The Shane Is Falling

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I didn't think I could ever say that mine and Shane's games were similar but, holy crap, after watching him yesterday and today, I may reconsider it. :grin:

He's been missing some very routine near straight in half table shots and on a 3b that he tried to glance off of to get a safety on he hit the 3 so fat he sent whitey immediately into the corner pocket.

He was up 4-1 against Jayson and had so may chances to close it out; there were 3 opptys just in the hill-hill game, what a tough MC again for our best player in the land.

I feel bad for him, I really do. He is def snakebit at MC.

I'm not the type to give up but at 10-4 there's a lot of writing on the wall and fat ladies clearing their throats and curtains about to drop, I do believe.

We have all played in league or tourneys and got beatdowns from opponents who played extremely well and to them we should tip our hats but when we are given many opptys and we give a really poor account of ourselves it makes losing triple frustrating.

Shane's 91 yo grandpa, Gary Bloomberg, came down to give him an attaboy when he went up 4-1 on Jayson. I feel bad for him, as well. And he was looking real sporty, btw, with his red suit, black hat with silver conchos and big ponytail sticking out the back. :thumbup:

Maybe next year...

best,
brian kc

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Shane's loss is especially baffling, given that he played well other than two ill fated spectacular misses that truly were inexplicable. Shaw said after the match that he had never seen SVB miss those shots in his life. Well, me either...until I remember the many, many shots SVB has missed in this and past Mosconi Cups. Just part of the spectacle I suppose.

On the bright side, it makes mortals like me feel better about our games.

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane's loss is especially baffling, given that he played well other than two ill fated spectacular misses that truly were inexplicable. Shaw said after the match that he had never seen SVB miss those shots in his life. Well, me either...until I remember the many, many shots SVB has missed in this and past Mosconi Cups. Just part of the spectacle I suppose.

On the bright side, it makes mortals like me feel better about our games.

I routinely beat myself up for missing shots of that nature. Perhaps I should reconsider my sentencing. Now, I know its not for the MC, but then I'm not a professional player.....
These things always remind me to play because I enjoy it and that I am not my pool game.

Last edited:

puma122

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is a good lesson that a mere mortal like many of us, and me, to not get so down on misses. Everyone does it. Sure the pressure was different here, but it's all relative in my opinion. Forget about the miss and move on. I see SO many people get so worked up it screws them for sometime after. Stupid, we all miss...just some more than others!

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
Stun shots do that. He has to play shape on this equipment. He doesn't play shape too often

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I routinely beat myself up for missing shots of that nature. Perhaps I should reconsider my sentencing. Now, I know its not for the MC, but then I'm not a professional player.....
These things always remind me to play because I enjoy it and that I am not my pool game.

Well said. I also keep in mind that 99.99% of the USA population haven't a clue the event takes place, and wouldn't care about the outcome if they did.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Incredible to see Shane miss those shots today. Regardless if he was cheating the pocket as the commentators said. NO excuses for it. He gave that match away..

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, there is this: unless you’re there, it’s hard to understand the atmosphere and the pressure of the MC. Yes, all the players are in the box but Shane’s situation is unique.

He constantly has all the American fans yelling their impossible expectations at him every time he comes to the table. Things like: “Time to go to work, Shane.” “Alright, Captain America, go to it.” “Let’s go, Shane.” And so on and so forth. But many of these well intentioned call outs of support come as Shane comes to the table facing impossible situations, the toughest shots, and nastiest safeties.

And it builds as the match goes on and the weight of your team and your fan’s grows to stifling proportions.

It’s different for Shane and I think we should try and cut him some slack.

Lou Figueroa

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, there is this: unless you’re there, it’s hard to understand the atmosphere and the pressure of the MC. Yes, all the players are in the box but Shane’s situation is unique.

He constantly has all the American fans yelling their impossible expectations at him every time he comes to the table. Things like: “Time to go to work, Shane.” “Alright, Captain America, go to it.” “Let’s go, Shane.” And so on and so forth. But many of these well intentioned call outs of support come as Shane comes to the table facing impossible situations, the toughest shots, and nastiest safeties.

And it builds as the match goes on and the weight of your team and your fan’s grows to stifling proportions.

It’s different for Shane and I think we should try and cut him some slack.

Lou Figueroa

He can turn off his hearing aid but I don't think in this case our own DH has done him any favors with his antics adding to that , our guys are not built like that , we may need to reconsider how we put the team together cause we are faultering big time under the pressure every yr

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Given USA failure at the MC, selection for the team should be informed by past performance. Shane plays terrible at the MC. Years of play bears this out. He should not be on the team.

If it were winner breaks with a template rack, that would be a different story, but it is not, and it won't be, because at that game, Europe cannot win playing SVB.

The team next year should be Thorpe, Hatch, Bergman, and two others to be determined...none of which should be SVB...or Dominguez. SVB is a great player (maybe the best ever), but not at the MC.

kollegedave

I didn't think I could ever say that mine and Shane's games were similar but, holy crap, after watching him yesterday and today, I may reconsider it. :grin:

He's been missing some very routine near straight in half table shots and on a 3b that he tried to glance off of to get a safety on he hit the 3 so fat he sent whitey immediately into the corner pocket.

He was up 4-1 against Jayson and had so may chances to close it out; there were 3 opptys just in the hill-hill game, what a tough MC again for our best player in the land.

I feel bad for him, I really do. He is def snakebit at MC.

I'm not the type to give up but at 10-4 there's a lot of writing on the wall and fat ladies clearing their throats and curtains about to drop, I do believe.

We have all played in league or tourneys and got beatdowns from opponents who played extremely well and to them we should tip our hats but when we are given many opptys and we give a really poor account of ourselves it makes losing triple frustrating.

Shane's 91 yo grandpa, Gary Bloomberg, came down to give him an attaboy when he went up 4-1 on Jayson. I feel bad for him, as well. And he was looking real sporty, btw, with his red suit, black hat with silver conchos and big ponytail sticking out the back. :thumbup:

Maybe next year...

best,
brian kc

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Given USA failure at the MC, selection for the team should be informed by past performance. Shane plays terrible at the MC. Years of play bears this out. He should not be on the team.

If it were winner breaks with a template rack, that would be a different story, but it is not, and it won't be, because at that game, Europe cannot win playing SVB.

The team next year should be Thorpe, Hatch, Bergman, and two others to be determined...none of which should be SVB...or Dominguez. SVB is a great player (maybe the best ever), but not at the MC.

kollegedave
Why don't you try and find five players like Landon shuffett!!!

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why don't you try and find five players like Landon shuffett!!!

Sounds pretty good to me. If Landon set his mind to play full time, I think he could be an elite talent. He is certainly the kind of person, I would like to have representing my country.

kollegedave

hlymnstr14

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not to downplay the Patriotic feel of the MC...

but he gets $10k to come play and at least some expenses paid, if not all of them?

that's alot of money to a pro pool player. i'd say that $10k possibly $20k to the winners motivates them way more than actual MC.

but, once he is there, and it's USA, USA, USA...and it gets to him.

i felt really, really bad for him when he missed the 5. i felt really to the 10th power bad for him when he missed that 8. you just knew he was gonna miss it. he had no confidence and you can see those almost straight in shots when you need position, are sometimes the hardest shots to make.