Early Schon ID

Thrasher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Happened to come across this early Schon and was curious what series, if any, this is. Looks like an SP28, however that series doesn't appear to have points. Perhaps a custom build?

Regardless of the series, it's beautiful and hits like a dream.

Curious what opinions you may have.

Thanks!
168d774d3327ee7ae458756c63073473.jpg
374133f99c314d31df811406ec60f0b6.jpg
bfba1c59214bd5218764e895d7bd55b1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Happened to come across this early Schon and was curious what series, if any, this is. Looks like an SP28, however that series doesn't appear to have points. Perhaps a custom build?

Regardless of the series, it's beautiful and hits like a dream.

Curious what opinions you may have.

Thanks!
168d774d3327ee7ae458756c63073473.jpg
374133f99c314d31df811406ec60f0b6.jpg
bfba1c59214bd5218764e895d7bd55b1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It's an SP-28 from 1990 catalog.
http://www.palmercollector.com/Schon/SchonRandSPad1990.html

Thrasher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Correct...it IS pre-1990 but appeared in the 1990 catalog. If you remember that catalog had a mix of mitered and cnc point cues.

Interesting. I was under the impression that the SP wasn't a series until the 90's.

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting. I was under the impression that the SP wasn't a series until the 90's.

Understandable actually. I think they basically kept the "SP" line going for quite some time. If you look at the catalog link, you'll see the mixture of short splice and pantograph points I'm talking about. I'm pretty certain I saw that model prior to 1990 as well.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
You don't see beauties like this everyday!

Hey guys, check out cue #6 from the Healthware catalog circa 1992. (Healthware is what Joel Hercek did for a living before Burton Spain picked him to be his successor). :

http://www.palmercollector.com/BlastfromthePast10.html

I'm glad I went through the trouble of scanning these old cue mailers. Every once in a while one of these cues shows up and it's a kick. Even though you can't tell from the pic the SP 29 shown in the Healthware ad probably used pantographed points (notice the description on Cue #5).

The original SP series ad on my website was taken from a 1990 Billiards Digest page. In the late 1980's, the Schon designs were being made both ways, with traditional half splice milled pockets and pantograph inlaid points. I even had some R series cues with pantographed points! My guess (and it's just a guess) is this cue is late 1980's, as the R series was being phased out and SP in.

Last edited:

Thrasher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't see beauties like this everyday!

Hey guys, check out cue #6 from the Healthware catalog circa 1992. (Healthware is what Joel Hercek did for a living before Burton Spain picked him to be his successor). :

http://www.palmercollector.com/BlastfromthePast10.html

I'm glad I went through the trouble of scanning these old cue mailers. Every once in a while one of these cues shows up and it's a kick. Even though you can't tell from the pic the SP 29 shown in the Healthware ad probably used pantographed points (notice the description on Cue #5).

The original SP series ad on my website was taken from a 1990 Billiards Digest page. In the late 1980's, the Schon designs were being made both ways, with traditional half splice milled pockets and pantograph inlaid points. I even had some R series cues with pantographed points! My guess (and it's just a guess) is this cue is late 1980's, as the R series was being phased out and SP in.

Thank you for the reply Tate! This cue is a gem!

mrparks

Registered
Sorry I'm late to the conversation but this is the same cue I had from 1989-1991. I bought it new from Gordy Christopherson (Schon dealer) in Memphis. He told me this might be a one off since it was manufactured in the "old style" and didn't use a panagraph. Unfortunately, I had to replace the engine in my car and sold it to cover the cost to a guy named Wayman Earnest in Memphis. I haven't played at all for over 15 years but it was awesome to see these pics. Even if it's not the exact cue I owned, it brought back a lot of memories from those days. If it came up for sale, it would still be hard to pass up if the price was right.