Keith Mcready - what kind of Cue did he play back in his day

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keith would use any cue he could get his hands on! :smile:
No, seriously. Sometimes he would make a game and then ask someone to borrow their cue after he hit a few balls with it. His favorite cue case was either a rubber band or rolled up newspaper around the cue. :smile:

Keith could literally pick up any cue and if it felt good to him he was ready to go. He often played big money games with a cue he had never played with before! In a pinch he would find a house cue and use it to mow you down!

His favorite cue case was either a rubber band or rolled up newspaper around the cue. Just Think, if Keith or JAM were to sell Keith's autograph Cue Case Rubber Band or Newspaper!

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I feel all fancy now!

His favorite cue case was either a rubber band or rolled up newspaper around the cue. Just Think, if Keith or JAM were to sell Keith's autograph Cue Case Rubber Band or Newspaper!

I feel all fancy using a bath towel now!

Hu

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Keith liked whippy shaft.
He once asked my mentor for a shaft with a "long taper.
In the book Playing Off The Rail, it is mentioned he borrowed a Robinson cue and liked it.
He also liked flat Elk Master iirc.
Just like Efren.

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keith's Cue

No, seriously. Sometimes he would make a game and then ask someone to borrow their cue after he hit a few balls with it. His favorite cue case was either a rubber band or rolled up newspaper around the cue. :smile:

Keith could literally pick up any cue and if it felt good to him he was ready to go. He often played big money games with a cue he had never played with before! In a pinch he would find a house cue and use it to mow you down!

I agree with Jay! It didn't matter what cue he used as long as it hit the ball good.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Bugs came to Memphis during a tournament in 1991 and his backer bought him a Tim Scruggs sneaky Pete that was about 4" longer than an average cue. He played with it for 2 weeks and with his height, you'd have thought it had been specifically made for him. No one even came close to beating him. He gave a local guy 13-5 in 1 pocket for $1,000/game and beat him 3 straight. Didn't even take the cue with him when he went back to Chicago and his backer sold it for pretty cheap to Gordy Christopherson.

FARGO tried to make a bank game, didn't happen iirc

By some chance do you know who got 13 to 5 from Bugs?

by 91 the bugs of the 70's could have given the Bugs of 91 at least 9 to 7

Parica was also here at about the same time and he also declined playing bank pool with Tony

This is Adam, do I know you?

PM if you prefer that means of communication

PS..GORDY (RIP) was an old friend ( as was OOp) from when we were in the CHI area)

Last edited:

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Few years ago @ the SBE the USBA held their Nationals. Efren came into the room to look around. The table mechanic in a panic tells me to hand him my cue. Just knocking the balls around for 10 minutes, he averaged nearly 2.00.
My cue at that time weighed 14oz. He didn't even react to that. He simply took aim and rained billiards.

Nature Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I know he was very good left handed. Did he use the same method that way?

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dunno if the sidearm stroke is one really worth working at developing. It came about from Keith being young & short when he began playing.

If the OP’s son is too short to use a pendulum stroke, and has a lot of natural talent at the game....then it likely beats standing on a box. Like Keith & Hoppe (?), Ralph Greenleaf was also too short/young when he developed HIS sidearm stroke. The greatest, until Mosconi came along (and learned by touring with him).

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the OP’s son is too short to use a pendulum stroke, and has a lot of natural talent at the game....then it likely beats standing on a box. Like Keith & Hoppe (?), Ralph Greenleaf was also too short/young when he developed HIS sidearm stroke. The greatest, until Mosconi came along (and learned by touring with him).

Why would he want to use a pendulum stroke? Thats basically the snooker stroke. He wants to learn American pool.

r/DCP

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread pretty much sums it up. He's had quite a variety of different cues.

He still talks about the Balabushka pool cue that got stolen from him that he bought from Buddy Hall for $300.

Jack Madden made a beautiful custom-made cue for Keith with his name on it. Beautiful! If you search this forum, you can find a photo of it somewhere.

He's played with Meucci and liked the "whip" in the old Meucci cues which, according to Keith, the new ones don't have that same whip.

He bought a Bobby Hunter cue off of Amar Kang a long time ago that he loved, loved, loved, but unfortunately, he had to give it up. Story about that would be a topic of another thread. I was not happy.

He has a WilleeCue custom made for him by a nice man from Texas that I met on Google Groups. He also made us custom-made pens, which were beautiful.

Seems like every tournament we've been to, Keith's always getting a new tip, a new shaft, et cetera.

He likes a long professional taper and a heavy butt with a lot of forward balance, about a 20 to 21 ounce cue, if memory serves me correctly.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would he want to use a pendulum stroke? Thats basically the snooker stroke. He wants to learn American pool.

r/DCP

A pendulum stroke is what all of us use in all billiards games when you swing from the elbow, it varies in style though with things like elbow drop or not. There is not much difference in how you shoot in snooker or in pool, what is the difference is stance and mechanics. In all games you still poke a ball forward using a cue, which requires the same skills to do in any game. "American pool" just developed a more side facing stance and more arm swinging.

Last edited:

mrparks

Registered
FARGO tried to make a bank game, didn't happen iirc

By some chance do you know who got 13 to 5 from Bugs?

by 91 the bugs of the 70's could have given the Bugs of 91 at least 9 to 7

Parica was also here at about the same time and he also declined playing bank pool with Tony

This is Adam, do I know you?

PM if you prefer that means of communication

PS..GORDY (RIP) was an old friend ( as was OOp) from when we were in the CHI area)

Bugs played a guy from Jackson, Tn and gave him 13-5. I don't know his name. Tony and Bugs played an "exhibition" bank game for $1,000 and Bugs won pretty easily. The only Adam I remember was Adam Orr. ?