Joss West ID?

Dbow61

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have this Joss West just wanted to know if anyone knows it's year or model? I cant find any info on this exact model some close,
And if being personalized affects the value much, has a very slight bow in shaft, in like new condition,
And if anyone may know about what it would bring on eBay or?

Thanks
478a423158230f5c510baf89ab5abd63.jpg
9593c4481648c579a70b52ee05d896fa.jpg
ac7f691c739571318f860fa1ac8893b8.jpg
2fff47e1bde781f08be9502de34f35d3.jpg
73d699168eb0c263565fa4c898697009.jpg
8dd9549bf87081b121c17443ee7d9633.jpg
0389483ce028bd52f463dfb8ab8066ef.jpg
84dfb87fd2f2b4fc0fe1320279ea1749.jpg
441360bb2316b40ce45466b578b4acb4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont know

But I've never seen a jw with that pin, and threads into wood shaft, what's with the brown bumper, looks like bleeding color on windows.

Dbow61

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really don't know about the cue all I know is that I was told it's all ivory and early model.

Dbow61

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the link nice read and good info.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
But I've never seen a jw with that pin, and threads into wood shaft, what's with the brown bumper, looks like bleeding color on windows.

I have a sideways-w Josswest with an ivory joint, 3/8-10, just sold a sideways-w with
a yellow micarta joint, 3/8-10, same pin, terrific cues
Las t year I sold a similar one sideways-w except it has mother of pearl notched diamonds & dots

None of them had brown bumpers but some of the early block letter Joss cues had brown KU bumpers so it doesn't surprise me.
Bill Stroud did all kinds of stuff, you would be surprised at what I have, especially from a dimensional standpoint.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't remember seeing a KU bumper on a JW. But I am not surprised.

It's a great cue and should have good value.

Those cues are legendary. A player and a collectible IMHO.

I am hoping Stroud chimes in to comment on the cue, especially the pin.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Early Josswest
Bumpers do get replaced, I have a hardened KU bumper from a block letter Joss that was replaced with a new one.
I almost put it on the Adam St. Moritz I po icked up yesterday but I
found a rounded Adam bumper in my nice things to have box

20180711_080547.jpg

20180711_080713.jpg

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Early Josswest
Bumpers do get replaced, I have a hardened KU bumper from a block letter Joss that was replaced with a new one.
I almost put it on the Adam St. Moritz I po icked up yesterday but I
found a rounded Adam bumper in my nice things to have box

A hardened bumper can be softened. It needs elastomers reintroduced. Wrap it in a piece of paper towel dampened with in 3 in 1 oil. Store in a zip lock. You can accelerate the process with heat. I used to use a little tin foil cup with oil in it and let it sit over a 100 watt light bulb for a couple days. Baste with the oil every couple hours. I used my desk lamp turned upwards with a wire hanger bent to mount/hold the little cup.

Transmission "restorer" can work even better. It has elastomers in it for the transmission belts. It is literally intended to soften rubber.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
A hardened bumper can be softened. It needs elastomers reintroduced. Wrap it in a piece of paper towel dampened with in 3 in 1 oil. Store in a zip lock. You can accelerate the process with heat. I used to use a little tin foil cup with oil in it and let it sit over a 100 watt light bulb for a couple days. Baste with the oil every couple hours. I used my desk lamp turned upwards with a wire hanger bent to mount/hold the little cup.

Transmission "restorer" can work even better. It has elastomers in it for the transmission belts. It is literally intended to soften rubber.

Definitely worth it, the current price for those KU bumpers has increased exponentially.
Thanks, I will look for my 3-1
I guess it is like putting the chemicals back into the rubber that have leached out over the years.
Many elastomers are not hydrocarbon resistant other than Buna-n (nitrile-
butadiene), various Viton's, a certain type of neoprene, but the oil could definitely
help in this application, and possibly swell the rubber a little which it needs.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This cue is from the 72-80 series but isn't in the brochure as made. Probably was made for a specific customer with those modifications

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those big squares in the joint rings were on the really early cues. They were a lot like those on some of the Bill-Dan early JOSS's.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Definitely worth it, the current price for those KU bumpers has increased exponentially...

Ain't that the truth! Too exponentially imho. But I guess if you can get it do so. LOL

As for the oil I use a similar process for rubber gromets, gaskets, and other parts used on drums. I use a small glass jar and put in some vegetable oil and mix a little isopropyl alcohol. About an 8 or 10 to 1 ratio. Then put the jar over a bulb or if Im cooking something in the oven, just put it on top of my stove where the excess heat is released.. Works nice.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Learning on azb

I learned that the cues can have a big pin into wood threads. Glad I got schooled, if I would have seen that in a pawn shop, never would I have thought it was genuine. All the josswest I have ever seen bad a 5 16 by 14 into brass insert.

bstroud

Deceased
I have this Joss West just wanted to know if anyone knows it's year or model? I cant find any info on this exact model some close,
And if being personalized affects the value much, has a very slight bow in shaft, in like new condition,
And if anyone may know about what it would bring on eBay or?

Thanks
I made that cue. It was a custom order.
The bumper was the same Brunswick bumper that I used on all my cues at the time.
Looks to be in very good condition.

Bill S.

Dbow61

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks a lot for the information on the cue and it's really cool to have the maker of the cue himself to verify it, yes it is in xlnt condition, Thanks Again