what Cue for a Woman

Chadk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am going to have to upgrade my girlfriends McDermott Lucky cue. This is so I can keep buying cues.....:thumbup: She keeps asking where is her's....:grin:

Ok, seriously now...... I have seen the line of Athena Cue's. That might fit the bill so if any of you have any experience or knowledge on those I'd be interested to hear what you have to say.
My girlfriend is short and pretty petite and has smaller hands. I'd think a shorter cue would make sense. You'd think a slightly smaller DIA shaft would be good. And she is the girly type so she wants it to be "Pretty".

Now she is far from a serious player. She does play on an APA team with me once a week and we shoot at home occasionally. (I mean occasionally she'll come shoot with me). She can not find center ball for the life of her. Has a natural right english that frustrates the heck outta me, so I may try to get something with a LD shaft or find one second hand that would fit down the road.

So any of you faced with a similar situation of having to get a "pretty" cue for your girlfriend that was still a solid shooter.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i gave my gf a predator. she shoots better with it than a player she had previously.

i know what you mean about being frustrated, my girlfriend could not hit center of ball if her life depended on it:(

shanesinnott

Follow Through
Silver Member
I am going to have to upgrade my girlfriends McDermott Lucky cue. This is so I can keep buying cues.....:thumbup: She keeps asking where is her's....:grin:

Ok, seriously now...... I have seen the line of Athena Cue's. That might fit the bill so if any of you have any experience or knowledge on those I'd be interested to hear what you have to say.
My girlfriend is short and pretty petite and has smaller hands. I'd think a shorter cue would make sense. You'd think a slightly smaller DIA shaft would be good. And she is the girly type so she wants it to be "Pretty".

Athena Cues are a good choice, designed specifically for women. The shafts are a smaller diameter and the butts are thinner and the cues come with a free extension which would help your girlfriend on longer shots. The price point on them is very good too. (I could suggest an OB cue :) but based on what you mentioned above, Athena might fit her very well)

Chadk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the players hxt-70 is nice plus it comes with a kamui black tip
around $108 shipped. tim
http://www.cueandcase.com/supplies/hxt70.html

I like the players. would probably be a good option since it comes with their version of an LD shaft and the Kamui tip. I sent her the picture to see if it was "pretty".

That Athena is looks like a good option also. I believe they are an inch or so shorter. 57" maybe, and come with the 10" extension, A real cool feature especially for someone barely 5'3".

Chadk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Athena Cues are a good choice, designed specifically for women. The shafts are a smaller diameter and the butts are thinner and the cues come with a free extension which would help your girlfriend on longer shots. The price point on them is very good too. (I could suggest an OB cue :) but based on what you mentioned above, Athena might fit her very well)

Thanks Shane! Maybe we'll get her the Athena and me the OB? Hey I'm right here in the Metroplex too !

rburgoyne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got my wife (who is petite as well) to start playing league about 5-6 years ago when we were still dating. I gave her an old Lucasi to start with and then she wanted something pink so she bought herself a Pechauer. The Pechauer was the wrong shade of pink, and she was never too happy with it. Eventually I got her a custom Pink Ivory and Spalted Maple cue a couple years back which she still shoots with, and it plays very nice. Of course after all that time she still bounces between an APA 2-3, so the cue doesn't play to its full potential too often. :D Not sure what your budget is, but a nice simple custom by one of the many cue makers on the forum could be a thought too. Here is my wife's.

Albrecht-All.jpg

fhopper

I like Points
Silver Member
I bought the house a girly cue which my wife likes; from Neilsens billiards $95 McDermott M61L
m61la.jpg
m61lb.jpg

Then I bought her a blue cue because that is her favorite color, from ASKA Viking F82 $115.

vikingf82b.jpg

vikingf82f.jpg

MFB

Just a User
Silver Member
FWIW, I would NOT get her a cue shaft that is thinner. I would get her a shft that is larger...like 13 MM.

By doing this, she will use LESS unintended english.

Chadk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought the house a girly cue which my wife likes; from Neilsens billiards $95 McDermott M61L
m61la.jpg
m61lb.jpg

Then I bought her a blue cue because that is her favorite color, from ASKA Viking F82 $115.

vikingf82b.jpg

vikingf82f.jpg

Sure do like the blue in that Viking! Very nice. The McDermott is very close to the one she currently shoots with.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
I know a couple of women who play with Athena cues and seem to be quite happy with them. One of them asked me to try it and I found it far too light and whippy for my tastes, but I'm not exactly dainty. Or a woman.

(I could suggest an OB cue :) but based on what you mentioned above, Athena might fit her very well)

Nice to see that kind of support for another cue company Shane. That makes me more interested in your products because you're not always, "me, me, me."