one single idea

jcpoolgod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A mind once stretched by a new idea can never return to its original dimension-Albert Einstein

You play at a your current level, which is presumably better than how you used to play. What ONE thing/thought/tip/trick took you up to your current level. Yes we all know that progress is incremental but I am not interested in the slow and steady progress of that way of learning. On the other hand sometimes we learn something, change something, see something differently that clicks and causes not only improvement but massive accelerated improvement. A Quantum leap in your ability.

Have you ever experienced this kind of rapid improvement in your own game? If so what was that one thing you could say attributed to your new growth?

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keeping an open mind and being willing to listen to players that were at a much higher skill level than myself. It has helped my game a lot, and quite often immediately. They would see something I could not see.

I am not saying I did everything they suggested, but I was willing to listen and learn. Too many folks that play this game will not listen to anything said unless the person saying it is a pro, or a teacher. If you are playing someone that is at a much higher skill level than yourself, and they are nice enough to give up some help, I have always been willing to take the help as my ego is just not that large, and I am not that stubborn.

I actually play with some folks that could not be more egotistical and stubborn if they tried, and it has really held them back. They are actually decent players, but could be much better if they would only take the cotton out of their ears and stuff it in their mouth when they come to the hall.

There is actually not just ONE THING that took me to the next level, there is no silver bullet in this game.

Last edited:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Absolutely....

I have to agree with your post. For me. I had to take the emotionality out of it, make it a game of decision making, know how I do what I do in everything so the whole game becomes a process. When I don't understand how to do something practice that one thing until all of my ideas, clues and visualizations align and I can repeat them. I can go longer periods between playing and still feel as though I haven't lost anything. You have to search for your answers and find them.

Keeping an open mind and being willing to listen to players that were at a much higher skill level than myself. It has helped my game a lot, and quite often immediately. They would see something I could not see.

I am not saying I did everything they suggested, but I was willing to listen and learn. Too many folks that play this game will not listen to anything said unless the person saying it is a pro, or a teacher. If you are playing someone that is at a much higher skill level than yourself, and they are nice enough to give up some help, I have always been willing to take the help as my ego is just not that large, and I am not that stubborn.

I actually play with some folks that could not be more egotistical and stubborn if they tried, and it has really held them back. They are actually decent players, but could be much better if they would only take the cotton out of their ears and stuff it in their mouth when they come to the hall.

There is actually not just ONE THING that took me to the next level, there is no silver bullet in this game.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member

Respectfully, I believe this is because there are multiple silver bullets. A lot of players have off-balance, awkwardly stretched stances that are easily repaired, or jack their cue too high on many shots or use the wrong aim system, etc. Nothing beats a good lesson.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Don't make it more than it is. Playing pool is simply hitting one ball with a stick, then having that ball strike another one causing the last ball struck to go into a hole in a table.
If you watch Efren play you'll see that his game is not overly complicated. Then how does he make it look so easy? Because he's done it over, and over, and over.
That's what you should do. Play, and practice, play and practice. Sit quietly in your local pool room and watch good players play. Play only those who are at your skill level and above.
Keep it simple. :)

A mind once stretched by a new idea can never return to its original dimension-Albert Einstein

You play at a your current level, which is presumably better than how you used to play. What ONE thing/thought/tip/trick took you up to your current level. Yes we all know that progress is incremental but I am not interested in the slow and steady progress of that way of learning. On the other hand sometimes we learn something, change something, see something differently that clicks and causes not only improvement but massive accelerated improvement. A Quantum leap in your ability.

Have you ever experienced this kind of rapid improvement in your own game? If so what was that one thing you could say attributed to your new growth?

I have had several epiphanies that have drastically improved my game over night. I'll try to list the ones I remember:

1. Realizing that the object balls were throwing away from the pocket when I used left or right english.

2. Learning to steady my eyes and focus on the contact point prior to my final stroke.

3. Realizing that most shots I miss are because they are undercut. If you're not 100% sure, aim to overcut the ball.

4. Learning how deflection is affecting my shots.

5. Learning the importance of striving to get very close to the next object ball even when it's easy to settle for a longer shot.

6. Learning how to relax in high pressure situations.

7. Learning to take the table one ball at a time. Of course you plan ahead, but when it's time to execute, you're only thinking about the contact point and the cue ball position. No need to think about anything else.

8. Learning that if you can consistently beat the 5 ball ghost, you can upset anyone with the right amount of safety play.

