Seriously, Do you like pool events on 7 foot table?

Seriously, Do you like pool events on 7 foot table?

• Yes

Votes: 69 29.2%
  • No

Votes: 138 58.5%
  • Neutral - makes no difference to me

Votes: 29 12.3%

• Total voters

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love watching pros play on baby tables. Sorry don't like safety battles on the big boy tables. On the baby tables they go for long banks and play less safes. Sure they run out at a higher percentage. It's pretty high on any table. I just like offense from pros.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't like Mickey Mantle batting on a Little League Field. I don't want Lebron dunking on a 7ft rim and I don't want SVB playing pool on a bar box.

THIS IS DISREPECTFUL TO THE GAME AND AN ABSOLUTE JOKE.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many handfuls not a handful

no offense, but AZB should no longer be his target audience.

Very prescient comment :)
Funnily on ABR http://www.americanbilliardradio.com/ last week's episode 16 July2015 (from 42nd minute) , a CSI executive claims "flak has come from handful of people on AzBilliards " on use of 7ft table for current CSI USO events
Definition of handful is 5 or less.
This poll clearly put paid to the notion that there is only a handful , There are many many handfuls of Azb people who do not like 7ft
:grin:

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Only two things count.

#1 how did the PPV do this year vs past years on 9 footer?

#2 Whats the cost savings vs what they lost in viewership or participation. Lets be serious the Bar Box selection for Pro side is a concession for cost.

Nick

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
If I had a choice I would always play and always watch Pro events on 9' tables. Unfortunately I do not have much control over what is offered to me so I end up playing and watching Pro events on 7" tables, that does not make me care for it any less. The 9' tables are just a preference, if my choice is 9' or nothing else or watching and playing on 7' tables I will continue to participate, not eliminate pool from my life. If I did not like 9' tables I would not have one at home, I plan to add a 7' table to my home also. In the 4 years I have played pool so far I have not seen any local tournaments on 9' tables. We have weekly tournaments at a pool hall with 9' tables but apparently nobody but me wants to play on them. If you are in the midwest I think you have no choice but to adapt to the 7' tables, it looks like the 9's are becoming a thing of the past. Fortunately I am not as good as some of the 7' haters here because I still do not break and run every game of 9 ball, I still enjoy it on barboxes, I guess I hope I never get as good some as those who won't play on barboxes because they are too easy.

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
Very prescient comment :)
Funnily on ABR http://www.americanbilliardradio.com/ last week's episode 16 July2015 (from 42nd minute) , a CSI executive claims "flak has come from handful of people on AzBilliards " on use of 7ft table for current CSI USO events
Definition of handful is 5 or less.
This poll clearly put paid to the notion that there is only a handful , There are many many handfuls of Azb people who do not like 7ft
:grin:

i'm listening to ABR now. wow - "we do expect both (fields) to fill".

your poll speaks volumes, percentage-wise: 67 / 25. and i'm sure Mark & Ozzy (and maybe some sponsors?) will look at it & the comments.

of the 67 herein, PPV was $60: $4000. how many of those 67 would have paid for the stream if on 9fts? (you need to do another poll, Honey - or CSI would, if they wanted to know....)

as painful as it is to say, we don't think they are focused on that. what % of the revenue is from streams? they probably barely break even if costs are $1000/day. perhaps it's a courtesy?

they're making their money off of the thousands of leagues players on-site, dropping dime. that's where the money is today, in pool. it's not in pro tourneys. but MG's apparently trying to integrate them. if he can get the thousands of leagues players' friends/families/halls to buy the PPV, then that, is his new target audience.

if the 40,000 AZB members were buying the stream in the past & suddenly boycotted this year for 7fts - he'd probably listen to $2.4M. ;)

accustatsfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What makes any event pro pool anyway?

Golf has different levels of pro tours with strict qualifying standards for players to compete pool doesn't.

Its fun watching Webb tour golfers play on easier courses than the PGA tour and watching these talented golfers tear it up. That would be like 7 foot tables. PGA tour would be like 9 or 10 foot tables.

