Morton Goldberg? Was this Boston Shortys real name?

middleofnowhere

Registered
I was just looking up something on the net and came across this. I knew Shorty for 40 years and I never heard him called this name just Larry Johnson.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Boston Shorty's name was Larry Johnson, but it's not outside the realm of possibility that more than one player was known as "Boston Shorty."

Larry's BCA Hall of Fame writeup below does not mention any other name.

Larry Johnson studied the techniques and shots of Boston's best. By age 20, he could beat the players he studied. Unfortunately, his skill prospered during lean times for pool (the 40's and 50's), and so, the record books don't fully credit the skills of many of the players of that era. But, Boston Shorty was simply one of the very best. Johnson was not only a top 9-Baller, but among the cream of the crop at Rotation, 1-Pocket, Straight Pool, 3-Cushion Billiards, 8-Ball, Cribbage, Cowboy and more. During the famed Johnson City and Las Vegas events of the early 1960's, Johnson captured World All-Around Champion in the last staging of both events, and later collected many other titles. Johnson mastered all games early in his career and played at that speed for four decades.

Last edited:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Good question...it has been discussed here before but never answered as far as I know.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Wikipedia shows two pool players "Boston Shorty." It's not that rare that this happens. For example, both Billy Lanna and Billy Aguero were known as Billy the Kid.

Morton Goldberg, born 12/17/16 and died 2/22/96

Contrastingly, Larry Johnson didn't die until 2000.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I vaguely remember this Goldberg guy. He was a pretty good player who thought he was a lot better than he was, and he had money. He beat some of the local players and then he challenged anyone to come and play him. Pretty soon all the top players started heading his way. After he got beat on about a dozen times he gave up. Never heard anything about him again after that. This was back in the late 60's as I recall.

I think it was the New York crowd that cured him (Jersey Red, Richie Ambrose, New York Blackie, Johnny Ervolino etc.).

I remember one other New York guy who could really play named Barry Greenberg. He was one of the best Straight Pool players around back in the 60's, but gave up pool to become a lawyer. Smart guy!

Last edited:

Dana Bufalo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Frank "Skip" DePrisco 1954 - 2014

Thanks I think that puts it to bed. How I happened to come across it I was looking up a player I knew years ago called "Fat Skippy from Boston" and I found the Morton thing. I never did find anything on Skippy

9a11d7f8-4bef-460d-b37c-41c887946921.jpgx

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/wickedlocal-acton/obituary.aspx?pid=170474779

middleofnowhere

Registered
Wow, thank you so much. Yes I remember some called him "Skip the jeweler"
He could really play. I was told he used to even give Boston Shorty fits when they played. He would bet to and often trapped players thinking they were going to make a score only to discover how good he could play. Did you know him?
I actually started another thread about breaking just to tell about him and his amazing break.
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=512806

Last edited: