Why Was Johnny So Mad After The Final @ T.S.?

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Sorry if this topic was already covered in one of the Turning Stone related threads but a quick scan by me has revealed nothing, so . . .

At the end of the final with Shane just having won, I may be wrong about this first part, but I think I saw Johnny snub SVB on the post-match handshake but just afterward, there was no doubt that Johnny was very agitated.

I watched as he angrily flung some balls on the tv table then was pointing out to someone some sort of problem he thought there was with a corner pocket.

Was anything mentioned about this or does anyone know what Johnny's issue was with the table aside from the fact that he just lost on it?

BTW, I enjoyed Johnny's perspective when he was able to do some commentary.

And big thanks to AZ, Accustats, and everyone else who had a hand in making this free stream available to us. :cool: :thumbup:

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed that as well. Good post, I'm interested to know if someone was there with info.

phishman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My perspective--What did he expect after beating Shane hill hill. Also he lost sight of basics kept coming up on hard shots and poor follow thru on shots he usually makes. He is getting older maybe he was tired--just saying.

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My perspective--What did he expect after beating Shane hill hill. Also he lost sight of basics kept coming up on hard shots and poor follow thru on shots he usually makes. He is getting older maybe he was tired--just saying.

Not likely the reason. Because he is getting older would not have made him snub SVB off.
Besides he's like 44, not old in the pool game by any means

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member
He's probably bummed because that table seemed to funnel the 9 toward the corner pocket on every break. It was ridiculous.

eddie0776

Bishop Cues
Silver Member
He did give a sort of a high five at first and then shook his hand after he walked around the table. He played bad that set. They both were getting lucky safes but Johnny made some bad choices on shots. I think he was tired after their battle in the first match. We all have been there after having to wait a couple of hours to play and the other guy has not stopped playing.

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's probably bummed because that table seemed to funnel the 9 toward the corner pocket on every break. It was ridiculous.

I woulda been pissed about that too but not after winning. If I was Johnny though it might make me mad at SVB because he was obviously taking advantage of it every break while Johnny was continuing with a regular cut break most times.

Maybe he considered it unsportsmanlike conduct.

Runnintable

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Turning Stone XX

I watched as much of the stream as possible. I think from my observation that Johnny was frustrated with the final match. His head was down when Shane rode the Nine -One for the win. So, he didn't jump for f*#k'n joy.
He still got up took a second to shake it off, walked around the table and
shook Shane's hand again. End of story. 2 of the best in the game.

Shout out to everybody innvolved in Tournament and Thank you AZ for the livestream.
I cannot remember the last time I saw that many Hill-Hill matches. Superb!!!

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was mad because he didn't power-draw for the 9 in the last game. Would have been the beginning of 7-and-out. :p

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member
I'm sure Johnny knows to make sure the balls are frozen to the back of the 9. If he had those frozen, I don't know how it kept going that way. Some tables break consistent. That one consistently moved the 9 toward the pocket.

I just wanted to say thanks to all involved with the tournament and streaming. I had a great time watching it all weekend. I REALLY appreciate it and I don't forget when I have extra $ to blow on pool stuff.

Chesscat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8 ball

Remember when Shane had a masse to make a hit on the 8? Johnny thought there was no contact, but it was decided it was a good hit. Was there any controversy about that? Did Shane hit the 8? Is that what Johnny was angry about?

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate tournents that are double elimination until the final. Youve made through the entire tournament without losing only to play even in the final
I don't care that they have to play a longer race...it's still not the same

Thanks fOr the free stream ! I watched it on my Phone , pad, and laptop and it was all perfect!!

MJB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just an off set for JA

My 2 cents from watching most of the final match:

Early in the match, the table wasn't breaking well for either guy, but Johnny wound up on the losing end of some safety battles and got a couple of bad rolls.

When Shane was on 9 games, he put 3 quick racks on Johnny (I think it went run out, then 1-9 combo, then snapped 9 on break). Shane seemed to really get the break down then. He was hitting a little less cut and a little harder, and the 9 was shooting toward the corner.

Last rack, Shane comes up dry, but then Johnny gives up BIH after a couple of safetys, and the 9 happend to be right next to the corner for another combo.

Long story short....pool gods were not kind to Johnny on this day. Can't blame him for being miffed a little. But both guys were breaking on the same table and scrutinizing each other's racking.

Mike

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
It just seemed that things turned or unraveled so-to-speak in the end in a way that gave JA little chance to fight back. And I think the last 9-ball ending up in the corner was just the spike in the coffin.

I think he was just frustrated not being able to do anything about it.

I thought it looked like he congratulated Shane twice: once immediately, but abruptly and a second one after he had a moment alone with the table. He waved his hand at the lower left corner pocket, probably saying something about pool gods and gypsy tramps.

Freddie <~~~ if you ain't *****in' then you just don't care enough

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Nine Ball movement on the Break

If that'....was what tweaked' em, then why didn't they wet rag the break area, or at least brush it if the nine was channelling. It's such a simple thing to do. After all the play on the TV table, the cloth in the break area, gets allot more compressed and buffed and ball indents than any other area. It's no different than on a putting surface if every pro entered the green from the same area. They should of switched ends if all else failed.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Remember when Shane had a masse to make a hit on the 8? Johnny thought there was no contact, but it was decided it was a good hit. Was there any controversy about that? Did Shane hit the 8? Is that what Johnny was angry about?

Yes, he feathered it....

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be honest Shane might be the best breaker I have ever seen. Not the hardest but technically the best. He is able to modulate his speed with a precision I have never seen before and once he dials that speed in he can consistently hit the cueball exactly the same each time. At that point it really just becomes a matter of having the exact same rack and the exact same positioning of the cueball to have the same thing happen over and over.

You don't generally see it because hardly anyone can do what Shane does on breaks as far as cueball control.

Island Drive

Silver Member
It just seemed that things turned or unraveled so-to-speak in the end in a way that gave JA little chance to fight back. And I think the last 9-ball ending up in the corner was just the spike in the coffin.

I think he was just frustrated not being able to do anything about it.

I thought it looked like he congratulated Shane twice: once immediately, but abruptly and a second one after he had a moment alone with the table. He waved his hand at the lower left corner pocket, probably saying something about pool gods and gypsy tramps.

Freddie <~~~ if you ain't *****in' then you just don't care enough

Ironically in their prior match (hill/hill) where JA knocked SVB to the losers bracket it was during a roll out situation on the one ball, which shane banked the one causing a near cinch combo on the one/nine in the lower l/h corner. All JA needed was a slightly elevated swerve/masse to win the set.