Until there are qualifying requirements for a person to play in a pro event we should be happy there is any kind of pool to watch. I watch everything including snooker and English 8 ball.

You want pros to play on bigger tables than there should be something about the event that jumps out to the paying public that makes it worth watching.

Right now the only thing that seems to make a pro a pro is a player that is capable of winning or being highly competitive in the event. No credible tour with a marketing campaign we get what we get.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like 2015 US Open 10b has 77 entries and 2013 had 94. Not sure why qualifiers were needed.

I don't mind pool tourneys on 7ft tables, but some events should've remained on the big table such as the US Open 10b. Exhibition matches like Shane vs Dechaine, Shaw vs Duel would've much more been enjoyable on the big table too.

I would've for sure paid to watch the US Open 10b and the Shane vs Dechaine match if it was on the big table. No way on the 7ft.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Pool in the somewhere else besides Vegas

I would love to see some pool in the South. Something that had a venue for seating. I don't have any room to complain about 7 ft tables and there isn't anywhere that I know of that is setup so you can watch pool locally which to me is like......What?

If you cant watch a good match at home, not much chance its going to take hold or anyone is going to buy a stream.

My crystal ball says pool is moving into private clubs, homes, basements and outbuildings and barboxes...oh already?! well guess Im right then!

Mrdodd72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just rolling with it

I used to despise 7ft events, but that is that state of pool in the U.S. No amount of lamentation will curb the tide of bar table dominance. Room owners must squeeze every nickel, out of every square inch of their establishments, just to stay afloat. It's much harder to find 9fts to play on, let alone 9ft tournaments to play in. And the fact is, novice players see the 7fts as an equalizer, rightly or wrongly. I have accepted this unfortunate turn in the sport. So I find my self seeking out videos of 7ft events in order to see how the pros adapt to the changes, and see if I can pick up some of their knowledge. You can roll with it, or spend your days away complaining about; It's still a free country (for now, at least.)

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If 7 ft'ers are so easy, why are all the forum champions not entering and winning all the tournys?

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nobody is saying league players aren't real pool players.

What we're saying is that the PROFESSIONAL player SHOULD be playing on equipment that's tougher than what your average league player plays on.

I agree with this. I play league on 7' because that's readily available. I also practice and play some weekly tourneys on 9'. I enjoy both, but prefer to watch the pros on 9'.

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
I'm not quite sure why everyone thinks it's a given that leagues are played on 7' tables. All 4 of my local leagues are played on 9' tables. I know bar tables are big in the midwest, but I also know in the northeast 9' tables are king. I'd be interested to see the actual statistics of how many leagues are played on bar tables versus how many are played on 9' tables.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There could have been a distinction listed in poll that would have effected how I voted. What I mean is do I like playing in barbox events ? I sure do. I grew up learning to play on fullsizes and prob most of the playing I've done has been on FS but I sure do enjoy the BB too.

Now if the question is geared toward what would I like to see the pros play on, well while I'd like to see them play on BB OCCASIONALLY I would prefer and think they should play majority of the time on fullsizes and bigger.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There could have been a distinction listed in poll that would have effected how I voted. What I mean is do I like playing in barbox events ? I sure do. I grew up learning to play on fullsizes and prob most of the playing I've done has been on FS but I sure do enjoy the BB too.

Now if the question is geared toward what would I like to see the pros play on, well while I'd like to see them play on BB OCCASIONALLY I would prefer and think they should play majority of the time on fullsizes and bigger.
I totally agree about the occasionally part. I kind of like the novelty if they play on them once in a while. However, it seems that too many tournaments are turning to the 7 footer

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
If by event you mean tournaments, then yes I do. I used to play a lot of week-night tourneys on bar size tables. They were fun. :)

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Watching pros play on 7 footers is a complete joke to me, I can't see any point to it at all other than the pure novelty of it when I first watched it. The first time I saw it. It was interesting for about 5 minutes and then I was bored to tears. They would have to physically restrain me to make me watch an entire event on equipment like that.

I might enjoy a little bit of play on the 7 footer if nothing else is available, but I'd rather play on any other type of billiard equipment than a bar box: 9 footers, snooker tables, carom tables of any size etc...