I wasn't impressed. Then I tried using it as a break cue. OMG! I've never spread the balls before like I've done with this cue. Granted some of this may be attributed to the lesson with Mike, but I've never felt the sledge hammer, bone crushing hit with any other cue when I've connected with the cue ball on a break shot. Simply amazing. I don't know how this compares with other Break/Jump cues, but I'm a fan of this model cue.

If you don't already have a break cue, for $212.00, you can't go wrong with this one. I haven't yet tried out the Jump Cue portion of this cue, but I'll share in a future review.

Oh, one other thing, Mike shared with me that contrary to conventional wisdom, a break cue is suppose to be LIGHTER than your regular playing cue. This increases speed during your arm swing & delivery to the cue ball, resulting in the delivery of more force. I ordered mine in 18 ounce,

Best, -Z-

3-piece-player.jpg

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As close to my playing cue in weight and butt diameter as possible. The break is mostly technique, and the tip and shaft is the most important part, just as with playing cues...

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Break Cue Weight

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this

World Champ and possibly the best breaker in the history of our sport, Francisco Bustamante, told me that more break speed is achieved with a lighter cue and he added his suggestion to move the non-bridge hand slightly forward on the butt as this will create even more speed.

I figured this to be sage advice worth following. :cool:

best,
brian kc

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Custom stuff

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this

World Champ and possibly the best breaker in the history of our sport, Francisco Bustamante, told me that more break speed is achieved with a lighter cue and he added his suggestion to move the non-bridge hand slightly forward on the butt as this will create even more speed.

best,
brian kc

I have a couple of customers who have ordered 14mm break shaft 3/8x10 pin, ( I wish I would of weighed them ).
I put a white diamond tip on .....
My point is it seemed to be a improvement .

Efren was afraid of Francisco Bustamante break................................

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a couple of customers who have ordered 14mm break shaft 3/8x10 pin, ( I wish I would of weighed them ).
I put a white diamond tip on .....
My point is it seemed to be a improvement .

my break cue has a 14MM shaft with a White Diamond tip.
i used the Predator break speed app on my phone to measure MPH.
I picked up about +1 MPH when i removed the 3 ounce weight bolt dropping the cue from 19 Oz to 16 Oz.
1 MPH probably doesn't mean much but it seemed to break a little better.
It's probably all in my head anyway.
I think proper technique has more to do with it then anything.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this

World Champ and possibly the best breaker in the history of our sport, Francisco Bustamante, told me that more break speed is achieved with a lighter cue and he added [B]his suggestion to move the non-bridge hand slightly forward on the butt as this will create even more speed.[/B]

best,
brian kc

I'm going to try this. Did not know it.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Break Cue Weight

This is what I said: "
This is of course just for me and I'm sure is directly related to my breaking technique. "

So once again...ehem...FOR ME a heavy break cue is the nuts.
No comparison.... FOR ME.

At a relatively small arm speed the rack completely explodes.
No less -better if anything - than the 17 oz guys who leave half of their body on the pool table and kick a walker-by in the nuts with their heels and their cue almost goes flying through the window.
I swing and the rack fast but not crazy and it completely explodes and spreads all over.

Look at Shane's breaks, not bad uh?
23 oz cue.
Look at Rodney's breaks, not bad either.
21 oz cue, looking for a heavier one.

Bottom line: it's all up to the individual.
Why: because physics work perfectly in a lab but no physics formula can calculate how YOU prefer to break.

Jeff Rosen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mostly play straight pool so I never bought a break cue but when I do play 8, 9, or 10 ball I usually look for the lightest house cue, usually a 19 and have no problem. Most books I've read say lighter is better. Occasionally I'll take the chance and use my playing cue.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night at league playing 8 ball on 7 foot diamonds i tried moving my rear hand a couple inches closer to the joint.
I made a ball or two on every break.
Now was it just one of those nights or did this adjustment really help?
Time will tell.
Was using a magic rack.I'm convinced you get a better break with this rack.
I scored a 45 out of the maximum 50.