9. Learning how to read a 9-ball rack to wire the wing ball..

10. Leaning to how to consistently execute kick shots that you are supposed to hit.

Hopefully this helps. Good luck!

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
For me it was realizing I didn't need to get "perfect" position. To get relatively close and be on the correct side of each object ball was more important and enough to make me relax and play much more confident.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had several epiphanies that have drastically improved my game over night. I'll try to list the ones I remember:

1. Realizing that the object balls were throwing away from the pocket when I used left or right english.

2. Learning to steady my eyes and focus on the contact point prior to my final stroke.

3. Realizing that most shots I miss are because they are undercut. If you're not 100% sure, aim to overcut the ball.

4. Learning how deflection is affecting my shots.

5. Learning the importance of striving to get very close to the next object ball even when it's easy to settle for a longer shot.

6. Learning how to relax in high pressure situations.

7. Learning to take the table one ball at a time. Of course you plan ahead, but when it's time to execute, you're only thinking about the contact point and the cue ball position. No need to think about anything else.

8. Learning that if you can consistently beat the 5 ball ghost, you can upset anyone with the right amount of safety play.

9. Learning how to read a 9-ball rack to wire the wing ball..

10. Leaning to how to consistently execute kick shots that you are supposed to hit.

Hopefully this helps. Good luck!

#2 is right on for me. I totaly agree with #8 but would change that to the 6 ball ghost.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
For me it was learning that a Perfect Practice Routine was better than playing.

Playing was the evidence of my Routine!

randyg

thintowin

thin2win
Silver Member
my great moment occurred when i was 20 when i went to live in pensacola with my girl friend while her friend was having her baby. i had no destractions in life, and for the next 3 months i played competitition daily that was better thanme. some were quite a bit better than me, but most were a slightly better than me. but if i was going to to keep playing i had to get better; no choice or options. i got better quickly and kept getting better because i didn't have a choice; sink or swim as they say.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think most players either get good quick or they never get good

i see young players develop really fast

i played with shannon when he was twelve,often i talked with his father who reported that he seemed to be improving with quantum leaps

i never improved,i practice worse than i play and unless i am gambling i play even worse

i reached my speed,such that it is,in about 6 months when i was a kid,since then it never
gets better,lately trying to play straight pool has made my game much worse

not only do i PlAY WORSE BUT I AM LOSING ALL THE FUN OF PLAYING

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Most of the replies have been from players who are far more advanced than me.

So, representing the beginners, I have to say Pre Shot Routine and not shooting until I feel like my stroke is straight (i.e. take 3-4 practice strokes until I feel/see that the cue is arrow-straight).

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a lesson with Joe Salazar. Emphasis was on accuratelly striking the cueball with a fluid stroke. 1 was no good wkthout the other.:wink:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
To relax while remembering that I play the game for fun...It's sooo damned easy to get nervous and make my game even worse. I forget where I picked this up...one of the books I bought.

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a bad habit of one or two stroking shots, causing misses. So, I made a new habit of slowing down, and using a golf principle from Harvey Pennick- "take dead aim". Worked wonders

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find that practicing everyday or almost everyday with INTENT, Seems to make more light bulb moments happen. Constant practice helps to put the building blocks together.

klone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The things I remember the most which took my game up a notch...

1. Learning the effects of spin on the vertical access. Knowing top and bottom spins allowed for more variations in playing position.

2. Learning the effects of force on bank shots.

3. Understanding the tangent line.

There are many more but these three things made the greatest impression on me and I remembered how they advanced my game (even if ever so slightly).

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think most players either get good quick or they never get good

i see young players develop really fast

i played with shannon when he was twelve,often i talked with his father who reported that he seemed to be improving with quantum leaps

i never improved,i practice worse than i play and unless i am gambling i play even worse

i reached my speed,such that it is,in about 6 months when i was a kid,since then it never
gets better,lately trying to play straight pool has made my game much worse

not only do i PlAY WORSE BUT I AM LOSING ALL THE FUN OF PLAYING

If all there was to play was straight pool and 8 ball , I would have quit in 1969.
I am not horrible at them , I just don't enjoy the games!
I love 9 ball but it is too strenuous now, so I play 1 pocket.
I could play the game 6 hours a day every day and still enjoy it
If I don't have a crybaby as an opponent.
I got to where I was missing everything I shot at, even 3 and 4 footers , but I figured something out, that is helping me a lot.
check your PM