GC I or GC III?

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I spoke to the OP on the phone the other day and he is a very nice guy. Just trying to make it happen on a budget. He has a wife like some of us and these women just dont seem to understand why we would spend so much on a pool table... The real answer is simple: buy it once and be happy with it forever: AKA Buy a GC or a Diamond,

I do see some of the "competition" to get a GC for as cheap as humanly possible... Some win and most LOSE. When you factor in: moving it/ reinstalling it, new cushions, new cloth, new pockets and wood/ metal refinishing , having someone who knows what they are doing is KEY. There are guys on here that have posted AMAZING projects they did. Rexus and Pocket for example, they are the EXCEPTION and not the norm.

Good luck!

TFT

I have a 4 and it was about 2k to get it up and running in my home.

It would be a mistake to fail to acknowledge prices are elevated now, due to the current social pause.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you. If I can get a IV under 3000, will definitely consider.

It's great that the tables are set up for you to play on, as opposed to being in pieces on the floor. Try before you buy! :grin:

I'd suggest you hit some balls on all three tables before making your choice. In particular shoot some bank shots off every rail, up and down the rail. Also put your hand on the top of the cushions and apply some pressure downward to see if there are any weak spots that have give to them. Do this all the way around the table. Take a good look down the cushions from each end of the table to see how straight they are, and if there are any lumpy places along the cushions. All this is where the rubber meets the road LITERALLY! The old Brunswick Superspeed cushions played great and if it's still in good condition you won't need new rubber.

Whether you get a good deal or not depends on the quality of the table you chose. All three tables could be great tables and likewise all three might not be so great. Once again, try before you buy. I cannot emphasize this enough.

Any deal you make should be dependent on not having any cracked slate and clean wood surfaces under the slate for attaching the cloth. If you can see how the underside of the slate/rails look before making your purchase that will tell you a lot about the history of the table. A table that has been in a poolroom for 30-40 years will never be as good as one that has spent it's life in someone's home. Don't be afraid to ask where each table came from.

One last thing. Get under that table and take a good look around. You'd be surprised what you might find under there!

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I spoke to the OP on the phone the other day and he is a very nice guy. Just trying to make it happen on a budget. He has a wife like some of us and these women just dont seem to understand why we would spend so much on a pool table... The real answer is simple: buy it once and be happy with it forever: AKA Buy a GC or a Diamond,

I do see some of the "competition" to get a GC for as cheap as humanly possible... Some win and most LOSE. When you factor in: moving it/ reinstalling it, new cushions, new cloth, new pockets and wood/ metal refinishing , having someone who knows what they are doing is KEY. There are guys on here that have posted AMAZING projects they did. Rexus and Pocket for example, they are the EXCEPTION and not the norm.

Good luck!

TFT

Thanks for the shout out, Trent! It was definitely a labor of love for pocket and I. These tables will last us the rest of our lives. We made them look pretty but a huge shoutout to Steve Leistikow who expertly calibrated the rails, installed new rubber and cut the pockets. He's a master mechanic and as a result, the tables play lights out. FWIW, we went with the Diamond black rubber which, IMO was the perfect choice.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?497624&p=6450657#post6450657

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?511683&p=6643540#post6643540

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'd suggest you hit some balls on all three tables before making your choice. In particular shoot some bank shots off every rail, up and down the rail. Also put your hand on the top of the cushions and apply some pressure downward to see if there are any weak spots that have give to them. Do this all the way around the table. Take a good look down the cushions from each end of the table to see how straight they are, and if there are any lumpy places along the rails. All this is where the rubber meets the road LITERALLY! The old Brunswick Superspeed cushions played great and if it's still in good condition you won't need new rubber....
If you find dead cushions, it's not a deal breaker but it is a bargaining point. If you're going to have to replace the rubber -- the seller has to see the problem -- a lower price is justified. You will need to have a competent mechanic available to do the cushions.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member