When ameteur competitors consistantly cash in professional events

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think people are being unreasonable, again I have great respect for Justin Bergman, but if a flyer is announced that says NO PROS and a bunch of local players get in the tournament assuming they will be playing against non-pro level players, and then the TD allows Justin Bergman and a few other very high skill level players in the tournament, what exactly does the NO PROS advertisement mean? I mean seriously anyone who doesnt think Justin is a pro or pro level player has their head in the clouds, if Justin can play then there isnt really anyone left to bar I mean Justin is the best player in the USA right now imo. SVB fans will find out pretty soon.

Then those amateurs should be excited as a kid in a candy store because not only is there a chance they can matchup against Justin, but there is a great opportunity to watch and learn up close.

Why are we so afraid of losing sometimes that we would rather handicap ourselves or not play or just road block talented players from playing? I was at that mental hurdle, until my pool coach told me to stop being afraid of losing and start playing. Taking his advice and realizing that you learn a great deal playing more talented players even.

If I'm playing in a tournament, I'm not there for a living, so if pros are there and I draw one--right on! If I can get a bead or two on the wire, what an experience.
For those with full time careers, pool will always and forever be relegated to, what I call, an aggressive hobby.

I will always and forever have respect for the pros because in many cases they have given up opportunities for families/relationships in order to live and breathe the sport.

As for the top level amateurs, now THAT is another level that gains my respect and admiration. By all means, let them play and cash away. I'll keep playing them, watching them, losing to them, and learning from them...take what I learn and go home and practice and train a bit harder.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And if the cost/ benefit of such a tournament isn't to your favor, it isn't the right tournament for you.

It is kindof odd, the complaint about not having a chance to win. Basically when the event is over, only one guy is gonna be on the top anyway. Everybody else will have lost.

Then those amateurs should be excited as a kid in a candy store because not only is there a chance they can matchup against Justin, but there is a great opportunity to watch and learn up close.

Why are we so afraid of losing sometimes that we would rather handicap ourselves or not play or just road block talented players from playing? I was at that mental hurdle, until my pool coach told me to stop being afraid of losing and start playing. Taking his advice and realizing that you learn a great deal playing more talented players even.

If I'm playing in a tournament, I'm not there for a living, so if pros are there and I draw one--right on! If I can get a bead or two on the wire, what an experience.
For those with full time careers, pool will always and forever be relegated to, what I call, an aggressive hobby.

I will always and forever have respect for the pros because in many cases they have given up opportunities for families/relationships in order to live and breathe the sport.

As for the top level amateurs, now THAT is another level that gains my respect and admiration. By all means, let them play and cash away. I'll keep playing them, watching them, losing to them, and learning from them...take what I learn and go home and practice and train a bit harder.

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why does pool have to be fair to everyone when it already is? Ether your good enough or you're not! Guess what......I don't pony up the cash to play in the US open because I'm not good enough for the money, but..........if I could play those guys for thirty bucks I'm all in! So for me it's not about being good enough (which I'm not) it's just the cost to play!

Ppl want it to be fair, then put in 8hrs a day 7 days a week for 5 years and then it will be fair, ohhh wait you can't do that?? Then let's complain about those who have and mastered this hobby of a game!

Sorry rant over!

That was pretty much my point. People keep crying about having no chance and I promise you most of them don’t practice correctly, if at all. It’s usually the people who’s skill level hasn’t budged in years and their pride can’t handle getting wiped out by someone who put in either more time or more quality time.

Rimfirejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't agree that it should be determined by the money earned. But should be determined by the skill level displayed.

How many times have we seen someone in a job that no one would call a professional at it? Look at how the skilled trades do it. (which is what pool really is) They have different skill levels, with only the top level being considered a true professional.

apprentice=amateur

journeyman=semi-pro

master=pro

Disagree completely!

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think people are being unreasonable, again I have great respect for Justin Bergman, but if a flyer is announced that says NO PROS and a bunch of local players get in the tournament assuming they will be playing against non-pro level players, and then the TD allows Justin Bergman and a few other very high skill level players in the tournament, what exactly does the NO PROS advertisement mean? I mean seriously anyone who doesnt think Justin is a pro or pro level player has their head in the clouds, if Justin can play then there isnt really anyone left to bar I mean Justin is the best player in the USA right now imo. SVB fans will find out pretty soon.

I also played a tournament some time ago where it said NO Pros and I got beat by Hennesee in the winners bracket finals.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
This is arguably the weakest spined topic I've read on here in a total of 12 years

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is arguably the weakest spined topic I've read on here in a total of 12 years

No kidding. I invite pros to stop by my house for a quick race to 11 (even) for a hundo every time I get the chance. How lucky are we that the pros are so accessible?!?!

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
No kidding. I invite pros to stop by my house for a quick race to 11 (even) for a hundo every time I get the chance. How lucky are we that the pros are so accessible?!?!

(I'd rep you but can't on tapatalk .....and smorg approves)

Yeah gives me flash backs of 5/6 speeds telling me I have no heart when I don't feel like giving them the world for 20$ a game while I go play 500$ entry events with some of the best alive when I can, as an example.

Go buy yourself a trophy if you need one so bad.....if you crave the money that bad, then develop a better game or get your ass a job and go make some.

Hell this crap happens at work too.

Booo hoo he makes so much more money than me.....it's not fair hes on a gravy train

Lort oh why lort is it so unfair

Well it's not unfair it's just not made to appease and cater to every twat waffle in house if you suck ass and don't do what it takes to ketchup much less cut any mustard that is a personal issue and nothing more.

It's a though titty little one eyed kitty.

Welcome to the game it's just like that other really hard one......

LIFE,
-greyghost

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I bought a book of poems....none of them rhymed....:angry:
I went and got my money back....”I said no prose!”

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I bought a book of poems....none of them rhymed....:angry:

I went and got my money back....”I said no prose!”

Did they suck on your toes or give you a rose? Did the cash mouse of the book house say no refunds, you louse?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Did they suck on your toes or give you a rose? Did the cash mouse of the book house say no refunds, you louse?

Shit,mon, I could’ve got my poetry fix on AZ?
...and all for free?

pmac666

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

+1 couldnt agree more....take on the good players where you can, thats the way to improve....even when it costs some $$$!
why handicapping or dividing them into pros and amateurs anyways? rack em up and the best shooter wins.....simple as that!

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
+1 couldnt agree more....take on the good players where you can, thats the way to improve....even when it costs some $$$!

why handicapping or dividing them into pros and amateurs anyways? rack em up and the best shooter wins.....simple as that!

We like to say all men are created equal but the most important part that gets left out.....

Is afterwards we all build ourselves in unequal fashion as each sees fit.

In no way does that mean no one should be left behind.

Competition spurs progression.

The rest is give everyone a Trophy bullcorn pc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk